Vampire Diaries Season Finale Photos Hint at Somber Exit for Elena

Vampire Diaries Season Finale

Why so glum, chums?

The CW on Monday released a batch of photos from The Vampire Diaries‘ season finale (May 14, 8/7c), and while it’s nice to see the gang all together, it’d be even nicer to see some smiles!

Oh wait, there’s someone missing from this gathering… and Damon appears to be delivering some less-than-stellar news. Could something terrible have befallen his beloved?

I can’t say I’m surprised. According to the show’s log line, an “uninvited guest” at Jo and Alaric’s wedding leaves Elena in “terrible jeopardy.” Couple that with the fact that Damon is “forced to make the most difficult decision of his life,” and you’ve pretty much got a recipe for Delena disappointment.

TVD fans, how do you think Elena will choose to depart Mystic Falls? Browse the season finale photos below, then drop a comment with your best theory.

1. omar says:

Damon: “Elena’s death!” :D Please!

2. Belle says:

They could recast Elena like they did in The Originals…Rebekah’s is trapped in another girl’s body. Not sure how they can go on next season without Elena and Jeremy both gone. Ideas on where to go from the apparent “death” of Elena?

• jc says:

No no no. This is a terrible idea. The ratings for the originals are down with all the recasting and I don’t think people want elena be played anyone other than nina.

• AnnieM says:

Hmm…Jeremy didn’t do much this season, and Bonnie seems to have forgotten about him already (turnabout IS fair play), so there’s that. Since we know next season is going to be the last, it shouldn’t be hard for them to eke out a storyline. Do we even know if it will be a full 22 episodes? i wouldn’t be surprised if they got cut down to 13 just to wrap things up. Anyway, perhaps it will be all about those vamitches of Lily’s.

3. Michelle says:

Damon will finally save Jo over Elena which will cause her death.

4. Chantall says:

Since elena became a vampire she became annoying i prefered her as a human..but i take my hat off to the actress nina dobrev who played so many diffrent characters and each of them had diffrent personalities that mustve taken alot of hard work to pull off..and yes she will die as a human. I do think we can cope without nina as season 6 really made me realise how magnificien the other characters are..so yes the cast is THAT GOOD! For them to continue without nina

5. Craig says:

In a body bag please

6. AnnieM says:

i don’t know about her being *dead*…they look somber, but not super-sad or anything like that, so I’m guessing she just….leaves. ::shrug::

7. aph1976 says:

I don’t think Elena will die but i’m wondering if something forces her and Damon to fake her death to keep her safe from something or someone.Or maybe Elena goes missing somehow and Damon is forced to tell everyone.Then next season could be about trying to find Elena and/or getting revenge for whatever happened to her.

8. Jared says:

I hope TVDs doesnt recast Elena although im not sure what a show without her character looks like. All the recasting on The Originals is what ultimately made me stop watching this season.

9. Chantall says:

They wont recast her character that would be weird..im hoping bonnie would become our lead female character

10. Morgan says:

I hope she dies. And I hope she dies quick without the ability to speak and drag it out.

11. april says:

I think she will become human again and exit that why. Cuz if 6 or 7 will be the last season for her then why tease people. An her not be back than u find someone else. An it won’t be the same

12. april says:

How is she planing a future with Damon if she is leaving. Caroline belongs with niklause

• Jaime says:

Yes, Caroline and Klaus! Stefan and her are soooo boring, it’s like a snooze fest. I kinda wish they would just have Stefan, Damon, Bonnie & Caroline go to TO or have a s/l with some of TO….I would watch s7 for that.

• Sara says:

You need to let the Caroline/Klaus thing go!! It’s not going to happen.

• UGH!! says:

I don’t care who she’s with just not Stefan. They have NO chemistry and are boring. PLEASE not another forced relationship down our throats!!

• Brenna says:

Klaus and Caroline, oh how I’ve missed them!!

• Layla says:

Nicklouse + caroline best thing ever!!!!!!!!!!!

13. april says:

And yes Nina has done a great job playing all those people. That is called great acting. Awesome work nina

14. Stern des Südens says:

Elena was never my favorite, but Nina will be missed. It will be strange without her next season. I hope Elena takes the cure and gets to go live the normal human life she always wanted. It’s too bad we won’t get to see Katherine again though.

15. I hope she goes missing and next season will be about finding her again like in season 3 when stefan left

• Chantall says:

I thought they were gonna bring her back as a modern day tatia to the originals or something..but goodluck to nina and her future projects..atleast we will see more bamon scenes their chemistry is crazy!

16. tvd_theoriginals_india says:

I feel like Damon will compel Elena to forget everything and start fresh.Like they did with Jeremy few years back.

• Andy Swift says:

That’s my prediction, too. And maybe Damon is telling everybody they can’t contact her anymore.

• Chantall says:

I doubt he will compel her..if he does that, that means her character could return again and i dont think nina dobrev has plans to come back now or in the future

• Heather says:

That would also be the worst exit for a character on this show. I hope she dies. She’ll probably sacrifice herself for someone or something like that.

17. Chantall says:

18. There’s two ways it could go- Damon’s hard decision is whether or not to go with Elena when she leaves Mystic Falls, alive and human, to stay with his brother. OR- Elena is attacked by Lily or one of her minions, is dying, and Damon must decide to honor her wish to not become a vampire again, allowing her to die. I am hoping for the second. But it would be an easy way to end the series if it’s the first, Damon will decide to go to her at the end to live out the rest of her life.

19. doris says:

It would be great if she found Damon’s doppleganger and road off into the sunset with him; never to return to mystic falls again :(

20. Carl Durand says:

she is vanquished/ maybe inprisoned or something, theres no way they can kill a lead character in a show that hopes to continue its seasons. With that said if she is dead or die’s, they will most likely have a 1 off option to bring her back with a 50/50 it will or wont work.

21. Amanda says:

I still hope Stelena’s love will exist. My heart was broken when I first saw Elena kissed Damon because it was all about betrays…

22. Lisa says:

What I think is going to happen is, they all come to the conclusion that Elena, being human, is not safe in Mystic Falls. In order for her to live out the life she wants deep-down, Damon realizes the only way to get her to leave “voluntarily” is to compel her to leave. That is the “most difficult choice of his life” OR she is suffering, very close to death and Damon makes the choice to end her quickly rather than see her suffer or be a vampire again. My bet is on the former, though.

23. Jo says:

Elena cannot become a vampire again because of the cure. That’s why It was such a hard decision for Damon to become human. There is no going back.

24. This show won’t last I love this show and her and Damon is my favorite characters and I will never watch it again or the actors.On a totally unrelated note I used to watch this show everyday when I came home over and over again and now I won’t.

25. roy says:

Been huge fan from beginning and with the main character from beginning leaving idk i goin bother following. Said her choice and understand. But basically whats point of the show with her. Can only care about side drama so long before relize wow this got sucky real fast. So hope best for actor and actresses who left. If try recast better to cancel wont be same and why bother if goin turn into a daytime soap. Such and such is playing so and so really hoping for best. But like most great shows eventually enoughs enough if actors and characters we love bail maybe need to follow fast. Its not goin be same and be all downhill. What was that show with Mischa Barton was in. Loved it killed her off ya lucky maid to a last episode. Some characters and actors are the show. R.I.P vampire diaries

26. Layla says: