Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Spinoff Is D.O.A.

Agents of SHIELD SPinoff Cancelled

Embedded within the flurry of renewals and new series orders issued by ABC on Thursday night was the non-announcement that the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. spinoff had died on the vine.

The prospective offshoot was said to pivot off a storyline unfolding at the end of this season and revolve around the characters of Bobbi “Mockingbird” Morse (played by Adrianne Palicki) and colleague/sometime-beau Lance Hunter (Nick Blood).

Other buzzy ABC pilots failing to get out of the gate, per our sister site Deadline, include the multigenerational family sitcom that would have reunited Vacation‘s Chevy Chase and Beverly D’Angelo, that NBA-based and -blessed comedy and the Revenge-y Kingmakers, while The Broad Squad may get reworked for future reconsideration.

Are you relieved that S.H.I.E.L.D. will keep Bobbi and Hunter?

1. Mr. Tran K says:

Good thing ABC made the right decision not to move forward with the SHIELD spin-off. At least both Marvel series in SHIELD and Carter are coming back which is always good news to them.

• Jack says:

You’re an idiot. The spinoff would have been better than the 40s trype with Dead Peggy.

• Jack Horton says:

You’re an idiot for even entertaining the idea that the spinoff was even in the same league as Agent Carter. The bobbi relationship is crap in the show, it’s boring, and couldn’t POSSIBLY have held together even a limited series, let alone a full order. We know it – they know it – therefore, it got killed from the start.

2. CJ Dawn says:

I definitely prefer a second season of Agent Carter over this series making it to air. But does this mean Bobbi and Hunter get to stay on S.H.I.E.L.D.? I love Hunter’s chemistry with the rest of the team (I especially loved the buddy cop-esque episode with him and Coulson recently) and was disappointed at the possibility of him leaving.

3. klark says:

DOA means dead on arrival. Since it never “arrived”, it technically can’t be DOA.

4. Badpenny says:

I would have much rather seen a Mockingbird/Hunter spin-off then another Season of Agent Carter. What Marvel is really missing on TV is the superhero vrs supervillain aspect of the genre – which is what DC is much more about. Mockingbird could have given them that. Oh well.

5. Kate says:

I’m very relieved they are staying on S.H.I.E.L.D. I mean as war torn as the series is likely to get between now and next May, you sort of need the humor from Lance (and his little bro trio, even if it just ends up him and Fitz) and Bobbi seems to have a place on the regular show (someone who started on the Simmons view of the Inhumans but seems to be moving to the Fitz perspective).

6. Katherine215 says:

I’m disappointed for them that we won’t get a show about Bobbi and Hunter, but I very much enjoy both their characters on the mothership, so I’m glad they’re staying. Bobbi a little less so since this “real Shield” reveal, but hopefully they redeem her.

7. Vivi says:

Well, IF they are staying on SHIELD I would be happy. The thing is: are they staying? Because I enjoyed Hunter this season tremendously. He was one of things I was looking forward to every week. But them leaving the show and not getting the spin off would be a double loss. In the last few weeks I really warmed up to the idea of the spin off. SHIELD has this big ensemble cast and sometimes I have the feeling they can´t develope all characters, because they have so many of them.
    In short: if they are staying on I hope they get a little bit more screen time and I really hope that they not-announcement of the spin off means we lose those two.

8. Daisy says:

Hopefully this means Hunter stays on SHIELD. He’s been one of the best parts of this season. I would’ve watched the new show but it didn’t really pique my interests all that much.

9. Eurydice says:

Bobby and Hunter are ok, but what I’m really relieved about is there will be no spinoff at all. I think AoS is getting pretty complex, with a lot of plot threads and many characters to service – I’d rather the producers concentrate on making this show as good as it can be.

10. James D says:

I’m ok with it. I like both characters where they are on AOS they add a lot to the show. and if it meant this show over Agent Carter I’ll gladly take AC.

11. Carla Krae says:

It was probably too soon. They can revisit the idea later.

12. AgentPhilCoulson says:

This is probably a good thing. Bobbi and Hunter have been the best of the new additions this season, and going forward them staying on the mother ship instead of attempting to carry their own series is probably the best thing for the MCU TV Universe as a whole. Especially considering Agent Carter’s unlikely, yet exciting to hear Season 2 pickup.

13. Larry says:

To be honest, I had no problem with Mockingbird and Hunter going to a spinoff. Only because I think it also could accommodate other characters too like Ward. I have no idea how the producers are going to work Ward into an active part of the team since it’s obvious the team no longer wants him. Bobbi and Lance didn’t have that bad blood with Ward so I could see the producers spinning Ward off to the spinoff. Of course, now the producers are going to have to shoehorn Ward into the original team because they really have no option now -unless the plan is for the character to pop in and out like he has done since midseason 2.

14. Drew says:

AoS is far from being a great show, but these two actors/characters have made the season a little more fun to watch (despite Bobbi being a backstabber who isn’t getting enough heck about her actions). Now they should keep them on AoS and get rid of some of the season 1 people… Ward is useless, May never worked for me (love the actress though) and while I like Fitz, I just can’t watch him without being very distracted by his remarkable lack of brain damage lately. He either needs to go, or they need to reveal that Simmons has been secretly dosing him with some experimental/alien McGuffin cure.

15. mgs2277 says:

Liked the idea of the spin off, but think it’s too soon for it. They are good characters and AOS needed to keep them. Glad Agent Carter is back. Marvel will be well represented on Netflix, so no need to rush

• Lisa says:

I agree, I think Bobbi & Hunter are strong characters on AOS. Spinning them off right now might not be the smartest idea, since they’ve definitely helped the show grow. Pulling them out right now is too risky. It could make a difference on getting season 4.

