Shadowhunters: Katherine McNamara Tapped to Star as Clary Fray

Shadowhunters Clary Fray Cast

The hunt for ABC Family’s next leading lady has finally come to an end.

The network on Wednesday announced that Katherine McNamara will star as Clary Fray in Shadowhunters, the upcoming drama based on Cassandra Clare’s Mortal Instruments book series.

Clary is a young girl who discovers on her 18th birthday that she’s a Shadowhunter, a human-angel hybrid born to hunt demons. The series will follow her as she teams up with fellow Shadowhunter Jace and best friend Simon to fulfill her destiny.

McNamara — who previously co-starred on MTV’s short-lived drama Happyland — joins previously announced cast members Dominic Sherwood as Jace, Alberto Rosende as Simon and Emeraude Toubia as Isabelle.

Bonus: Rosende gave viewers a sneak peek at Shadowhunters’ Simon when he shot this video for ABC Family in his characters’ iconic glasses:

Your thoughts on McNamara as Clary? Drop ’em in a comment below.

1. Wordsmith says:

I’m not familiar with her previous work, but she certainly seems to look the part, at the very least.

2. Melanie says:

I was a fan of her on happyland so this is exciting. Surprising they chose someone with such little acting experience but i’m sure she’ll do well.

• Lizo says:

ABC Family seems to do that often with their dramas. Which is great; seems like a great network for young actors to get a start on

3. Alyse says:

She looks the part. I’ve only seen her in Happyland and I liked her in that.

4. Sarah says:

Seems to look the part…hope she can act!

5. Lizo says:

Awesome! She’s a great choice. Looking forward to this; it’s so much better as a TV series than a movie.

6. Dmac says:

Good casting, pleasantly surprised. I didn’t think of her, but she is a good fit for the role.

7. Danielle says:

Honestly, I have so many doubts about this show, it gets pretty dark as it goes along and it really doesn’t belong on ABC Family of all places. I predict it will eventually end up canceled like so many shows do on this network. I’m not excited for any of the casting so far but then again I’ve never seen any of them act. I hope this show turns out really well and I hope it thrives, really I do. I’m gonna reserve total judgment, though, until the pilot.

8. Anon says:

I assume she will either dye her hair black or wear a wig. If not my heart will break. I wish it would have been decided to do a tv series before they produced the movie. Now my head is all mixed up with the characters. I absolutely loved the movie and book series and hope the TV series exceeds my expectations. Don’t let me down ABC Family

Sincerely
    The Immortal Instuments biggest fan
    P.S. Good choice on the actor who will be playing Simon. He gives me hope.

• Lindsay says:

Why on earth would she dye her hair black or wear a wig?! Did you even read the book?? Clary was a red head. And was very clearly described as such in the books.
      Also, the book series is called The MORTAL Instruments (not the immortal instruments)
      I’m wondering if you are just trolling…

• maddie says:

Christ. The IMMORTAL INSTRUMENTS? Did you even read the book?

• Nicole says:

Yea right your hardly their biggest fan if you don’t even know the main characters hair colour or the name of the series, you clearly didn’t read the book

9. Anon says:

I assume she will wear a wig or dye her hair. I wish the decision to make a TV series would have been done before doing a movie, it’s just too confusing.

• SAM says:

Why is this so confusing? The character, as mentioned ad nauseum in “The Mortal Instruments” series, has red hair, and Katherine McNamara appears to have red hair so there is nothing confusing. Looks like the casting director did a good job.

10. Lauren says:

I thought she was great on Happyland, even though I didn’t like Harper as a character. Like the casting so far (even though you can’t really make a complete judgement until the show has aired) but I’m excited with what they’ve done so far. Really hope the writing measures up and doesn’t follow the trainwreck of a movie – I liked the casting for that too, but the writing was awful.

11. rian says:

This is awesome, she looks great for the part. And the new Simon and Isabelle seem really convincing, too. Can’t wait for the new Alec! So far I am really looking forward to this!

12. maddie says:

IMHO, she looks more like (book) Clary than Lily Collins does. I hated most of the movie cast, and I think they are doing much better with a TV show.

13. Liza says:

The burning question is, who will play Magnus Bane? That is a bit of casting news I really want to know about. He is one of my favorite characters in the series so I hope they cast someone really good.

14. WoTV says:

I started watching the show and her acting is awful. I feel like she is dragging me through every sentence she says. I am hoping it gets better. As of right now it is hard to watch. The other actors seem more natural unless they are trying to conversate with her and then it just feels like a really bad children’s play, or even maybe like they also think her acting is awful and they are actually reacting to that.