Performer of the Week: Gina Rodriguez

Gina Rodriguez Jane The Virgin

THE PERFORMER | Gina Rodriguez

THE SHOW | Jane the Virgin

THE EPISODE | “Chapter Twenty” (April 27)

THE PERFORMANCE | We can’t remember a television character we’ve rooted for harder than Jane the Virgin‘s titular mother-to-be, and the latest twist on her path to parenthood — she now intends to fight baby daddy Rafael for sole custody — only pushed us further into her corner.

The haunting blend of fear and exhaustion in Rodriguez’s voice as Jane poured her heart out to Alba in Monday’s episode served as the perfect example of how the Golden Globe winner commands her audience. Her natural charisma has built Jane into an accessible source of joy, but this scene — in which Jane voiced her concerns about facing the future as an unexpected single mother for the first time — reminded us how easily she can turn on a dime and break our hearts.

Rodriguez’s unexpected, unbridled displays of passion — which have occurred several times throughout Jane‘s freshman season — are like mini anchors that ground the otherwise-surreal comedy.

Still, even in her darkest hour, Jane maintained the underlying strength Rodriguez has brought to the character since Day 1; she may be down, but she’s never out.

Game Of ThronesHONORABLE MENTION | Last Sunday’s episode of Game of Thrones could’ve been titled “The Maiden Fair Laid Bare,” thanks to Gwendoline Christie‘s heartbreaking performance. The actress’ quiet monologue about how mean boys ruined Brienne’s coming-out ball — “I realized I was the ugliest girl alive, a great, lumbering beast,” she spat — spoke to the way the character views the world, and the way she softened when remembering Renly’s kindness gave us a view of the lady knight we hadn’t seen before. “He saved me from being a joke,” Christie said simply, staring into the campfire, guard dropped, the lady knight’s reverence for her slain lord slowly giving way to determination as she vowed, “One day, I will avenge King Renly” (and we vowed to be there for every single minute of it).

Dallas Roberts SVUHONORABLE MENTION | As the villain-of-the-week on Wednesday’s Chicago P.D./Law & Order: SVU crossover, Dallas Roberts made our skin crawl — and we mean that as a compliment. Throughout the two-hour event, the actor kept an unnerving level of creepiness and ghoulish delight simmering underneath the surface of his serial rapist/arsonist/murderer Yates. (In case you couldn’t tell, he was a really bad guy.) You could practically feel Yates’ hunger for the awful things he planned to do in his face-offs with Lindsay… until it finally did him in during his own trial. Horrific as it was to watch, Roberts was nothing short of mesmerizing.

Which performances knocked your socks off this week? Hit the comments!

1. Diogo says:

Gina Rodriguez needs to be nominated for an Emmy!!

• KC says:

Ah….no….

• LT says:

Ah….YES!

• Isobel says:

She got a golden globe nomination it’s totally believable that she could get nominated for an Emmy. As long as Tatiana Manslany gets nominated as well I’d be totally fine with it

• Lauren says:

She didn’t just get nominated, she won the Golden Globe…and Tatiana Maslany would be nominated in a different category, since Jane the Virgin has been allowed as a comedy. Although totally agree that Tatiana deserves a nomination.

2. Jan says:

Completely agree with Dallas Roberts! fantastic performance of a creepy murderer and the court rooms were ‘edge of the seat’ viewing. Well done to Chicago pd and law and order svu for quality two hours!

3. Jay says:

Gina Rodriguez is fantastic, absolutely love her.

4. Matilda says:

Archie Panjabi anyone ? She was amazing, and I’m really gonna miss Kalinda.

5. Aisha says:

Agree 100% with Gina.
    Also I loved Caterina Scorcese as Amelia in Greys.
    I’m hoping from the amazing two seconds we saw of Candice Patton’s face when she realised Barry was the Flash they give her a script where she can bring it.

• Kat says:

Or the moment when she was in the hospital pouring her heart out to Barry. I cried during that scene.

6. Mr. Tran K says:

No love for Grace Park on Hawaii Five-0 last night? It was an emotional episode that almost brought me to tears.

• Kristen says:

Yes!! I just finished this week’s episode and was going to mention Grace. She’s was outstanding!

7. LOL says:

YESSSSSSSSS! Gina Rodroguez is amazing every week but man did she knock it out of the park this week. When she kept crying “I’m gonna be a single mother!” I lost it.

8. Carina says:

No Caterina Scorsone? Seriously? She STOLE that episode. #robbed

9. rachelle says:

Yeeeeeees! I was crying when Jane snapped. Gina is just amazing.

10. BetsyBoo says:

The Academy can etch Dallas Roberts’ Guest Emmy right now.

11. Erin B says:

Dallas Roberts deserves to be in more stuff.

12. Lisa says:

Christie is so terribly underrated on Thrones. Its unfortunate but I feel like many of the cast members are overlooked for their superb acting bc theyre surrounded by so many others turning in great performances every week

13. Nitemar says:

I got to start watching this show, everyone has something positive to say about it and of course Gina Rodriguez. Good for her!

14. niloofar says:

Dallas Roberts was amazing, the way he casualy talked to the guy who heard Nadia in the trunk about the inconvenience of an abducted girl who kicks the back of his seat in the gas station and his reaction to her dead body’s photos in court is unforgettable. so much than the last crossover’s villan.

15. kay says:

I think Dallas Roberts did a terrific job in the crossover episode of SVU and Chicago P.D. He played the character so well that even I was creeped out and tempted to change the channel.
    The only other actor that has played a character so well that even I get chills was James Van Der Beek when he guest starred in Criminal Minds.

16. Helvetica says:

I need to see Tom Cavanagh on this list one day, for the work he does on The Flash. This week, he was extraordinary, juggling Harrison Wells, Eobard Thawne and Everyman/Hannibal Bates as Harrison Wells.

17. DJ says:

Honorable Mention: The scorpion from Orphan Black.

” Where are these mangos?”

18. luli says:

Caterina Scorsone as Amelia! Also Tatiana Maslany anyone??

• Yolanda says:

Tatiana Maslany would be performer of the week every single week because she’s that good so TVLine is waiting for out of this world performance from her. You know, the performace that makes any other outstanding performances look like Mariah Carey in Glitter.

19. We need to have Matthew Gray Gubler in here at least once. If he was, I missed it. He has good moments. He just deserves some credit

20. Jared says:

On this weeks Jane the Virgin, Gina made me forget I was watching a fictional show because she was so realistic with her emotions. When she was crying saying that now she was gonna be a single mother my heart broke for her..until I realized it was only a show. Damn shes good!

21. Shaun says:

Caterina Scorsone or die!!

22. Paige says:

Definitely thought Caterina Scorsone deserved at least an honorable mention. She stole the show in this week’s Grey’s…

23. Thea says:

I feel like you guys have something against Amelia Shepherd lol… Caterina Scorsone should’ve been on this list. She had the only scene on Grey’s Anatomy this week worth watching and hit it out of the park!

• MJ says:

Judging by the 20 questions article from last week where TV line staff said the show killed the wrong Shepherd, they very obviously do have a lot against Amelia. Too bad it seems to cloud their opinion of Caterina Scorsone’s talent.

24. Lauren says:

YES! Gina Rodriguez is my favourite thing about the new tv season. I started crying in that scene. She deserves the Best Actress in a Comedy Emmy.

25. kin says:

I agree, Gina was amazing, but Caterina Scorsone blew my mind this week.

26. bj says:

Dallas Roberts was amazing. He really surprised me in this one. I needed a night light after watching that performance. lol

27. Nichole says:

Dallas Roberts was a revelation as the bad guy in this weeks SUV/CPD crossover. Having only seen him in Rubicon and the Good Wife on TV and his roles in The Grey and Dallas Buyers Club, I was blown away that it was the same guy. Not since Alex O’Loughlin played the bad guy in a Criminal Minds episode have I been so surprised by an actors portrayal of a character so departed from their previous work (that I had seen that is). Dallas Roberts so embodied the creepy bad guy that he most deservedly warrants a nod for guest star in a drama at whicheve American awards shows cover TV programs.

28. MJ says:

Love or hate her character, but it’s hard to deny the talent Caterina Scorsone brought to last week’s Grey’s. No one does a breakdown quite like her. Totally deserved to be recognized for it.