Report: Sleepy Hollow's Orlando Jones Won't Return for Season 3

Sleepy Hollow Orlando Jones Leavin

Sleepy Hollow‘s Captain Irving won’t report for duty when the Fox supernatural drama returns this fall.

Orlando Jones, who has played the lawman since the show’s debut, won’t be back for Season 3, our sister site Variety reports.

UPDATE: Broadcasting & Cable editor reports that Jones confirmed his exit at a May 4 event for a gaming website.

His exit comes as the ratings-challenged show undergoes a regime change: The Glades‘ Clifton Campbell recently replaced Mark Goffman as showrunner.

RELATED 2015 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Getting Cancelled? What’s on the Bubble?

Irving, who in Season 1 proved himself an ally to Ichabod and Abbie in their fight to stave off the apocalypse, spent much of last season on the fringe of the action. He died during a fight, only to be resurrected and controlled by the evil Henry, though that control seemed to go poof after Henry’s own death.

Jones, a prolific user of social media, has not yet commented publicly about his exit.

Sleepy Hollow rep says the show has no comment at this time.

1. S. says:

Why? I was looking forward to more of him in Sleepy Hollow next season. This makes no sense to me, at all.

2. Lee says:

This is the opposite of what we all wanted. WHY.

3. Klat says:

Budget cuts.

4. Angela says:

Whoa. That’s surprising.
    And sad. I liked him :(. Wonder what the reason is?

5. Brian says:

Dumb move. He’s a fan favorite. This news will now bring negative buzz.

6. Missy Kelly says:

Really????? Orlando Jones only adds to the quality of the show. Is this a budget cut and they can’t afford him or is a “regime” change and new guy doesn’t like old guy and I’m in charge now behavior. Ich & Abby can use all the friends they can get since the new captain isn’t having any of it.

Clifton Campbell, I loved the Glades and was looking forward to you with this show but your first move is not necessarily a welcome one.

• Me says:

How do you know Campbell had anything to do with this? Maybe Orlando wanted out, and the show accommodated him.

7. Mike says:

God this show went down the tubes really freaking fast.

• Tenney says:

It really is suprising at how quickly this show went from exciting, fun to watch, and can’t wait to see what happens next to barely tolerable. I’ve never seen a show take such a 180 before in such a short amount of time. I hung on through season 2 in hopes that it would return to how awesome it was in season 1, but this news makes me wonder if it would be worth trying season 3. Captain Irving was definitely a favorite of mine.

• SAM says:

“Heroes” had the same problem. Fabulous first season that really dropped in quality the second season.

8. Ashley says:

Well his exit is now making me nervous about season 3.

9. Rachel says:

That’s a huge bummer. I was looking forward to what season 3 would bring for his character.

10. Ashley says:

Why? I understand budget cuts, but with aren’t they saving money now that Katrina, Henry, and Hawley are gone? I was so looking forward to the focus returning to the core four of Ichabod, Abbie, Irving, and Jenny! Not a good sign for the season to come…

11. Carla Krae says:

Also asking why. Hoping this is an error. We all love Irving.

12. Nick says:

Ugh…I was already on the fence about watching Season 3….now I’ve got both legs on the other side of it..

13. Morgan says:

Ouch. The first season of this show was brilliant; it’s been mostly downhill from there.

14. Steven says:

His character never did much for me. I’m ok with this.

15. Susannah says:

Irving was my favorite character and as an actor Orlando was a one man public relations firm for Sleepy Hollow. They’d be pretty stupid to fire someone who was such an asset to the show for budgetary reason. They don’t have to pay for Katrina, Henry and Hawley, so what happened? Maybe they’re bringing Andy back?

16. B says:

Wow. Wish they’d say whether it was his choice or theirs. If theirs, BIG mistake. The reset at the end of S2 gave me hope, but this cuts into it pretty significantly.

• Yeah, there has been no response from him. Hmmmm……

• cookie says:

I was so disappointed in the new hard ass captain she had zero personality and she didn’t believe in anything being supernatural. I was so hoping the Orlando would finally get his job back and the three would be a force to be reckon with, like in season 1. So upset, why???

17. wrstlgirl says:

I gotta join the choir on this one. Huge Bummer.

18. Jen says:

This is incredibly disappointing news, especially considering the disservice the show did to his character last season. I was so excited to see him return from the dead and join back up with Abbie, Jennie, and Ichabod at the end of the season. It gave me some hope for next season. Orlando is also a huge cheerleader for the show and is so great about engaging fans on Twitter. Big loss for the show and the fans.

19. zagsfan says:

This is not good news at ALL. He was one of my favorites, next to Ichabod, Abbie and Jenny. The second season was largely a disaster, but with Katrina gone, hopefully they’ll get back to what made the show great. The main problem is that the network people usually have the wrong idea about what the fans love about a particular show. They should have focus groups of fans, then they’d be less likely to go off on a tangent.

