Cristela Cancelled at ABC

Cristela Premiere Ratings

Unlike the ABC comedy’s titular lawyer, Cristela is done climbing the ladder of success.

The sitcom has been cancelled after just one season, TVLine has learned.

Though it premiered to solid ratings — and favorable reviews from TVLine readers — in October, Cristela simply didn’t maintain enough momentum to earn a spot on ABC’s 2015-2016 schedule.

TVLine’s renewal scorecard has been updated to reflect the loss of Cristela.

How are you feeling about the cancellation? Drop your emotions in a comment below.

1. Mr. Tran K says:

Bye bye Cristela. Very disappointing sitcom from the start.

2. thisismenow says:

Andy stop breaking my heart tonight

3. Mare says:

ABC is really blowing it for me tonight. First, Forever and now Cristela. SUCKS!!

• MillieC says:

I agree!! Forever and Cristela were both good shows.

• The Watcher says:

Agreed. Gut Punch #1 was Forever, Gut Punch #2 was Cristela. One of the few sitcoms that could actually stay clean, provide endearing characters, and make me laugh.

• yvonne medina says:

YOU ARE SO RIGHT! ABC LEAVES SHOW ON THAT HAVE KILLINGS AND STUFF THAT WE ALL DONT NEED.

• TonyNYC says:

Then don’t watch, but don’t tell everyone else what types of shows “we” should watch. Your not my mother (actually, I don’t let my mother dictate my TV viewing either).

• April says:

I’m so tired of violence masquerading as entertainment. I don’t get it.

• that is depressingly true. I hate violence, gore, etc; so much of that already takes place and I would even go so far as to say it gives deranged idiots ideas.

• Blanca says:

I really love the show. Very funny and loved that Gabriel Iglesias was in it lol hopefully they change their minds for a season 2

4. Bradster says:

Why are you intent on making me cry tonight?! Over and over. All my shows. Lawwwwwdddd

5. Wtactualf says:

I loved Cristela! Now I’ll never know if she ends up with Josh!

6. Lina says:

I am off ABC Friday night shows. I loved this show😂

7. Lyle Felton says:

I have always enjoyed hearing and seeing Brian Williams at the News Desk. Hoping he returns. Soon.

8. Carla Krae says:

Bummer. It got funnier as it went.

9. Silvia, Clove and Cinnamon says:

UGH man…why!? Cristela was so good! It made some really good jokes about being Mexican in America. Sadness.

• Priscila says:

Yes!! You just said it only MEXICAN AMERICAN’s get it sadly ur not enough to put ratings up

• Mary says:

I don’t think that’s true. If it was fresh off the boat and blackish woildnt have worked.

I didn’t watch (Friday) but I’m guessing it had more to do with time slot and positioning it as show like last man standing that hurt it then her being mexican.

• Diana says:

Of course you wouldn’t understand because that comment you said PRISCILA makes you racist. This show is not only for Mexican American its for everyone who had to work really hard trying to get to the top. But sadly your mentality wouldn’t understand Priscila since your only seeing it as a Mexican American show.

• Karl says:

I’m a white man from Texas and loved it.

• VT_jizzyfingrz says:

Black AF and I loved it

• Rod Labbe says:

Nobody cares. This isn’t Mexico.

10. big cheddar says:

I wonder if she’ll end up on The View?

• :-) says:

I think she will end up on the view. Personally I think if they weren’t putting her on the view they might have given her another season. The show was funny. The problems started because you never knew if the show was new during the last half of the season

• Rod Labbe says:

She’s been badmouthing the network, so it’s doubtful she’ll be on ABC again in your lifetime.

11. Elaine Marrero says:

Really enjoyed Cristella and can’t believe it’s cancelled. Need more good funny family shows on tv. Keep Last Man Standing on the air also.

12. Carolina says:

This show had some really good episodes, it had much potential. Sorry to see it go.

13. Josh Emerson says:

Sad, I really liked Cristela. :(

14. Priscila says:

I can’t even imagine that show being picked in the first place. Probably some Latino employee that has connection to ABC bigwigs coz that is the only way this show will be on air.

15. tradeaday66 says:

critella and forever were 2 great shows.
    No reason for them to be canceled

16. RC says:

WOW….My whole entire family watches this show with Blackish and Fresh Off The Boat….This is CRAZY ABC…CANCLE that Tim Allen Show..now that SUCKS..BORING

17. Kevin says:

So very sad. One of the few truly funny “laugh track” sitcoms out there!

18. SD says:

Liked the show… Hate to see it go… In my opinion, big mistake for ABC. I guess I’ll just stop watching new shows from now on until we see if they make it past at least a couple seasons. Keep getting disappointed by early cancellation of good comedies with the potential to grow into big hits, just to make room for shows that have pretty much similar concept or style of other existing shows.

19. JVee says:

Sorry to hear this news. The show was kind of old-fashioned, but also pretty delightful. Liked the characters and the message, and it often made me laugh. :(

20. Matty Si. says:

I loved this show. I am sad but not surprised. I must be off with my comedies bc it seems like every one I like gets canceled after one season for sooner. And the ones I don’t watch are getting all the rewards.

I guess I just have to stick with hour long dramas.

21. JB Smooove says:

boooooooooo!

22. Jeanette says:

What? No, I loved Cristela!!!! Such a bummer for me. Definitely won’t be watching ABC on Friday nights.

23. Babygate says:

This one hurt. I was hoping for the best but the truth is that it was not very funny. Stand up comedians don’t always make good comedic actors.

24. K says:

Is a hispanic show. Thats why it got cancel, dont see whats so diferent from blackish or last man standing, or that boring show named fresh off the boat that got picked up. O yea, its a hispanic show. THIS CHANNEL SOUNDS KIND OF RACIST TO ME. Liked that show, oh well back to watching fresh of the boat. 💤💤💤

• Rod says:

Fresh off the Boat is funny. It doesn’t need canned laughter to tell us when to laugh.

