Exclusive

Grey's Anatomy Photos: Mer vs. Amelia, a New Face, and Catastrophe Strikes!

It’s time to hit pause on the time jumps and get all hands (including maybe a brand-new one?) on deck, as seen in these exclusive photos from Thursday’s Grey’s Anatomy (ABC, 8/7c).

In this season’s penultimate episode, “Time Stops,” Amelia unloads on Meredith, having kept pent up for nearly a year — due to her sis-in-law’s AWOL status — her true feelings about the handling of Derek’s critical, ultimately fatal car crash injuries.

The face-off might be short-lived, though, seeing as the doctors of Grey+Sloan will be forced to put their emotions aside and scramble when a catastrophic event occurs.

Also as glimpsed in the 12 news photos linked below, Giacomo Gianniotti (Reign) kicks off his multi-episode run.

1. Annie says:

Is anyone planning to watch this anymore? Ugh.

• Kvivik says:

I, for one, want to watch to see Amelia freak out on Meredith. All through the episode with the accident I couldn’t believe that Meredith was so heartless not to let Amelia and the other sisters know so that they could come and say goodbye. It was a selfish and immature decision that I want to see Meredith regret. She is not the only one who was affected that day.

• aph1976 says:

Yes Meredith should have let Amelia and the other sisters know what happened before pulling the plug on Derek.However maybe Meredith knew that Derek wouldn’t want his sisters to see him like and have them know there was nothing they could do to bring him back.As Amelia i’m wondering if her anger towards Meredith is because she might feel she could have saved Derek if given the chance but Meredith may not have Amelia to live with the guilt that she couldn’t save her brother.

• Dmac says:

I think a little of both, but regardless of what Derek would of wanted this was their chance for her say goodbye to her brother and she wasn’t given that chance. I would be pi**ed.

• Lily says:

Derek said back in season 1 that if he was in the coma, all his sisters would be there…. Unfortunately, none of them came because Meredith didn’t called them…

• Anne says:

My problem with Amelia is that she’s a me me me self-centered insuferable person. Her problem is that Mer didn’t cal HER (not my mother, sisters and me), “I” could have saved him. It’s all about her, all the time and honestly in this case it detracts from her legit right and desire to say her last goodbye to her only brother. Her mother must be devastated, her sisters mourning, her sister-in-law became a widow in two seconds with three small children to raise and she felt she had the right to use vulnerable Meredith as a punch bag to release her insatiable anger, that nevers wears off. It’s a very tiring character indeed.

• Sarah says:

nope last weeks mess was it

• Cyndi says:

Not me!

• abz says:

11 seasons of watching. That’s a LOT of time to invest in a show only to quit when it really only has another season or two left I think. So, yeah gonna continue watching.

2. Drew says:

The time jump was handled very poorly. They jumped nearly a year, but conversations carried on as like normal. Imagine the actual passing of a year… people don’t just stand still, spinning their wheels the way they did in that episode. Life happens.

3. Sa says:

Omg I love this show. can’t wait

4. Tina says:

This looks good, can’t wait for tomorrow

5. Nitemar says:

I love Callie, but what’s with the make up, she’s a freaking doctor! ..oh, yeah, she’s between dates.. ;)

6. Mr. Tran K says:

Wonder if Grey’s Anatomy should get a proper “final season” next year if Paul Lee makes the right decision or not.

7. Sarah says:

What’s the point of skipping a year if they’re going to act like a year didn’t happen and have conversations like the accident just happened?

• LC says:

Have you ever gone through the grieving process, especially for someone who was young and whose death was completely unexpected? If you have, remember how long those feelings stuck with you. I have a very close friend whose brother died by suicide 5 years ago. Her mom was very much like Amelia. She held it together, acted like nothing was wrong and went on with life. It was only after about year (maybe a little longer) that she completely fell apart. Like Amelia, she had fought addiction, but unlike Amelia, she didn’t come to her senses and “just say no”. She also started to lash out at family members, completely alienated and eventually abandoned her family, and now lives in the bottom of a bottle. That first year was full of shock. The feelings didn’t get dealt with until it was too late. I don’t think this scenario as it’s playing out on Grey’s with the time jump is at all unrealistic. I think it’s more realistic than anyone cares to admit.

8. Mara says:

So done with this show — not interested in what they have done to these characters. I keep reading, hoping this will all be a dream but I am moving on.

9. Former Fan says:

Another catastrophe? Seriously?

• Anna says:

Sometimes I wonder – how many new catastrophes can they come up with? They covered everything, right? A plane, a car, a boat, a guy with a gun going crazy, every possible natural disaster – someone even got attacked by a freakin’ lion! It’s quite an accomplishment, really. Crazy? Yes. Stupid? YES. But also impressive.

10. Larc says:

Another catastrophe??? GA’s Seattle certainly has more than its fair share of those. Also far more failed surgeries and deaths at Grey Sloan Memorial than in the average hospital.

11. What will happen next? A tornado hitting Seattle? Doubt they did that yet. I’m tired of it too actually. I missed last week’s 2 hour ‘event’ because of something much better.

12. Remizak says:

I decided to pretend that Grey’s Anatomy’s last episode of the series was #20, meaning Derek is back and he and Meredith are looking forward to a new chapter in their lives. I took the show off my DVR series recording list and I’m not watching anymore. It works for me, especially since it lets me forget about the train wreck of the subsequent episodes.

• Cyndi says:

Me too! Just rewatched the season 2 episode with the explosive in the patient yesterday. Watched Derek rush out of surgery asking, “Where is she?” only to see Addison run towards him and Adele say to Richard, “That is not the she he was asking about.” In my happy place of denial where Derek and Meredith are happy and together forever.

13. Marissa says:

Mer was shock and wasn’t thinking . The doctors was pushing her to sign so they can have the bed . Mer knew Derek had no life left why prolong the goodbye . It’s not like Derek called his sisters before Amelia moved in . Amelia never called her sisters . Mer doesn’t need Derek’s truck load of sisters . Amelia is a loose cannon .

• abz says:

So, his mother and sisters should have no say in the matter? They shouldn’t have the opportunity to say goodbye to him? I feel for Mer. I really do. She lost her love and husband, but what she did was a bit selfish. We could say she wasn’t thinking and maybe part of her wasn’t, but she is a doctor as well so she is very familiar with families saying goodbye and these situations, although naturally this time it is happening to her. Also, just because it isn’t showed on screen, doesn’t mean that it doesn’t happen off screen. How do you know Derek and Amelia never spoke to their sisters and mother? Also, Amelia has been through a lot (don’t know if you’ve seen Private Practice), but despite the issues she may have had with Derek, they were close and they loved each other. Amelia was the sister who was there with Derek when their father was killed. They went through that terrible ordeal and she lost her way but she still loved Derek. Meredith may not have need them, but they had every right to at least know before she pulled the plug.

14. Val says:

What a handsome dude – Giacomo Gianniotti

Also i might be the only one who actually is looking forward to how Meredith’s progresses in her life, life after Derek and so on. Its always been Meredith’s journey

15. acurat says:

Predict after heady ratings these last two weeks there is a fall-off of some sort for the rest of the season (not much more) and all of next season. Since the show was in a two year contract and renewal situation last year, and the ratings held up until now, no matter what happens – we get on more of Greying Anatomy.

16. Kristen says:

OK I’m so confused. I really have this feeling that Derek is not really dead. Everything is wrong. Why didn’t Meredith call Christina, or Amelia. Maybe it’s wishful thinking but no one is getting along and it just didn’t feel like this is Grey’s. If this is the new direction I hate it.

17. Alli says:

Meredith has always been the way she is. She has usually been the one that made the decision that others were not able to. I the that if the sisters had been there they would not have want to let him go. I honestly have no problem with what Meredith did. I get what some people may say she is heartless but I dont think that she is. I dont think that some of you have thought about Meredith is feeling especially having to make the choice she did. We know how Meredith was wired from season one of this show so I dont why you guys are so shocked. I say POWER to Meredith for the hard decision that she has made.