Idol's Tyanna Jones Talks 'Tightrope,' 'Stay,' and Audition-Round Struggles

Tyanna Jones isn’t one of those young American Idol contestants who never watch their performances — and wind up believing everything they did on the show was perfect.

In fact, Season 14’s fifth-place finisher readily admits to flaws in her Group Rounds “I Want You Back,” her “Party in the U.S.A.” cover and even her tearful exit performance of “Run the World (Girls).”

We also dished Tyanna’s triumphs — Janelle Monae’s “Tightrope,” Rihanna’s “Stay” and the Jackson 5’s “Rockin’ Robin” — when we caught up with the bubbly 16-year-old at Fox HQ during her post-Idol press tour. Also on the docket: those notorious, producer-generated song lists, the dearth of options available during fan-generated “American Classics” week, her challenges getting past the producer rounds at the start of the audition process and the type of record she hopes to make in the future.

Press PLAY above for the full Q&A, then hit the comments with your thoughts on Tyanna’s Idol run!

1. Zach says:

I told you Zoanette was amazing! Even Tyanna says so.

2. Florence+TheMachineRules!!! says:

Tyanna is just WONDERFUL!!!!! Hopefully she gets signed and achieves success. 😃😃😃

3. karenb says:

Love her hair. Much more flattering.

4. leahbh says:

I can’t believe she went home before Jax, the adele wannabe. What is America thinking? I hope Clark wins it all, he’s the only worthy one left

5. Lloyd says:

A smart girl and so nice – I had a smile on my face all the way through the interview. :)

6. Shelia says:

Tyanna needed Whitney Houston songs she would have took this competition.

7. Puchinsmom says:

I hope I’m not out of line here, or misinterpreting what Tyanna said, BUT, did anyone else think her mom was pushing her awfully hard? Maybe Tyanna wanted that, and it was a once in a lifetime opportunity. But really….I just felt a bit weirded out with some of the stories she was telling. I don’t mean to be over critical though.

• Margarethe says:

I didn’t get that impression at all. The sense I’ve always gotten is that Tyanna has had a hard time believing in herself – but that her mother believed in her. I had a very similar thing with my mother, so what I see with Tyanna and her mother feels very familiar to me. It’s support and faith – not “pushing.” “Pushing” only happens when the child does not want to do something. Tyanna very much wants to make music and singing her life, but she doubted herself. Her mother never did.

8. vicky says:

I hope Tyanna does read these wonderful comments! We won’t put you in a box Tyanna, just continue to be yourself because it is fabulous. Loved the interview (good job Michael) and it showed her advanced maturity for a 16 year old, not to mention down to earth personality. Very warm, sincere, gracious, humble person. The sky is the limit! I also think if she puts in the effort she will achieve more than you ever imagined. I didn’t mind hearing stories about her Mom, who obviously did a good job raising her.

9. syb says:

She seems as mature and poised as her early performances. It’s a shame that the crummy song choices and Idol’s determination to suck the soul out of its teenage female contestants sabotaged her. I hope she goes far, and I get the sense from her that one way or another this is not the last we’ve heard of Tyanna.

10. Jill Moy says:

I thought Tyanna was very good! Like someone below said…..JAX A$$ is still here and this girl is gone???????

I have no complaints against Tyanna! Bad song choices as well as the pressure did her in! Still, 5th place is wonderful for a wonderful girl!

11. Margarethe says:

This was my favorite post-elimination interview and the only one I watched all the way through. I think the format this year was hardest on the youngest contestants. I absolutely adored Tyanna as a contestant and her voice is one that I would recognize within the first few bars if I heard it on the radio. She is a lovely person and a beautiful beautiful girl and I’m thrilled that everyone who ever bullied her has been shown the door and then some. I will support this girl’s career ardently – she just needs to make the right decisions and listen to the right people and work very very hard and most of all, listen to the voice inside herself because a lot of voices are going to be telling her things – she needs to make sure that her inner voice is the loudest one of all. Her elimination took my last favorite out of the competition but she shines on stage – she’s definitely got that “it”‘factor and she has every single thing it takes to become a star. I believe in her. 😊

12. meganmcneil says:

This is the second contestant to say that Sarina Joe Crow warned her about singing a song! Can we get a reality check ft Sarina?! She is not only talented but is clearly a huge Americain Idol fan and respects the history

13. ara says:

Yey, good sound all throughout! THANK YOU!
    Love Tyanna. Hope she gets the support and opportunities she needs. But finish college, okay?

14. Antoinette says:

Tyanna you were my favorite and your voice is flawless. PLEASE..continue to reach for the stars as you can already hit the notes. Very sad to see you leave however, I know we will be hearing your lovely voice again. Much Blessing..Ohio