What to Watch Tonight

Madam Secretary, The Good Wife and 5 More Premieres

• CBS
    60 Minutes

Airs at 7 pm PT | Season 47 premiere: Among other stories, the news magazine tackles a major tax refund scam that the IRS has been unable to stop. (Is this about Ausiello claiming his Snapple as a deduction?)

• PBS
    Miss Marple

Season 7 premiere: Miss Marple investigates the death of a fellow guest at a lavish island hotel. Then at 9:30, she helps an old friend and her son find work.

• CBS
    Madam Secretary

Airs at 8 pm PT | Series premiere: Tea Leoni (The Naked Truth) stars as a former CIA agent who is abruptly appointed Secretary of State and promptly faced with an international hostage situation. Tim Daly (Private Practice), Bebe Neuwirth (Cheers) and Geoffrey Arend (Body of Proof) also star. Note: An encore airs after The Good Wife. (Read our First Impression!)

• Disney Channel
    Liv & Maddie

Season 2 premiere: The family gets ready to compete against one another in the Wisconsin Cheddar-Brat Fest… but Liv’s premiere of Space Werewolves is the same night. Oops! (See new cast photos!)

• HBO
    Boardwalk Empire

Nucky hosts a prospective “big fish” partner from Boston. Meanwhile, Luciano and Siegel meet with Narcisse in Harlem.

• Lifetime
    Witches of East End

If you’ve recovered from last week’s heartbreaker: Joanna is devastated by Tarkoff’s actions and tries to take drastic measures, and Dash’s secrets start to come out. (Get scoop from Rachel Boston.)

• CBS
    The Good Wife

Airs at 9 pm PT | Season 6 premiere: Alicia refuses to run for State’s Attorney despite Eli’s attempts to persuade her. Plus: Diane considers joining Florrick/Agos, but an internal crisis threatens to destroy the nascent firm. (Get scoop from Julianna Margulies and Christine Baranski.)

• Fox
    American Dad

In the very final unaired episode, Roger has a one-night stand with an alien voiced by Kim Kardashian. (The series jumps to TBS for Season 11, starting Oct. 30.)

• Showtime
    Masters of Sex

A television crew arrives to document Masters and Johnson’s work. Fortunately, Masters is great under pressure these days.

• WGN America
    Manhattan

Frank is blackmailed, and Abby finds comfort in the arms of the alluring Elodie.

• Adult Swim
    Mr. Pickles

Series premiere: In the rapidly urbanizing Old Town, Mr. Goodman (voiced by Bob’s Burgers’ Jay Johnston) and his family live with their lovable collie, Mr. Pickles, who has a secret Satanic streak.

• Adult Swim
    Squidbillies

Season 9 premiere: Early gets involved in the fight for marriage equality.

NEXT SUNDAY: ABC’s Once Upon a Time, Resurrection and Revenge, Fox’s The Simpsons, Brooklyn Nine-Nine and Family Guy and CBS’ CSI all premiere, while Ray Donovan and Masters of Sex air their finales.

1. Sara says:

This TV addict is very glad summer’s over :)
    The Good Wife

2. Jess says:

Witches of East End. Next sunday will be Once, Witches and CSI and Revenge. Love living in Canada where I can catch one of my 10pm shows at 7pm and then the other at 10pm cause of the Maritimes.

3. Joey Padron says:

I’ll check out Madem Secretary. Watch new episodes of American Dad & Manhattan.

4. Moment says:

Nothing on CBS for me this season on Sundays(For now) until CBS airs CSI Cyber. With TAR moved to Friday, it’ll just be OUAT and Walking Dead(From October), and maybe Revenge.

• Angel says:

Ditto…That’s why hope Madam Secretary fails and they bring back The Amazing Race to Sundays. Sundays will otherwise be a catch-up day for shows I missed during the week.

• Lauren says:

Yes let’s root for a good new drama to fail so that a bazillion-year old reality series can get back its time slot.

• Moment says:

I’m hoping the same. To me TAR is a much more deserving show for the timeslot and doesn’t deserve to be dumped on Fridays to make room for Madam Secretary, but now that its gone from the 8pm slot, it should be an older skewing night for CBS.

As far as I know though, the 26th season of TAR should go into production as usual towards the end of the year, so there’s that at least.

• Lizo says:

I love TAR, but Madam Secretary looks awesome and I want it to do well. Plus it pairs better with The Good Wife than TAR does

• Tran says:

CSI moving to Sundays beginning next week could mean that CBS may be thinking about planning a “final season” for the procedural series since its inception in 2000.

