Younger Recap

Younger Recap: Which Kiss Was a Miss?

Heads up: This article contains jaw-dropping (jaw-dropping, I say!) spoilers from Wednesday’s episode of Younger. Didn’t watch? Don’t read!

Picking up shortly after last week’s tense Liza/Charles confession, Wednesday’s Younger served up a pair of puckers that are sure to have some tongues wagging right about now.

Younger RecapLet’s start with the kiss we all saw coming: Following an all-too-real sex dream about Charles — which I’m sure was so difficult for Liza, and my heart totally goes out to her — the two found themselves burning the midnight oil (alone!) at Empirical, an opportunity Liza seized to ask her boss about the whole “Why aren’t you dating me?” incident.

What followed was a series of glorious double entendres (“It’s probably hard by now,” Liza said about Charles’… cupcake), awkward observations (“You seem a little jumpy,” he noted), and a whole lot of making out. Off came the tie, down came the buttons, and in came… the janitor? Yes, unfortunately, Charles is just as bad about locking his office door as he is about remembering that the walls are literally transparent.

But while Charles and Liza’s latest kiss went down in fumbly flames, there was one moment that really intrigued me. “I have to tell you something,” Liza said between kisses, to which Charles replied, “Don’t talk. All we do is talk.” Question: Was she really about to tell him her big secret? Did she think that wouldn’t totally kill the mood? That’d be the equivalent of, like, 15 janitors walking in!

Younger RecapNow for the other kiss we all saw coming: Lauren may have been annoyed about Josh crashing her girls trip with Kelsey, but she changed her tune the minute she caught wind of the sexual tension between her companions. As it turns out, Lauren is pretty much the captain of the Josh/Kelsey ‘ship, at one point declaring, “I have been ‘shipping you two since you moved in together!” (As for the concept of “pity clitty,” I have no comment.)

And although Lauren wasn’t there to savor the fruits of her ‘shipping, Josh and Kelsey indeed locked lips after a bit of booze-fueled bonding. More specifically, they bonded over their shared history of dating horrors. (Zane, Colin, Liza, Montana, etc.) “You are going to bounce back just fine, all right?” he told her. “You’re one of the strongest people I know.”

As for the kiss, which lasted for a total of seven seconds (not that I counted or anything), it was… fine. There was plenty of eye-humpy buildup and hands-on-face action, but it was all over pretty quickly. “It’s not crazy,” Kelsey told him. “It’s just not right.” Josh concurred.

OK, time to weigh in: Was Liza and Charles’ messy in-office encounter worth the wait? And how are we feeling about Josh and Kelsey? (For the record, I’m way less opposed to them hooking up than I used to be.) Drop a comment with your thoughts below.

1. Casanova34 says:

Was so looking forward to Charles and Liza finally doing the deed. Kinda peeved that they are going to drag it out by putting his ex in the middle of them getting together properly.

I think Josh and Liza are really cute together.

2. Kate says:

Josh & Liza > Charles & Liza. All day, every day.
    SO glad Kelsey stopped the Josh kiss. Sign of a good friend.
    As for Jay & Liza?? Do. NOT. Want. !!!!!!

3. GB says:

Somehow, I feel like I’m the only person who can’t decide between Josh and Charles. She’s got amazing chemistry with both of them, and I’ll be happy either way. I just want them to make a decision so the characters can move on. Josh hasn’t had much to do this season: he’s treading water and having Kelsey move in is the only reason he gets any airtime at all. (Josh/Kelsey doesn’t work for me at all; I’m glad she was a good friend and put a stop to that).

• ninergrl6 says:

You are not alone! I’m so torn between Josh and Charles. I love them both and I think they’re both good for Liza for different reasons.

