Johnny Galecki Roseanne

Roseanne Update: Johnny Galecki Eyes Return as David in ABC Revival

ABC’s Roseanne revival is looking to lock up a key, if elusive, family member.

The Big Bang Theory‘s Johnny Galecki is in talks to reprise his role as Darlene’s husband/baby daddy David in the eight-episode continuation, ABC president Channing Dungey confirmed Sunday at the Television Critics Association summer press tour.

“Those conversations are still in progress,” Dungey told reporters.

As previously reported by TVLine, producers — which include Galecki’s onscreen squeeze Sara Gilbert as well as titular star Roseanne Barr, actress-comedienne Whitney Cummings and sitcom vet Bruce Helford — are currently searching for a young actress and actor to portray the children of Gilbert’s Darlene and Galecki’s David.

Of Darlene and David’s two kids, one of them — daughter Harris — was actually introduced to viewers in Season 9’s 19th episode, when Darlene delivered the baby very prematurely. I’m told the now 14-year-old hellion will be the spitting image of Young Darlene, in appearance and attitude. Their other child, meanwhile, will be a boy under the age of 10.

1. DJ Doena says:

I think the only thing preventing this would either be scheduling conflicts or a clash between the networks.

I am basing this on Gilbert having a recurring role on TBBT as well as Laurie Metcalf as Sheldon’s mom. Methinks if there were personal issues (especially given Galecki’s and Gilbert’s personal history) the appearances on TBBT would not have happened, given that Galecki was the series’ lead alongside Parsons and Cuoco (Howard and Raj didn’t even exist in the original pilot).

• ToyCannon says:

I’m worried that Chuck Lorre could nix it given his history with Roseanne Barr.

• Billy Bob Johnson says:

CBS and Lorre are not going to tell the star of a 10-season hit comedy that he cannot do it. Even a scheduling conflict can be resolved, as it is only eight episodes, not a full season. Probably comes down to $$$$. More so Galecki’s agent and manager, who want a big piece of the action.

2. Barry says:

If they had the baby Harris in season 9, how could she be 14? She would be 20 now. The 9th season was 96 -97. Strange. Is this not set in the present day or is this another thing they are asking viewers to forget?

3. iHeart says:

well this doesn’t surprise me one bit

4. Dan says:

I’m going to make a bet that this reboot will eventually be extended for much more than eight episodes, that is to say if it even makes it to the first new episode. I think of how badly Roseanne butted heads with different people at ABC and I remain a sceptic. I hope it happens because I’m a big fan of the old show, but right now I look at this as a house of cards until I see the first episode being fIlmed.

5. Andrea says:

I’m sure the networks don’t care, but this would demonstrate a lot of goodwill if ABC and CBS can work something out. I’d understand if CBS couldn’t allow Johnny time off to be in all 8 episodes, but surely he can be in a few. David and Darlene were a big part of Roseanne. The revival needs Johnny.

6. Leon says:

I want to be excited but knowing what a vile white supremacist Roseanne had become I’m not going to be able to watch this.

7. I looking so forward to this. I watch Roseann on 3 stations on dish. I loved when Nana Mary and grandma was in it. I hope grandma will be back, plus Bonnie and Crystal.

8. Nathaniel Massey says:

Their daughter has to be 21 not 14 the age is a screw up if they say she’s 14! The show ended 20 yrs ago

9. SANDRA NEAVES says:

This shows coming back is going to be another big hit.sitcomes are much more entertaining then reality

• Helen katilias says:

Reality Tv has finally come to the end of the road. Sitcoms make famiy fun tv.several old shows are returning this fall .Bring om

10. Ryan says:

Channing Dunghry has been an absolute failure at ABC. With zero hits this past year and falling ratings in every series on the air- it’s a wonder she still has a job-

11. MLO says:

That’s gonna be weird. I’ll be like, “What are Leonard and Leslie Winkle doing on Roseanne?”

12. Cris DAlessandro says:

I think it would be a big mistake. He is identified as Leonard and Big Bang.