X-Files Update: A 'Sad' Vince Gilligan Confirms He Won't Return for Revival

The X-Files Writer Vince Gilligan

X-Files fans everywhere will be calling Saul an expletive after they hear this.

Confirming TVLine’s scoop from earlier in the week, Vince Gilligan announced in a recent Reddit Q&A that he will not be involved in Fox’s upcoming 6-episode revival. And the Emmy winner — who spent seven-plus seasons as a writer-producer on The X-Files — put the blame squarely on a certain Breaking Bad spinoff.

“Unfortunately, I won’t be writing for the reboot, because [of] my work on Better Call Saul,” he wrote of the AMC offshoot, which starts shooting Season 2 this summer. “I’m very sad to miss out, because I would love to have a hand in The X-Files reboot. The X-Files was my second favorite job ever, a close second to Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul, and I’d love to be a part of it.

“Rest assured,” he added. “I will be watching it as a fan. I can’t wait to see it.”

Fox’s X-continuation won’t be hurting for behind-the-scenes talent though. Series creator Chris Carter is back as showrunner and, as we reported on Tuesday, celebrated X-Files writer-producers Glen Morgan and James Wong will write and direct one episode apiece

1. Steven says:

I wish Vince could’ve written at least on episode. His are some of my favorites.

2. I’m calling BS on this story. If he wanted to be involved “in any way” like he said he did when this story broke, they would have found a way for him to write or direct or be involved somehow.

This came down to money and he wasn’t going to work for a small salary now that’ he’s much more established thanks to Breaking Bad.

• ericcartman23 says:

Wrong. In fact Glen Morgan himself talked about a meeting between him, Chris Carter and Vince Gilligan where they talked about the reboot. He said that Vince wanted to be part of the team once again and BADLY. Chris wanted to wait for everybody but FOX insisted that they’d shoot the series during the summer because they need it to be available to air at the beginning of 2016(since they really don’t have anything strong coming up). So blame FOX for it, Vince wanted to be part of the team more than anything else but couldn’t because he’s handling Better Call Saul AND Battle Creek. Do you have any idea what it means to be the “boss” of one series let alone creator of two?

• 1) Battle Creek’s been done for awhile now. How much involvement he actually had in it is up for debate too.

2) If he wanted to write for The X Files he wouldn’t need to be at every single shoot day. He could’ve done it in the months before either Saul or X Files starts. The great thing about writing is that it can be done at any time. We also have this new technology called email and the internet that can assist with that.

He may not have had time to work on the show for months and be a key backstage player due to Better Call Saul, I’ll accept that, but if he wanted to write one of the episodes of the reboot there would have been a way to work it out.

This was just public posturing because he either wanted a bigger role and big money, or big money and a small role and couldn’t get it.

3. Corey Bartha says:

BS! That’s a lame ‘reason’. There is more behind it somewhere . . . want’s more money . . . something!

4. Tex Mike says:

YES, a conspiracy! I suspect the cigarette smoking man is behind this. All I know is that somewhere, the truth is out there.
    P.S. TRUST NO ONE!

5. lululime says:

I didn’t realize Alex Gansa and Howard Gordon were also writers … what a talented group.

6. Michael Martin says:

This is cool and all to try and bring back ‘The X-Files’ but I’d much rather see that Chris Carter revive ‘Millennium’! Now that show was superb! #BringBackFrankBlack!

• Well said! That’s one of my biggest prayers that’s now come closer to fruition. If this “The X-Files” revival does well, maybe Fox’ll greenlight another “Millennium” in the style of the superb Season One!

7. paulberney says:

I haven’t seen Breaking Bad, but I find it impossible to believe that The X-Files is a close second to it, for anyone. Surely Breaking Bad can’t be THAT good? The X-Files is iconic.

• “Breaking Bad” is very different and it shows how differently and subtle Mr. Gilligan can be. The roller coaster rides of the last few episodes of Seasons 3 and 4 are particularly spectacular and there’s a visceral emotional tension “Breaking Bad” has that isn’t on “The X-Files.” Check it out. It has a different feel and, in some ways, though not all, is better.

8. Vince Gilligan did some fine work on “The X-Files”, especially in Seasons 2 through 5, with Season 4’s “Paper Hearts” being the best of that season. However, he’s extremely high profile and has proved he has far exceeded his work on “The X-Files” with “Breaking Bad” and, to a lesser extent, “Better Call Saul.” I was shocked at the quality of work he did on “Breaking Bad”, given how lackluster his work in the later seasons of “The X-Files” was; ditto fellow writers John Shiban and Thomas Schnauz who did incredible work on “Breaking Bad” (and the former penned “Hell on Wheels”‘ best season finale in Season 2 and the latter wrote a great “Better Call Saul” penultimate first season episode).

I’m glad other “The X-Files” writers that have faded from the limelight will get a chance to show their stuff on this revival. Mr. Gilligan has made his mark on pop culture. Perhaps if this revival does well, he’ll get another chance next year. I’m most looking forward to what Chris Carter does, anyway.

9. It isn’t even a reboot, so he got that wrong lol

10. Charlie says:

Breaking Bad the movie, why not?