What to Watch Tonight

The Oscars, Downton Finale, Bob Simon Tribute and More

Neil Patrick Harris Oscars

On TV this Sunday: Neil Patrick Harris gets his most legendary gig yet at the Oscars, Downton Abbey and Grantchester wrap up, 60 Minutes honors Bob Simon and The Walking Dead introduces a friendly face. Here are nine programs to keep on your radar.

RELATED Save the Dates: 40+ February Premieres, Returns and Finales

• CBS
    60 Minutes Presents: Remembering Bob Simon

In a special 90-minute broadcast, colleagues of the late correspondent Bob Simon pay tribute to his work in journalism.

• ABC
    87th Annual Academy Awards

Ubiquitous awards host Neil Patrick Harris leads this year’s celebration of cinema. Meanwhile, I’m still coping with The Lego Movie’s snub.

• PBS
    Downton Abbey

Season finale: London brings the Crawleys and their servants scandal, sabotage and a Scotland Yard stunner; Mrs. Patmore gets a surprise; Robert has a revelation. (Next Sunday: The Christmas special! Renewed.)

• HBO
    Girls

Soul-searching leads Hannah to an epiphany, while another disastrous interview for Shoshanna ends on a high note.

• AMC
    The Walking Dead

After surviving a major storm, Rick and the others meet what appears to be a friendly person.

• NBC
    Law & Order: SVU

Repeat to Revisit: If you missed NBC’s crossover between SVU, Chicago Fire and Chicago P.D., now’s your chance to catch the big episode.

• HBO
    Togetherness

During a morning hike, Brett meets Linda (Mary Steenburgen, Justified), a New Age believer who encourages him to get in touch with himself.

• PBS
    Grantchester

Season finale: Sidney tries to stop a killing spree as Geordie’s life hangs in the balance. (Not yet renewed Stateside.)

• HBO
    Looking

Patrick decides to be a “fun gay” by throwing a Halloween party — only to end up distracted by Richie and his new beau.

1. Maryann says:

Grantchester on Masterpiece

2. Elizabeth says:

Recording the Oscars so I can fast forward through most of it.

Downton and Grantchester live.

• Jenna says:

Great idea. I am thinking I will also as the Oscars appear predictable and lackluster compared to last year’s nominees – not a fan of Birdman. Would rather see Sidney and Dickens one last time. I wish NPH good luck.

• S McMary says:

I have been taping/recording the Oscars and every other award show for over twenty years for exactly the same reasons. Also in agreement about Grantchester.. I’ve been a fan of Robson Green for years and have become a fan of James Norton from this program. I love their friendship. Lastly, I’ll try to catch the Bob Simon tribute. I think that’s the most tv shows in one night that I’ve actually be interested in watching LOL

• Lizo says:

Lol same. I’ll watch the opening live and then record the rest.

• Lucifer says:

Same. I’m only watching the opening live and then changing over to The Walking Dead.

3. Jess says:

Nothing for me.

4. Ryan says:

I’m not sure tonight is the Downton Finale. My DVR has the finale as next week from 9-11 and has episode 8 on tonight

5. Ron says:

Usually I watch the Oscars. But I’m not sure about tonight. There are only 7 categories I care about at the Oscars: the four acting categories, best director, best song, and best picture. It’s honestly a foregone conclusion who’s winning at this point. Best picture is going to Boyhood, best song is going to John Legend and Common, best director is going to Richard Linklater, supporting actor to JK Simmons, supporting actress to Patricia Arquette, and lead actress to Julianne Moore. Only lead actor has a toss-up, and that’s just between two people: Eddie Redmayne and Michael Keaton. Given how predictable it’s going to be (and how LONG it’s going to be), I don’t know if I’ll be watching–there’s just WAY too many other things on TV tonight–TWD, Talking Dead, Looking…

6. Joey Padron says:

The Walking Dead, Talking Dead, & Comic Book Men.

7. bj says:

I’ll be watching Grantchester.

8. herman1959 says:

Downton and Grantchester. Tonight is the start of a HUGE finale week for me with Sleepy Hollow and Agent Carter on Monday and Tuesday. But, fortunately, House of Cards’ Season 3 is premiering (and I will try not to binge-watch the whole thing in 3 days as usual).

9. dj says:

according to my cable company, Downton ends on March 1

10. dj says:

The Oscars are so dull. Who wants to sit through all the garbage just to see basically, 5 categories that mean anything.

11. Tran says:

Don’t know if NPH is going to be a great Oscar host than Ellen did last year.

12. Jax&Juice's Girl says:

Going to watch some of the Oscars red carpet crap to kill time NOTHING gets in the way for
    THE WALKING DEAD
    TALKING DEAD

13. Walking Dead
    Act of Valor
    (light evening tonight)

14. Tallee says:

Downton’s finale where I am isn’t until next week. Anybody else on that schedule?

15. Bill says:

You are wrong about Downton. Its season finale is on March 1. Grantchester’s is tonight.

16. suzyku says:

Absolutely love Grantchester! Hopefully they will renew it here, best mystery they have had in a long time!

17. BTM says:

Looking put an episode on against the Oscars???

18. LAwoman says: