Compared to the Season 9 finale (quick, name who won!), that’s a gain of 21 percent in audience, while this year’s demo rating of 9.2 represents a 12 percent bump.
All told, the Season 10 finale delivered Idol‘s first season-to-season gain in total viewers in five years, and its first demo increase in three.
Elsewhere on the final night of May sweeps — and yes, other shows were on:
* The Middle ended its season with 7.43 million viewers and a 2.2 rating, dipping a bit week-to-week. (Dipping a bit….)
* With 10.22 million viewers and a 4.1 rating, Modern Family wrapped its sophomore run with slight gains versus last Wednesday.
* Cougar Town‘s hour-long season-ender averaged 5.1 mil/1.9, down 5 percent on both counts.
* ABC’s Happy Endings enjoyed — wait for it — a happy ending, gaining 18 percent in viewers (with 4.06 mil) and 21 percent in the demo (1.7) versus last week’s double-episode average. And it’s coming back in the fall!
* Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior closed the case on its one-and-done run by dropping 10 percent in total audience (to 7.52 mil) and holding steady in the demo (at 2.0).
What did you watch and enjoy as May sweeps came to a close?