• a.c. says:

Fresh off the boat started off funny, but the last few episodes have really not been good. Cristela started out rough and smoothed out nicely after the first couple episodes. It didn’t deserve to be cancelled.

• Alice says:

Then how come ABC ran George Lopez for 6 seasons idiot. Cristela was terrible. Fresh Off the Boat is actually funny and doesn’t need a stupid laugh track to tell us when to laugh.

25. Renee says:

Sorry that Cristela got cancelled. I think she is funny. I enjoyed the show. Best wishes to Cristela in the future.

26. kathy says:

That STINKS! ! ! ! ! Finally a funny and enjoyable show and you pull it off. Why so you can put on another “reality” show? Like the real (you mean fake) housewives of “wherever”, another stupid talent show where the winner is rarely heard from again after they win the season. Put Cristela back, that show is great and makes me laugh. I looked forward to it every week

27. Diana Griffin says:

Its wrong to cancel a funny shiw if Mexican family making good. CRISTELA is great role models for so many poor young ladies who want to be a professional like her. Her shiw kepts it real for many families.

28. Really? Sorry you couldn’t feel connected with the characters but a lot of people who did are very hurt that a show with a lot of heart and soul wasn’t promoted enough by ABC. It was the only show in a very long time that brought families and friends of All Hispanic or Latino heritage together. We were portrayed in a positive light on that show…finally! Something we were proud to support. So sorry you could not see it from our perspective.

29. Kim says:

This is the only sitcom I actually liked, this sucks!

30. Kim R says:

I didn’t watch Cristela every week but I think it had a lot of potential. I found the characters funny and the premise very entertaining. There was just something about the delivery of the punchlines that felt kind of “obvious” to me or something. I am not surprised it was cancelled but I do think with a little tweaking it would have been much better.

31. Amanda says:

They stuck Cristella on Friday nights which isn’t the best time slot anyway, I feel like they weren’t really giving her a chance. Also it really bugged me that sometimes the show’s picture on demand wouldn’t be Cristella at all but the actress who played her sister. Was that playing into the show’s sometimes theme that the sister was the pretty one and Cristella was the smart one? It just seemed like ABC was branding the show incorrectly.

32. Not Me says:

Mindy Project and Cristela both cancelled. :)

If I were a liberal, I would accuse the networks of “hatred of chubby brown women.” Racism! Sexism! Size-ism!

33. NomoreABC says:

Cristella cancelled?
    Well, that’s it for me. No other shows on ABC interested me in watching.

34. HBH says:

I am so sad about Cristela. I thought it was really funny mostly because of the lead actress. The time slot was terrible to begin with. Who stays at home to watch friday night comedies anyway. They should have gotten another chance on a different day

35. Maryann says:

OMG no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I loved this show!!!!!!!!!!!!

36. Jay says:

I loved this show :(

37. S,Sanchez says:

I can’t believe they would do this, it’s an awesome show with home values incorporated in the shows. Not to mention that it intertwined with other shows on this network. Very sad they are doing this I really loved watching with the family!

38. YCR says:

That’s a real shame. I loved comedy night on Friday night. I always looked forward to seeing it since the show first came on. I sure hope she shops this around to another venue – maybe cable – so her fans can follow. Cristela rocks!

39. Fatimah Mohammed says:

OMG! I lover her show. She is so funny and real! How do we get it back!??

40. Kelli says:

Please don’t cancel Cristela. Its my favorite show. I hate you ABC. First, mcdreamy and now Cristela. Why?

• Rod says:

Why aren’t you happy that ran the show at all? I don’t see any other network giving Cristella a try, do you?

41. jclob says:

A shame, ABC didn’t bother trying to find a better evening to give it a true chance.

42. Michael J Helms says:

I LOVE Cristela (the character and the show =) ), PLEASE bring it back…so funny!!!

43. Luis says:

My wife and I enjoyed this show very much – a nice family comedy with an appealing cast. I hope to see Cristela back in a new show soon.

44. Martin says:

TWF…
    Cristela was the best show that would come out on friday. Bring back Cristela back

45. L. Roberts says:

This is very disappointing, mainly because it broke so many frontiers for Latinos and Women in television. My children, my husband and I all enjoyed watching this show very much. I hope that this inspires other Latinos to continue to try and get on television with similar wholesome humor.

46. Dawn says:

I loved the show, thought it was really funny, I really hope that you change your mind about this show I don’t have many shows I do watch on Friday nights now, plz bring it back

47. Bill fitch says:

A mistake. Christela was only getting better. An appealing cast. Cute story lines. Something to say. She will have a great career and the last laugh.

48. Yolanda says:

So disappointed Cristela was cancelled!! Cristela was such a good show and was actually my favorite show on the Friday line up. I will not be watching any TV shows on ABC on Friday any more.

49. jessica says:

I LOVED CRISTELA MY FAM AND ME WATCHED IT RELIGIOUSLY EVERY WEEK…..I WANNA KNOW WHAT HAPPENS PLEASE BRING IT BACK….FUNNY COMEDY

50. Sachie Medina says:

I am very disappointed that Cristela was cancelled. The show was funny and I loved the characters. I will never know if she ends up with Josh or not. Cristela was THE ONLY show that made me look forward for Friday night viewing with my family. Wrong decision ABC.

• Suzie says:

OMG couldn’t agree with you more on everything you said!! So disappointed that it was cancelled yet Fresh of the Boat is still on. Dumb move ABC!! I know this comment is really late but just saw her stand up comedy and had to look into why the show was cancelled and came across this