Emmys
Emmys 2017 Lead Actress Comedy Nominees

Emmys Poll 2017: Who Should Win for Lead Actress in a Comedy Series?

Let’s be honest: In this category, there’s Queen Selina, and then there’s everyone else.

The Emmys race for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy has been a blowout recently, with Veep star Julia Louis-Dreyfus winning the past five years straight for her acid-tinged portrayal of inept politician Selina Meyer. (The category has been so one-sided, our own Michael Ausiello even called for Louis-Dreyfus to remove herself from the Emmy race.) She’s back this year to make it an even six-pack… but she also has a six-pack of hilarious ladies fighting to yank that Emmy out of her hands for once.

And the other nominees are no slouches, either: Allison Janney, who’s won two Emmys for playing Mom‘s Bonnie (this year, she moves from Supporting to Lead for the first time); Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin from Netflix’s Grace and Frankie, with two Oscars and six Emmys between them; and black-ish‘s Tracee Ellis Ross, who actually beat out Louis-Dreyfus (!) for this year’s Golden Globe. Plus, Ellie Kemper’s back with her second nod for playing Netflix’s incurably optimistic Kimmy Schmidt, and Pamela Adlon scored a surprise nomination for her wryly funny FX comedy Better Things.

All that said, we still wouldn’t bet against a sixth straight win for Veep‘s leading lady… but who should win the prize when the Emmys are handed out on Sunday, Sept. 17? Vote for your favorite in the poll below, then hit the comments to defend your pick.

Every day for the next three weeks, we’ll be posting another “Who should win?” poll, so visit TVLine.com each day to weigh in on who deserves TV’s most prestigious honor. (For a complete list of this year’s nominees, click here.)

1. Bkrom says:

Tracee Ellis Ross deserves this award. She slays on black-ish week after week.

2. Guy says:

I don’t care how many times Julia Louis-Dreyfus has won, there is no one funnier on TV. The only actress who ever should’ve stolen that statue from her at least once was Amy Poehler for Parks and Rec.

• Simon says:

Exactly…………Amy should have taken it at least once. I will say I’d be cool if Tracee wins it this year, she’s terrific.

• Ron says:

Also agree. The fact that Amy’s only Emmy win to date is a co-shared guest actress Emmy with Tina Fey for the two guest co-hosting SNL is truly criminal. She certainly deserved at least one win for Parks & Rec. But, like you said, Julia deserves her wins. When the same person wins consistently, I get annoyed because it seems lazy. But with Julia, it’s different. In those other cases, the perpetual wins are usually not deserved at all. But if we’re looking to award the best, and not trying to “spread the love” for the sake of spreading the love, well, then, Julia is honestly the best, thus her wins are deserved. That said, I don’t know if this past season was her best, so *perhaps* she’s vulnerable. But “not her best” is still so much better than other peoples’ bests that I wouldn’t be mad at a six-peat. I do understand the calls for her to voluntarily remove herself, but until she does (if she does), to date, her wins have been rightful.

3. jj says:

Allison has the best chance of beating Julia. Julia’s obviously an Emmy darling, but so is Allison. And it’s nice to finally have Allison in the appropriate category.

4. LT says:

Rachel Bloom…should’ve been nominated and won.

5. Frankie says:

I adore JLD but enough is enough already. Award shows become less interesting when the same person wins every. single. year. Time to spread the love!

6. Bruno says:

I know Julia already has 5 of these for “Veep” but I wouldn’t mind seeing her win one more time. S06 wasn’t THAT great overall, but she kept delivering scene after scene. Personally I think “Unbreakable” had a GREAT year, though. Ellie and the series itself deserve some love.

7. Rex the Wonder Dog says:

Kaley Cuoco

8. Brian says:

Love JLD, but would love for Tracee Ellis Ross to win.

9. John Stark says:

The correct answer is Issa Rae for Insecure. However, Emmy voters suck, so…

10. Jesly says:

She’s so incredibly talented. Anyone who watched Veep can attest to this. I remember the article you guys wrote about telling her to bow out of that race, it was awful and kinda sickening. Emmys aren’t a participation trophy race. If you’re the best, you’ll win.

It’s pretty telling that I never saw you people write an article few years ago to ask Jim Parsons to bow out.

• Guy says:

Yup, and Jim Parsons didn’t even deserve any of his wins. He’s so incredibly one-note. An absolute sham he won so many Emmys.

• Yeppers says:

I like Jim Parsons but he sure as hell didn’t deserve so many emmys (especially notover Steve Carell). I also remember reading that awful Tvline article telling JLD to bow out. Like where do you guys get off? She’s incredibly talented and deserves every freaking win. If the others want to win, maybe get on her level.

11. Nick says:

JLD. She basically saved season 6, which had an improbable storyline but stayed afloat thanks to her acting (and Tony Hale’s, which could win even though Alec Baldwin and Tituss Burgess are fierce competition)

12. Ronnie says:

If JLD had any kind of class, she would have taken herself out of the running after getting 5 wins in a row. Candice Bergen did after getting 5 consecutive wins because she felt that the work of her other nominees deserved recognition. Then again, I’m sure a lot of Emmy voters are like sheep and only pick what they watch and never even look at the other work. Here’s hoping the new voting system helps those whose work has been overlooked.

• Bruno says:

That’s very rude, saying she doesn’t have “class”. If the voters, 5/6 years later, still think she’s the best, why on earth would she turn down the acknowledgement? If she wins again, I’d be thrilled.

13. HAP says:

All very good actresses, but I would have loved to have Justina Machado been nominated for her awesome work.

14. dsrbroadway says:

Normally I’d want someone else to win, I hate repeat winners – especially when so many of them are just doing the same shtick and riding on goodwill. But JLD just continues to mine new aspects of Selina week after week, so I have no problem letting her have it another year. She’s simply comedy’s best actress.

15. I love Subway says:

I like all of them but I’m rooting for Tracee Ellis Ross.

16. pickles says:

JLD is funny and deserved most of her wins,but not for what she won on The news adventures of old Christine. Seinfeld and Veep of course she deserved those wins.