Throwback Thursday
Rob Lowe The Grinder Fred Savage Memory

Fred Savage Tries, and Fails, to Come Up With an Embarrassing Story About His Grinder Co-Star Rob Lowe

Turns out, Rob Lowe really is as rad as he seems.

At least, that’s the sense we got from his Grinder co-star Fred Savage, who when pressed could not come up with one silly, goofy or even slightly embarrassing story from their time on the short-lived Fox comedy.

During a press event for Netflix’s Friends From College, in which Savage stars, conversation turned to the actor’s memories about the sitcom. At one point, Savage even asks for an assist from Friends From College co-creator Nicholas Stoller, who was a producer on The Grinder, and co-star Colbie Smulders. After tabling the discussion for a while, we decided to try one more time. Read on to witness both how unsuccessful we were, and how damn splendid Lowe seems.

TVLINE | Grinder story, this is it.
SAVAGE |  There’s nothing embarrassing about Rob Lowe. Nothing at all. It’s… He’s perfect. As a person, as a dad, as a co-worker, as a man.
STOLLER | He’s very good looking.
SMULDERS | He’s super attractive.
SAVAGE | There’s nothing embarrassing about Rob. God. What’s a Grinder story? Nick was on The Grinder.
STOLLER | I know. I feel like it was pretty — it just kind of like, went smoothly and then was cancelled. [Everybody laughsIt’s one of those shows where it’s just like, “That went well.”
SAVAGE | The most embarrassing thing about The Grinder is how few people watched it.
STOLLER | It wasn’t a surprise when it was cancelled.
SAVAGE | I would say that’s the most embarrassing thing.

Do you miss The Grinder? And are you, too, under the impression that Lowe is a god among men? Hit the comments and let us know!

1. Natalie says:

I loved the Grinder.

2. Lauren says:

I miss that show!

3. Joey Padron says:

I miss the show so much. It was such a good and funny show.

4. 👻 says:

I loved that show. LOVED. IT. And I’m super picky about tv.

5. Ed says:

I worked crew on The Lyons Den back in 2003, and Rob was pretty damned gracious to one and all. I even worked on an episode of Dr. Vegas. Again, professional, welcoming and a genuinely nice guy. I wish I had a salacious story or two to tell for conversation’s sake, but he’s a genuinely good guy.

• Karen says:

That’s very nice to hear. He seems very nice and genuine on his new show, The Lowe Files, even though the show is a bit bizarre.

• Patrick says:

He behaved badly during the peak of his Brat Pack heyday. And he learned from that, and has been a dream ever since. Good for him.

6. Jan1987 says:

I hope they make new episodes someday. It was the BEST Comedy on Television last Season.

7. Cheryl says:

I never heard of it when it was on broadcast TV. I came across it on Netflix, binge watched the whole season, and LOVED it! So maybe the problem was in the network not promoting it enough?

Also – I’ve been enjoying The Lowe Files with Rob & sons. They sure seem like a very down-to-earth, nice family. So it’s nice to hear that Rob is genuinely a good guy.

8. Nero tTVfiddler says:

Grinder was a favorite of mine – I miss the show. ;(

“First my TV brother stabs me in the back and now my real one. I don’t know which one hurts worse.”

Dean: “What makes the Grinder, the Grinder, is that he never gets by on just being the Grinder, he proves it. Every second, every day, with every decision. Absolute integrity.”
    Stewart: “Well that’s a lot of pressure.”
    Dean: “I know, that’s why he did heroin that one time.”

Stewart: “So you’re gonna go to law school?”
    Dean: “I don’t think I need that, with the show and all.”
    Stewart: “Oh sure, acting on a TV show is the equivalent of going to law school, so why would you need that?”

9. When is The Grinder coming back? I’m ready this time.

10. Absolutely LOVED this show and still miss it! Smart & Funny!

11. Kathy says:

I adored The Grinder. Fox always cancels the shows I love (Alien Nation, Firefly, Rosewood).

12. Aliya says:

I know little if anything about the entertainment industry. What I do know is that there is no rhyme or reason to why the industry would eliminate the Grinder. Bring it back.

13. ccaton says:

I really liked the show. Shame it was cancelled. It was a good family show.