16. Liz says:

I’d rather have Agent Carter.

17. I think S.H.I.E.L.D. could have stood on it’s own without Bobbi and Hunter but those two brought a special dynamic to the team this season that we didn’t have last. Before Skye transformed into Daisy and showed she could kick some serious a–, there was only May as the strong female fighter in the group; Bobbi added another person to that fold. Hunter, while also a strong male fighter in the group brings a LOT of comedy to show; his and Coulson’s one-liners are some of the most memorable!

I’m interested to see the storyline mentioned above play out in the final episodes of Season 2. Would be interesting to see what direction they would have taken them.

18. Steve F. says:

Sucks that Adrianne Palicki couldn’t get her own show, but let’s be honest – she’s better in an ensemble like Agents of SHIELD. (And besides, she’s one of the best parts of the show!)

19. BrightLight says:

Man, I was actually looking forward to Chev and Bev and The Kingmakers…which is probably why they didn’t make the cut. ;)

20. Shannon says:

I’m completely ok with this. I love Hunter on S.H.I.E.L.D and the way he plays off of Coulson and Fitz have been some of my favorite moments of late. I also think that introducing another element that ‘should’ sync up with the MCU would be even more difficult than syncing up S.H.I.E.L.D, which some of the EPs have already gone on record saying that has been challenging.
    Also, cheers for the renewal of Carter. I want to see this far more than I would want to see a spinoff of S.H.I.E.L.D.

21. Cody S says:

I think the Agents of SHIELD them too much to lose them for a spin-off, personally Bobbie and Hunter have become my favorite characters so if they were on their own series I would choose it before SHIELD. Just give more from them in season three please!!!

22. jessiecrimefighter says:

So relieved! Bobbi deserves her own show, but I love her being part of the team, and her friendship with Simmons, and I can’t get enough of Hunter, Fitz and Coulson! Fitz and Hunter’s growing friendship has been really endearing in recent episodes as well, and I really want to see more of Hunter and Skye snarking at each other like they did in the first half of the season. Basically Hunter has great chemistry with the team and I want to see more of it.

23. Deion says:

I’m not sad. If not Bobby, AoS needs Hunter after the loss of Triplett.

24. Dude says:

:( The Kingsmakers

25. Abby says:

So it has been confirmed they are staying on AoS for season 3?

26. Alyssa says:

I am relieved. I actually feel like these 2 couldn’t carry a whole show. They need to stay on SHIELD. I figured once they announced Agent Carter that they wouldn’t carry on with this show, which is a good thing. Agent Carter is a great show.

27. GhostWolf says:

Hopefully Hunter will remain a regular character next season. Him, Fitz and Coulson are a trip together. As for Bobbi, the thrill has been gone for awhile.

28. Strange since Kingmakers was only recently touted as one of the frontrunners. The studios sometimes seem to make these decisions fast and loose!

29. Billie says:

I am glad. I am sick of all these Marvel or Marvel like shows. Enough is enough. I do watch a couple, but I am tired of good shows getting cancelled (Forever, Hart of Dixie) and they replace them with more super hero or super natural shows.

30. Nala says:

Go desicison. I don’t think it would have worked anyone, probably would have gotten cancelled after 1 season. They can’t have 3 of the Marvael shows on at once. I don’t think those 2 characters could have carried a show either.

31. Lizo says:

Probably because we got Agent Carter…which is A-OK in my book. Hope Mockingbird stays on Shield though.

32. Luis says:

AoS is certainly not the kind of ratings blockbuster that one would imagine would justify a spin-off. Happy to have Adrianne Paliciki sticking around and Nick Blood’s Hunter has developed a nice rapport with Coulson, so I am glad to see him stay on AoS.

33. Jason says:

As long as Adrianne Palicki is on my TV I’m happy.

34. Babygate says:

Unlike every other case of a rejected pilot, this is a case of the spinoff outshining the original. Bobbie and Nick are the best characters in the show, old or new. I suspect the spinoff would have rendered SHIELD irrelevant. Clearly Mockingbird is a threat to SHIELD. Too bad, I was looking forward to the spinoff.

35. Maryann says:

I would have watched the NBA comedy. I can’tbelieve they passd on that one.

36. jenn says:

I think Bobbi got to much screen time for a boring character but Hunter is great. Hope they keep him in the original AoS. I’m glad AC is returning. I think a 3rd show would have been too much at this time.

37. Grey says:

Awwwe. This might explain the renewal of “Agent Carter.” Hmm.

38. Rick Katze says:

While the spinoff could have been good, it entails a risk of spreading the story too much and weakening AoS and AgCa. The interesting question is do either or both of them have a contract with AoS. Any information there, Matt?
    Regarding the show last night, the body count was impressive. And every time Ward looks like he might be trending to the light, he reverts, usually in a very nasty way.
    Regarding Coulson’s hand, I wonder if the drug he was given to bring him back to live will result in the hand growing back?

39. kevthepoet says:

I wanna see Hunter kick more butt hand to hand. Whoever choreographed fight scenes in Daredevil get them on shield. I want the fights to be more gritty and believeable, although the fights in the season finale were better than usual, respect due.

40. phocol says:

they might not come back

41. I feel like a third series would have been too much to have at the same time, but if they did a season in between season 2 and season 3 of Agents of SHIELD, I would have been thrilled to watch it. And, they can always still do it later, right?

42. Laura says: