Undateable Goes Live: Ed Sheeran, the Scrubs Cast and 17 More Key Moments

NBC’s Undateable went live Tuesday night with the help of a few friends.

The Bill Lawrence-produced sitcom welcomed cast members from his previous shows Scrubs and Cougar Town — including Zach Braff, Donald Faison, Neil Flynn and Christa Miller — as well Nickelodeon starlet Victoria Justice, Scandal‘s Scott Foley, About a Boy‘s Minnie Driver, Loveline hosts Drew Pinksey and Mike Catherwood and, oh yeah, Grammy award nominated song-and-guitarman Ed Sheeran, whom Justin kicked out of his bar.

In the episode, Danny and Justin vied for the attention of an attractive back-up singer in town for a local music festival. Meanwhile, Leslie and Burski worked to keep Candace away from her numbskull of an ex as Shelly and Brett competed for most likable bartender.

Like the average Undateable episode, “A Live Show Walks Into a Bar” worked less because of its plot, and more because of the interactions between characters. Unlike, say, 30 Rock going live, the change in format wasn’t nearly as jarring as the Chris D’Elia comedy has always been shot before a live studio audience. It was nonetheless an impressive feat.

Browse through our gallery of the hour’s 20 most memorable moments, then drop a line in the comments section detailing your favorite moments. And West Coast viewers, consider yourself invited to pass along any changes made for the second presentation.

1. MK says:

Absolutely hilarious! I hope this got more people watching. Also the Scrubs mentions were hilarious — who else saw JD sippin’ on that appletini?!

2. Meg says:

I still can’t believe they actually waxed his chest.

• Riana says:

Yes, there was a risk there of a Steve Carrell moment.

• Lizzie says:

Yup and they did it again in the West Coast. People really need to start watching this show. BTW west coast included Kate Walsh, and Ed Sheeran kissing Brent Morin(Justin)!

3. Emily says:

Did the Justin actor know that Scott Foley was going to be there? He seemed genuinely surprised when Scott Foley showed up!

I only started watching this show a few weeks ago. I don’t like many sitcoms but I find myself enjoying this one. Tonight was hilarious!

4. Mike says:

The funniest show I have ever watched had to keep pausing my pvr to wipe tears from my eyes , great job guys WOW! P.S. I have watched from the beginning last season.

5. candace says:

I thought I read somewhere Kate Walsh would be on tonight. Did I miss her?

6. CJ says:

Not perfect, but oh so much fun. It could have been so gimmicky, but it stayed very true to the show and ended up being really great. Looking forward to checking out the West Coast version at some point as well.

7. lisa in Los Angeles says:

I was most excited to see the sexy Kate Walsh cameo!

8. jc says:

Omgggg ed sheeran kissed one of the guys yay :). Did that happen in the east coast?

9. lisa in Los Angeles says:

Wow…end sheeran kissed the actor full on! And yes I’m still entranced by Scott Foley’s sweet blue eyes!

10. Sherry R says:

11. Sherry R says:

Well done. I really enjoy this show. And I am a 41 year old woman, for whatever that may matter…Actors who portray Danny, Justin, Shelly, Brett – SOLID PERFORMERS, CONSISTENTLY. Really funny interactions and lines. Perhaps a stronger female lead could help…I like the beautiful actress who portrays Danny’s sister, Leslie, but struggle to identify with her character. But really love this show. Please keep it going NBC! Was that the season finale? If so, I will miss it…

12. Yo says:

They used to shoot sitcoms live all the time back in the day.

13. watched because of Ed Sheeran but surprised with all the guest actors. First time watching by the way.

14. TV Gord says:

Other than Kate Walsh, were there other changes from the east and west coast? (I’m kicking myself for falling asleep before the west show.)

• Newo says:

Storywise it was the same but if you paid attention while you watched the east coast version then there were a bunch of things that were different, including some ad-libbed lines.

15. Belle says:

More Please!!! I wish they’d have more shows go “LIVE” It was so much fun to watch…I’m gonna watch the left coast version today! Yippee :)

16. Tenney says:

Such a fun live episode. You can tell the cast was having a blast and I loved the way Danny would sometimes play to the camera. One of the funniest shows on TV and Ron Funches (Shelly), is hilarious. What a very talented cast.

17. I watch Undateable on a regular basis, but last night’s LIVE episode was one for the books of comedy. I have never laughed so much in my life. It is a great comedy and the cast is AMAZING! The waxing at the end was funny, but Scott Foley was hilarious calling Justin, Danny and then Justin again. They made this work, and I loved it!

18. Joey Padron says:

live episode was great and funny. the cast did great and guest stars did great.

19. Nick says:

I’ve seen every episode of this show, but last night’s was especially hilarious.

20. Leannimal says:

Loved it! Don’t go and get yourself cancelled now. I’m visiting Detroit soon. Is there an actual Black Eyes Bar I should go find?

• Toni says:

I don’t think so, but tons of bars you should visit downtown. The Old Shillelagh is a fanastic bar in downtown Detroit and come to Windsor, we’d love to have you.

21. ggny says:

Watched the show for the first time last night after seeing Zach and Donald where gonna be on it. And i got to say i was impressed it was a solid sitcom not too over the top and not to full of itself. Gonna have to watch it from the beginning now

22. NJMark says:

JD and Janitor were on the same episode – but they didn’t have them at least cross paths?

23. I watched it on the West Coast and I’m wondering how different it was from East to West b/c there was one scene where Scott Foley makes Danny get on his knees and Chris D’elia says I don’t think this was in the script. Then there was the scene when Ed Sheeran kisses Justin on the lips. Poor Brent Morin he had to get waxed twice and was slapped multiple times LOL

24. UndateableFan says:

I thought it was great. Loved all the cameos. Hope it stays around at least 1 more season!

25. Toni says:

This is one of funniest shows I have watched in a long time and I’m so glad more people tuned in tonight. I need it to come back. :)

26. This saved the season. They should do it live every week.

27. j Sturm says:

It would be cool if they could get Zach and Donald to guest star a few times a year since they mentioned that they work with Shelly at the retirement home.
    That could a future spin off tight there.

28. cyclone says:

There is no world that I would choose Chris D’Elia over Brent Morin…just saying. And this was the first time I watched this show and I would also choose a sweet guy like Justin over a dick like Danny any day.

29. jose says:

This is my favorite show….always makes me laugh like crazy. .!!!

30. I laughed out loud the whole show.

31. itz ri ri says:

Love it awesome so funny💜💜💜💜💜😅😅😄😄😄