5. Steve says:

Ray Donovan
    Boardwalk Empire
    Manhattan
    Madam Secretary
    Witches of East End
    The Good Wife
    The Lottery
    The Strain

6. Brandy says:

Witches of East End

7. Viv says:

Finally the summer is over! My precious fall, I missed you so, so much!

8. Tran says:

Sunday Night Football. On Demand: Madam Secretary & Total Divas.

9. Cassie says:

The times on CBS are dependent on how long the football games go on and on and on. While I love Football – I wish CBS would pick a more predictable night – for their best shows – I hate having to keep checking back on Football teams I don’t care about – and then taping EVERYTHING and having to fast forward it on Sunday nights.

10. FJ2 says:

Id like to see an article that says if you can watch 5 hours or 10 hours of TV a week on basic broadcast and basic cable (not HBO, Showtime etc), what would you recommend. I cannot add more series to my lineup unless I stop watching others. I need to live my life – not sit in front of the TV

• Ally Oop says:

Everyone has different tastes so that would be hard. But maybe lists like 10 shows for procedural lovers, 10 shows for female-led drama lovers, 10 shows for comedy lovers, 10 shows for action lovers, 10 shows for soaps livers, etc

11. Maryann says:

Miss Marple x 2

I will check out Madam Secretary later when I don’t have to deal with CB S’s football scheduling.

12. Ally Oop says:

Nothing to watch tonight for me. I managed to whittle my Fall TV Watch List to 30 shows but by mid -October I will cut down to 25 (yeah I know I watch way too much tv).
    Nashville

Witches of East End
    Masters of Sex
    The Lottery
    Ray Donovan
    I think that’s it!

14. Tran says:

Now that the Fall TV season has begun, here’s my watch list this season: The Blacklist, Scandal, The Big Bang Theory, 2 Broke Girls, Mom, Scorpion, State of Affairs, Agents of SHIELD, How to Get Away With Murder, Parenthood (final season), Marry Me, A to Z, Hawaii Five-O, Chicago Fire, Chicago PD, Homeland, The Good Wife, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Person of Interest & Elementary.

15. Jax&Juice's Girl says:

NFL:49ERS @ Cardinals
    The Great Food Truck Race
    The Strain
    REPEAT Episodes of Once Upon A Time and Resurrection

• Jax&Juice's Girl says:

My List for the up coming week
      Monday: will try to watch SLEEPY HOLLOW if not hopefully Fox will show a repeat.

Tuesday: SONS OF ANARCHY

Wednesday: THE BRIDGE, Red Band Society and the last 5 min. of Big Brother finale *which I say Derrick is going to win!

Thursday: Project runway and HOW TO GET AWAY WITH MURDER finally!

Sunday: The same NFL, Great Food Truck Race, THE STRAIN, and the RETURN of ONCE Upon a Time and Resurrection

16. Jana says:

The Real Housewives of New Jersey
    Witches of East End
    Masters of Sex
    The Strain
    Last Week Tonight with John Oliver

17. webly3 says:

I’m so excited fall season is starting tonight! I noticed people posted their planned watchlists so I’ll post mine as well.

Tonight I’ll be watching Madam Secretary and The Strain.
    DVR: The Good Wife (I’m still catching up on the last two seasons. I started watching this summer.)

My shows for the season:
    (for sure shows)

(might watch)
    The Mindy Project
    The Good Wife
    Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
    Resurrection
    The Amazing Race

… yeah I watch a lot of television.

18. Mary says:

No Ray Donovan? It’s been so good this season and sadly, coming to and end.

19. Lizo says:

22. LAwoman says:

Boardwalk Empire
    The Strain
    Ray Donovan
    Masters of Sex

23. Cassie says:

Interesting how now CBS seems to have updated the times of their best shows ! They are like finding needles in Haystacks to figure out what time they are all going to be on. Just sayin…..

24. DanielleZ says:

Sunday’s are getting too full. I’ll be watching Boardwalk Empire, Ray Donovan, and 30 minutes of Madam Secretary if it comes on at 8:30 pm tonight. Otherwise I’ll have to watch it On Demand during the week along with The Good Wife.

25. Cruciatus says:

If anyone is still reading, does anyone know how long CBS is running over exactly? It’s at least 30 minutes at this point (on the east coast anyway).