Ratings: Empire Hits 13 Million Viewers, Mentalist Finale Dips, P.D. Rises

Empire Ratings

Fox’s Empire this Wednesday drew 13.02 million total viewers and a 5.1 demo rating (while misspelling Naomi Campbell’s name), rising (again) 10 percent and four tenths (per finals).

Yeah, yeah, you don’t need to say it. Here:

Empire Ratings

Opening Fox’s night, American Idol (10.7 mil/2.8) was steady week-to-week. (Also, Fox notes, Idol is up 8 percent in audience while down just a tenth in the demo year-over-year.)

Elsewhere….

CBS | The Mentalist‘s two-hour series finale did 10.1 mil and a 1.3, up 10 percent to a best-since-season premiere audience while ticking down in the demo. Stalker (6.7 mil/1.2) slipped two tenths.

NBC | Mysteries of Laura (5.9 mil/1.1) inched up a tenth, SVU (6.5 mil/1.6) gained two tenths and Chicago PD (7.1 mil/1.7) grew three tenths.

ABC | The Middle (7.7 mil/2.2) and black-ish (6.4 mil/2.2) each ticked up a tenth, Nashville (4.7 mil/1.3) dipped, Modern Family (8.8 mil/3.1) slipped 10 percent (to a season low audience) and two tenths, and Goldbergs (6.8 mil/2.2) was flat.

THE CW | Arrow (2.9 mil/1.2) ticked up a tenth, while The 100 (1.4 mil/0.5) was flat.

1. Matt C. says:

I can’t get over how successful this show is. The ratings are almost as entertaining as the show itself. ALL HAIL COOKIE!

2. cyrano says:

Wow! The power of Taraji! This is amazing. I just hope this success does not go to the EP’s head and they start going to soap opera-ey.
    Lola- Jamal’s daughter should just be his and not a last minute switcheroo…
    Modern Family was also very good.

• LT says:

Ummmm, what show have YOU been watching? It’s been soap opera-ey from day 1. That’s what they wanted and there ain’t nothing wrong with that! I will agree with you on the power of Taraji, without her this show has no life. I hope her team is starting the renegotiation process now…start backing up the armor trucks to Taraji’s front door, she deserves it!!!

• Sally McLinn says:

The reason this show works is because it’s not like the other shows on TV. The only other show that comes close is Nashville, and that’s a very “white” show. All the other shows are murder this, murder that, stalkers, crime, dark dark and I think the public is getting tired of those type of shows (CSI, Stalker, Law&Order) and want something they can eat popcorn with.

• Antwon says:

It’s a hip-hop soap opera. Lee Daniels says so in nearly every interview. This is his version of “Black Dynasty.” They found a formula that works: interesting characters, good dialogue, soapy moments and music!

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

They’e been on record lots as embracing its soapiness: https://tvline.com/2015/01/21/empire-fox-preview-cookie-fbi-gay-jamal/

• cyrano says:

Yes, I know that. I’ve read the interviews too. What I meant and should have been more clear is that it shouldn’t go extremely soapy like Bold etc… It should have that eccentric drama but also have a more real life drama too.

3. Tran says:

Really going to miss The Mentalist. As for Stalker the network didn’t promote it as a “new hit drama” and with the series getting replaced by CSI: Cyber which will debut in just 13 days, CBS better move Stalker to a new night.

• Joy Davidson says:

I totally agree! Stalker keeps getting demolished by Chicago PD. I think it would benefit getting moved to a different night. I think this show is so worthy of a second season and totally deserves a chance! I just hope CBS does not do anything stupid and up and cancel this incredible show.

• Sally McLinn says:

isn’t the public sick of all the crime shows? The murder and serial killer stuff gets old after a while. I know it does with me. I’m no longer interested in seeing another (white) woman murdered and investigators trying to find the killer.

• Tran says:

Really wish a model from The Price is Right should guest starred on Stalker.

• BooBooKitty says:

I for one am pretty sick of them. But I suspect the public isn’t. There is a vicarious thrill of watching crime.
          I have never seen the fascination with any of the NCIS shows yet one of them pulls in over 20 million viewers. I don’t understand how this is possible

• Dean says:

The show has Dylan Mcdermott in it what did you expect?

4. Coal says:

I hate to say this but I think Sleepy Hollow’s drop in ratings serves as a excellent example for FOX as what not to do with the 2nd season of Empire.

5. Hmm says:

Last night’s Chicago PD was one of their best episodes yet. I highly encourage all to watch that show.

• Jules says:

I’ve caught it a few times but have no idea what’s going on. I liked it enough to stop so I could start from the beginning on Netflix or somewhere. It seems like a really good show.

6. Roser says:

Loved The Mentalist finale. Sappy but satisfying concerning the fate of the two main characters. About time for a sweet finale instead of everybody dying which seems to have been a trend in recent seasons.

7. dan says:

A few weeks ago I criticized MF as not being very funny any more. I’ll give credit where credit is due: last night’s episode was the best of this season. I may have to start watching Empire. Sounds like the show to watch on Wednesdays!

8. RMR says:

Empire belongs to Cookie Dah Queen!

9. Kate says:

I actually watched (while it was recorded since I watch Arrow it blends into the 100) Empire last night and I’m bittersweet. I’d been saving it for a Friday night treat when I got home from work.

10. GhostWolf says:

Even though the Mentalist was the third most watched show of the night, it doesn’t matter. All that matters is the demographics. Sigh. Still enjoyed the final two episodes.

11. TigerLIL says:

This is the coolest thing my girl Cookie just eating up the scene but last night was really good for all the actors they did a hell of a job. Great for diversity on TV and the big screen too…Oh the music was off the charts too.

12. Viv says:

Those Empire ratings are remarkable (and I really love the chart). So, where do those viewers come from? Is there a show that has lost especially much viewers to Empire?

13. DeeKayTee says:

Okay, as long as there was a chart we’re good! Lol

14. Julia says:

Is it weird that I kept thinking about this chart after watching Empire last night? Haha it is so much fun to watch this show do well. The entire TV industry is taking notice and I love it. More diversity and great storytelling is a good thing.

15. bigdede says:

The next episode of Empire will get that 13 million! Lucious and Cookie’s hookup was so good.

• Jules says:

I kind of feel like to really needed to that. I’ve been watching since it started and have liked the show. Not loved. After last night, I may have changed my mind. I can’t wait to see what happens next week!!

16. Et al says:

I didn’t even notice the Naomi Campbell typo last night. That’s hilarious. Somewhere in Hollywood there’s an editor with a cell phone sticking out of his skull.

17. Me says:

Empire! Empire! Empire!

18. BooBooKitty says:

I’m glad to see that it is doing so very well. Excellent.

19. rachelle says:

Taraji gives me so much life. She is amazing! And Lucious and Cookie are so freaking cute! I loved last night’s episode.

20. Kubrick says:

Wow at Empire! I really need to check it out. CPD actually beat it’s parent show so kudos for it. Stalker is truly dead at this point a CBS show getting the same ratings as a CW show is not a good sign.

21. kmw says:

Nothing more to say about EMPIRE. The way its going it will be over a 6 soon. Good that The Mentalist got the viewers but too bad the demo went down. At least it went out on a good note. Given the way FOX dominates on Wednesday now nothing the other networks do is going to matter much