• Angela says:

Ehhhhhh, sometimes fans aren’t always an accurate place to go for opinions, either, though. Just because one group of fans likes or doesn’t like something about a show doesn’t mean every fan will think that way-look at this comment section. Most of us are sad to hear this news about Orlando, but there’s a couple comments from people who aren’t bothered by it. And I know there were a few other fans who didn’t count Irving as a top character of theirs over the last couple seasons, too.
      I think shows should just focus on telling the stories they want to tell, and stop having so many people whispering in their ears. They can’t, and won’t, be able to please everybody, and I think way too many shows run into the problem of trying to do that nowadays, much to their detriment.

• Nah says:

CO-SIGN.
        Well said. Very well said. Writers of TV shows everywhere: GET OFF SOCIAL MEDIA. Tell YOUR stories.

20. Sabrina says:

This does not bode well for season 3 of the show. I can understand that it may be budget cuts but I think it would have been a good idea to at least keep him as a recurring character on the show.

21. Susan says:

It’s tough to lose characters we like, but I think it makes sense to wait and see what happens. I’m guessing that his storyline was just going to have too many loose ends with no reasonable or easy resolution. Then again, with the move to Atlanta from Wilmington, it might have been a budget issue. Personally, I would like to give Season 3 a fighting chance before I pull the plug. Recent interviews with Tom Mison have seemed very hopeful and reasonably happy with the new showrunner. We’ll see, won’t we?

• Angela says:

This is my attitude, too. I hate losing Irving, but I’ve also watched and loved other shows that had cast changes throughout their runs, and they still managed to work just fine for me. So I’ll give this a chance and see what happens.
      I do hope that Jenny sticks around, though-that would be the supporting cast member I’d be especially upset to see go. Abbie needs her sister.

• suzi says:

I agree with you both–I liked Irving (and Orlando Jones), but I’m not giving up on this show.

• Susan says:

The article in Variety indicated that Jenny would be returning for Season 3.

• Angela says:

Good to hear that :). That makes me feel better.

• herman1959 says:

I’m late to the party, but I agree with you all. I also think that Irving’s character had too many loose ends – he turned bad, but was temporarily good, then turned bad again, but seemed better when Henry died! The writers wrote themselves into a hole and couldn’t get out of it. The question is if it was intentional on their part or a misstep. Anyway, I’ll looking forward to Season 3…see y’all!

22. Jake says:

There were several episodes w/o him in S2, all so we could get the Crane Family Drama that nobody cared about and killed ratings. I’m thinking he got sick of the B.S. Will really miss him, but I do wish him well. Just don’t bring back Katrina or Henry, whatever you do.

23. Marquis Towns says:

Orlando wanted out. His storyline was awful n he wasn’t even in most of the episodes. He was a guest star. He will show up in an upcoming pilot.

• Nah says:

You know him, do you? No? Well, then, I’ll wait to see what HE says, rather than believe your conjecture.

24. Drew says:

I’m okay with this. He wasn’t with the police anymore and the character became pretty silly after a while. He probably should have been written off sooner. The two main characters are the only sure thing. They are the center of the show and everyone else that helps them are question marks. I like Jenny, but even she is not one of the witnesses.
    The show needs to refocus and get back on track. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

25. Jared says:

The showrunners really killed Sleepy Hollow in S2. Orlando Jones was so under used and now he wont be back for S3? I dont see viewers tuning back in unfortunately.

26. Tammy says:

Did I miss that it got renewed for a Season 3?

27. AW says:

The writers really destroyed Captain Irving in Season 2. Therefore, it’s good for Orlando Jones to be moving on to bigger and better roles. Perhaps he can still come back as a guest star, just to give his character a good, fitting end.

• LOL says:

I wouldn’t exactly call a web series on a gaming web site “bigger and better things,” but whatever.

• Ugh says:

(-_-;) Do you even know the first thing about video games and just how massively HUGE they are? There are gaming streamers pulling down serious money, some millions of dollars a year with millions of viewers, and they weren’t even celebrities before starting.

28. GhostWolf says:

Sad but not surprising. They didn’t seem to know what to do with his character in the 2nd (overly long) season.

29. Melanie Desi says:

Oh no! I was looking forward to the further adventures of Ichabod, Abbie, Frank & Jenny! That’s a great core cast right there.

30. Lizo says:

Whyyy?!!? He’s one of the best parts – Irving, but also Orlando himself. His passion for the show makes me love it more and kept me coming back through this past seasons lull.

31. Das Snow says:

Budget cuts. That’s all I have to say.

32. Stern des Südens says:

I liked him, but it did feel like they were never sure what they wanted to do with his character. The resurrection story was kind of a bust. If they wanted to resurrect him, they should have made him one of the horsemen. It seems weird that they never introduced the other two.

33. Oh No! The revenge-season 2-esque has taken it next victim

34. JenE says:

Yet one more thing to blame Mark Goffman for. If he had not unnecessarily sidelined him for the worst actress ever then he would still be on the show. However he so badly messed with the character that this is the end result. Ugh! Really hope Katia is off the show too or I will be even madder than I am now.