• DreamRose311 says:

You’re not the only one. My only problem with Charles is we really shouldn’t go through her seeing someone who doesn’t know about her secret again. Hopefully they’ll have the discussion before anything happens. But yeah, definitely amazing chemistry with both

• funnibone31 says:

I think it would be a nice twist on the show for the main character to end up with the “younger” guy

• Dominique Fuqua says:

I looooooove thus show of course this episode had yo happen but I will always be team josh and liza ….. Always nothing can change that no matter how hot hot hot that sex dream was. And for once I was hoping a girl and a guy could live together and just be friends that was a clecie move if u ask me

• Chaosrainz says:

Agreed! Not because it’s a twist per se….and I know Charles is the more “realistic” guy for her (their love of books in common, close in age, failed marriages, kids) but I LOVELOVELOVE Josh!!! He’s soooo sweet, a really good guy and totally, truly loved Liza. Instead of the smart, safe, predictable thing, I’d like to see them end up together. Charles is nice but too conservative. Liza needs fun and excitement in her life!

4. Elena says:

There is such a thing as dragging out a will-they-or-won’t-they storyline too far. I mean, just let us see Charles and Liza get together for real, Younger writers! Though I appreciated the couple scenes we got tonight, I’m just rolling my eyes at the ex wife now thrown in to the already complicate dynamic. Three and half seasons is long enough to drag this out. Just let them at least get out some of that sexual tension already.

• ColdinMaine says:

Agree with you. This plot has been built for sooooo long now. They pushed it past climax tonight and dropped it. If they try to push this conflict into season 5, then I will drop the show. I purchase each season and it will loose value in my opinion.

• katephoii says:

i knowwwwww right??? i was so mad at that janitor… and now the wife is back… tfff… i just want to see how Charles and Liza can relate so that i can choose between Josh and Charles….. coz am getting tired of the wait :(

5. Darcel says:

No Kelsey should not be with Josh. That is her best friends ex.

6. Dannie C says:

“walls are literally transparent.” Lmao very very true :D I’ve never been opposed to Josh & Kelsey. Knowing it would complicate things further for the better or worst but it was a bit lack luster I was exspecting more chemistry..maybe that was on purpose. Charles and Liza where to start other then the dreamed us janitor’ed us & now the Ex wife in the mix to ahhhh but I loved it even with all the excitement and frustrating

7. nikky says:

This episode was a snoozefest, characters are going below their composition. New characters added and sustained for no reasons. Seems like they are stuck and are employing pop tv surprises. Zain was a reasonable one and in universe but not explored further. Liza could escalate with Charles and something could be worked out in relation to Diana. Josh could be brought into the formula. A Kelsey, Maggie angle could be fun. Bringing the ex is not relevant, at-least not in the current easy path may be through Liza but not like this, there no life and looks like a hallmark cliche….it doesn’t say younger.

8. Ryan says:

First- I LOVE THIS SHOW! However….
    Josh?
    Meh… time for Josh to leave the show. It’s not believable in the least to think that Kelsey can’t find another apartment to live in NYC!! It’s not like she’s living in San Francisco.
    Josh annoys me. The whole washboard band playing, ideological, I don’t lie and ” I love craft cocktails” millennial BS.
    But I guess it’s a credit to the writers because the whole dense “touch me not” superiority of the millennial crowd really bores me.
    Time for Josh to go on a pilgrimage somewhere like Iceland or Oktoberfest or somewhere equally annoying.

9. Ryan says:

First- I LOVE THIS SHOW! However….
    Josh?

10. I hated this episode so much. Josh and Kelsey ruins everything. We were made to believe that Liza is the love if his life. Him kissing Kelcey makes me forever question that.
    And Charles and Liza need to just do it.
    This is getting annoying. The writing this week was really elementary and too on the nose. Opening with an obvious dream sequence felt very lazy. The writing is typically brilliant, so this episode was a huge letdown. :(

11. LIzaMSG says:

This is totally killing me. Josh is hot, but too immature for Liza, eventually he will want stability and, the family thing will come up again. Charles is great in his own way, but where is the fire in that man? it was such a buildup and then flat. Kelsey and Josh are like a brother and sister kissing…ewww! You feel the sexual tension and then you feel awkward watching. I’m glad they new it was wrong and caught before it went further. I’m sure this is not the last we will be seeing them and their brother, sister sexual tension. EWWW!

• ninergrl6 says:

Brother-sister, yes! I’m glad they addressed it, got the awkward kiss out of the way (I was yelling at my tv, “Don’t do it! Don’t do it!”), and now hopefully move past the Josh-Kelsey angle.