• LOL says:

You have no idea what you are talking about. You don’t know if he left because he wanted to, or he was let go. You, like the rest of us, know NOTHING. Next you’ll be blaming Mark Goffman for global warming. Grow up.

• Quinn says:

Katia Winter pissed off a majority of the fanbase AND was foolish enough to badmouth the very writers whose had storylines she had previously praised before ish hit the fan in S2 penultimate interviews. I think she’s done. If they try “resurrecting” her, stick a fork in Sleepy Hollow. Her abysmal acting coupled with the writers’ elementary, prejudiced, misogynistic filth nearly got the show canceled. Unbelievably, 2 of them are STILL there but they have hired 2 POC who were desperately needed. Again, if Katia ever reprises her role, all goodwill is lost. Season 2 was foolishness about the Cranes that nobody cared for! Witnesses & Allies plus freaky, OMG moments is what I expected on Mondays. If I wanted a soap I could watch one mid-day!

35. Jess says:

This sucks!

36. DarkDefender says:

Sad to see him go, although with the under utilization of him in season 2, it is no surprise. If the people behind Orphan Black are smart they will create a character for him and sign him up before he signs to something else. (Orlando is a huge fan and cloneclub member and he’d be awesome on that show)
    I hope this was just a financial decision for a restructuring of the show. They need to re-harness the season 1 magic or it will die before season 3 ends.

37. ? says:

That’s cool. I and most of the show’s former viewers won’t be back either.

38. Chloe says:

Absolutely ridiculous.

39. The Watcher says:

It seems that “Sleepy Hollow” has run afoul of the same scenario that befell Heroes (and is some respects) Glee.

A critical and ratings success right out-of-the-gate in the first season only to be given more money as well as more network involvement/scrutiny along with increased pressure/expectations to meet a demand which didn’t exist prior to how well the show was initially received.

Success can change the formula for success in any number of ways.

It’s almost tragic to think that a show can fail like this, but it happens.

40. jbj says:

Honestly, Abby us stuck in the past right now. It is very likely that she will stay there for a good part of the short season. So, you should expect to hear the same about Jennie, soon.

41. Biggles23 says:

SH could be made a lot better through some rather simple mechanisms I reckon.

Introduce Thomas Jefferson as a 300 year old warlock who wrote the Constitution. Have him turn up in Sleepy Hollow looking to resurrect a coven now that Katrina Crane is completely dead.
    Ichabod recognises him, starts to suspect something is amiss, and realises the truth. Cranes first instinct is to kill Jefferson, but reason prevails as Crane knows a warlock can be an ally.

Why Sleepy Hollow though? Make it as the birthplace of original sin. With the ending of Moloch and essentially the lack of purgatory, Good cannot prevail without Evil.

Jefferson knows this, and tries to stop Pure Evil from breaking through the Hell Gate that opens up in Sleepy Hollow. The only way to do so is by creating a coven of 12 Witches (the 13th has to be a Warlock) in Sleepy Hollow. With the Warlock at the head and 12 new Witches, our plucky heroes Ichabod, Abbie and Jenny along with occassional guest star Nick Hawley, save the world once more.

Given the short season runs, 13 episodes would be far better to do an overarching storyline instead of the MOTW type episodes.

42. liame says:

I hope it’s not true. Does this Broadcasting Editor have a name? SH reps won’t comment, maybe it just one of those PB stunts.

43. dman6015 says:

I was really starting to get into Fring…I mean Sleepy Hollow.

44. mike says:

Not surprising. He barely had any role at all last season. They need to drop the Hawley dude or w/e his name is. Most worthless character ive seen in awhile. It definitely lost its Season 1 edge.

Hopefully it doesn’t pull a Heroes and get steadily worse each year

45. Erin B says:

So now that they “fixed” him in the finale & everyone was reunited, how are they going to get rid of him? Stupid move. I was excited for a third season, but now I’m concerned of what it will be like.

46. BostonGreekGirl says:

I really hope season 3 is way better than season 2. I did not like how they wrapped up Henry and Katrina’s story line. I personally did not like how they made Katrina evil and then just killed her and Henry. I’m glad there is a new show runner, lets hope this person does it better.
    This season reminds me of season 7 of Supernatural. Horrible and killed off too many loved characters.

47. McFudge says:

I’ll miss Orlando Jones and his tweets, but would rather have hot journalist guy who’s name I forget who was introduced in the Thomas Jefferson episode be a series regular, or maybe semi-regular.

• Ava says:

Sharif Atkins as Calvin Riggs? I agree. Love that guy, he’d make a rather nice addition to the cast! I will definitely miss Orlando, he was the most recognizable name on the show but I started watching as a huge Nicole fan and grew to love the cast. I’m still looking forward to Season 3. Hope we can attract new eyes and that FOX will dish out the promo this show deserves.

48. mikeam1978 says:

Damn, this show started off so great in the first season. Then they had some stumbles in season two, the biggest of which was turning Katrina into a villain and killing her off, and now one of the main stars is being cut. In addition to a new showrunner. I have a feeling the third season will be the show’s last. :(