12. Erin B says:

I am waiting for Josh to tell Kelsey that he caught Liza kissing Charles. I wonder if Kelsey would be okay with another secret. I don’t think they should should Josh & Kelsey together. If he hadn’t been so much in love with Liza, I could see it, but he was going to propose. If it was just a fling, I could see a possibility of them getting together. I do think they either need to totally go there with Charles or shut it down permanently. I’m sick of the back & forth. I think the other conversation they need to have is the boss/subordinate one. I just can’t see them having Liza tell Charles for a while yet since the last finale was her telling Kelsey.

13. Dominique Fuqua says:

14. Pammy says:

Josh and Lizard all the way, they just compliment each other in so many ways.
    Team Josh and Liza all the way !!!

15. Sims says:

Here for both the couples. Used to be against both couples but they’ve sold me on Kelsey/Josh and Liza/Charles. Bring it on.

16. Emmalee Carroll says:

I have been dying to see Liza and Charles finally be together! In the first few minutes of the episode, I was so excited to see them finally do it but then heart broken when it was just a dream. Then when she practically jumped him, i was bouncing in my seat and then George walked in and killed it and then Liza loving Charles’ ex-wife’s chapters didnt help…..AT ALL!!! But my heart was mended, when he told her he didnt regret it (with the most adorable smile EVER!)! I could go on and on about how much I love these two.

As for Josh and Kelsey, they would be perfect for each other but I feel like its expected though. It would be so dramatic for Kelsey to date Liza’s ex, and find out the real reason for Liza and Josh breaking up and it being Charles too. It would be a mad house of crazy feelings and this show is all about crazy feelings.

I am done! Thank you!

17. Sarah says:

I thought the last two episodes were great. There were so many small details and they are obviously building the story. Personally, I feel whenever writers finally give in to a will-they-won’t-they the show loses a lot of drive and I usually lose interest. I think they are dragging it out perfectly without making it feel like they’re just throwing in random story lines to make it happen (an ex-wife appearing is believable). I think Pauline’s appearance will be the driving force to Liza revealing her secret to Charles as she fights for him (something along the lines of he’s choosing the ex because of Liza’s age so she tells him her secret to fight for them). I’ve always been team Liza/Charles – they are perfect together. Liza/Josh would never work because of the age difference – he’s already said he wants kids and she said she is done. I think we are done with Josh/Liza; what they’ve written so far seems final and to bring it back would feel like cheap writing to me. I don’t like the Josh/Kelsey pairing (although I’m not dead set against it) but I don’t think Kelsey is done with Zane just yet.

18. Emily says:

Yes!! Loved it!! I want more to happen between Charles and Liza!! Wohoo

19. Kelsey and josh was a miss. Friends don’t do that to another friend. .Even she knew that. That’s why she stopped it!

20. Mary says:

I hope they aren’t throwing the ex in so that Charles sees the error of his ways in her book and they get back together. I mean, seriously.

21. Sara says:

I love love love Charles and Liza together- so much chemistry and they have so much in common! Josh is cute and fun for Liza, but I don’t want Liza and Josh to end up together in the end. I definitely don’t like the Josh and Kelsey idea AT ALL! come on writers don’t jump the shark on that train.

22. I love Hilary Duff so much for this Kelsey/Josh thing is giving way too many Dylan/Brenda/Kelly vibes and I HATED Kelly. Lol

23. Erin says:

The writers are seriously KILLING IT this season. I thought last season was amazing but this one is leaving me wanting a Younger movie or something seriously. I just wish Diana and Maggie had bigger stories. It’s all very Liza and Kelsey focussed (which I get and I love) but I want more balance. And for Liza to make out with Charles a million more times…

24. I guess I’m in the minority because I’m Team Charles all the way!

25. Marge says:

OMG is Peter Hermann the cutest guy in the world! I’m plotzing that he’s shvitzing! And those kisses, damn, best screen kissing i’ve seen in a very long time. And he’s funny!

26. Lisa Otteson says:

What did Lauren make that was Brown in a pot session 4 episode 7?