Great British Baking Show

The Great British Baking Show Season 4 Finale Recap: Who Won?

Friday’s royally themed The Great British Baking Show finale was more than just the ending of a season, it was truly the ending of a deliciously flaky era.

As previously reported, the iconic series — the current season of which already aired in its entirety in the United Kingdom — will look quite different from here on out: Only judge Paul Hollywood will travel with the show when it makes its move from the BBC to the UK’s Channel 4 next season. Judge Mary Berry and hosts Mel Giedroyc and Sue Perkins will not continue with the series; QI host Sandi Toksvig and comedian Noel Fielding have been brought in to host, while chef Prue Leith will take over the judging duties for Berry.

But enough of the sad news, let’s get to the good stuff. Namely, which of three bakers took home the trophy cake stand? Was it methodical engineer Andrew, consistent garden designer Jane or extravagant phys ed teacher Candice? Read on to find out.

SIGNATURE CHALLENGE | The first challenge of the evening was to create a three-tiered meringue crown. Candice was off to a great start, with her mango and strawberry crown earning a coveted handshake from Hollywood himself and impressed eyebrow raises from everyone else in the room. Jane also aced the signature with her strawberry, raspberry, blueberry and nectarine crown, earning herself a two-handed (!) handshake. Sadly, Andrew failed to secure Paul’s approval on his caramel pecan crown.

TECHNICAL CHALLENGE | The technical challenge should have been easy enough: a Victoria sandwich (two pieces of cake with jam and buttercream filling the middle) is a fairly simple dessert after everything they’ve baked over the course of the season. However, the judges had one last twist up their sleeves: Contestants were to bake without a recipe. Jane and Candice, high off their solid first challenge, failed to wow this time around, allowing Andrew to break out from behind and land in first place.

SHOWSTOPPER CHALLENGE | With all the contestants on an even playing field, the pressure was on for the final challenge of the evening: a “Picnic fit for the Queen” (aka the biggest challenge in the history of the series). The finalists had to bake: one chocolate celebration cake, 12 sausage rolls, 12 mini quiches, 12 savory scones and 12 fruit and custard tarts — that’s 49 items (!) — in the allotted five hours.

FINAL FEEDBACK | Jane’s “Family Favourite Feast” looked “right and regal” to Mary Berry, however her sausage pastry wasn’t fully cooked and her scones were touted as too bland. Candice’s “Picnic for Pearly Kings and Queens” fared better, garnering praise for her creative design of the [fully cooked] pig-in-a-blanket sausage rolls. Andrew’s “Family and Friends’ Favourite Picnic” was beautifully displayed, but, like Jane, his sausage pastry was not fully cooked and the glaze used on his strawberry tarts made them too soggy. After the judges gave their feedback, Andrew sagely whispered to Jane, “It’s you two.”

A WINNER IS CROWNED | And how right he was. After joining their family, friends, and former contestants for a picnic, the judges crowned Candice the winner, earning cheers from the crowd and her fellow finalists.

A stunned Candice reminisced about applying to be on the show: “[I] never, ever, ever thought I’d ever even get on this, and I’m standing here, now, with this. And they said my name, and that means more to me than I think anyone will ever, ever realize.”

Clutching her flowers and trophy, Candice proclaimed, “I did it. I’m good enough.”

Now it’s your turn. What did you think of the final BBC episode? Did your favorite win? Grade the episode via the poll below, then leave a comment with all of you thoughts!

1. kay says:

… Huh? This was season 7. But sure.

2. Wendy Nicholson says:

I just started watching this show recently. I am a horrible baker, so it’s interesting to watch how they all go about making beautiful and delicious looking treats! Thank you for having this show for me to watch!

3. Caitlin says:

Such a great finale! Loved seeing it again. Beyond sad GBBO is over now!! Hopefully Mary Berry will still come back for The Great American Baking Show. Going to miss Sue and Mel so badly.

4. Cate says:

Candice deserved to win but she’s no Nadiya!

5. Sharon Hoffman says:

What a great show. My husband and I love all things British, but this show is in our top ten.

6. Laurel Lane says:

One of my favorite shows; I love everything about it (And I don’t watch cooking shows.). A little trepidation concerning the changes for next season, but as long as the show stays nice and not cut-throat, I’ll still love it.

7. Nancy Rogers says:

I recorded the final because it was on too late for me. There was so much local fund raising that I didn’t even get to see the show stopper and only knew who won by checking here on the internet. I was happy that Candice won, and love the show. It won’t be the same without Mary and the other two gals.

8. Kim says:

I actually only saw the showcase challenge because our power was out for most of the evening but I had wanted Candice to win, so,I’ll wait for the replays to watch it all.

9. Tanya Otto says:

jane won in that was just not right

10. Rob says:

Love this show, mostly because–unlike on American reality shows–the contestants are kind and supportive of each other, and the producers don’t try to create unnecessary “drama” by “stirring the pot” (no pun intended). Candice is a deserving winner, although I liked all the contestants. Mary Berry will be so missed next season–love the way she always finds something positive to say.

• jj says:

completely agree. The positive vibe from all of the contestants supporting one another makes it an enjoyable show.

11. Art T says:

Candice is such a great baker and so beautiful; what a wife she would make!

12. c-mo says:

I love this show so much! I think this season’s contestants were some of the best. If only the American cooking/baking shows could be more like this, a show without forced drama; where the contestants help and support each other…if only….

13. Syl says:

I was pulling for Andrew. Candice and her phony Posh Spice pout was too annoying.

14. laura588 says:

I thought that Candice’s comment about how they were handing out handshakes willy nilly was catty

15. Kathleen james says:

Candice should have. won @ she did.

16. Susana Swierat says:

Love this show. Sad to hear Mary, Sue & Mel will be gone, but glad to hear Paul will be around for next season. Peace out from PhxAZ

17. Norma Endersby says:

I’m glad to learn Mel and Sue will not be continuing with the show … they drove us batty. They annoyed the bakers and us!! We will NOT miss them at all. Love Paul Hollywood; so delighted he’s staying … will miss Mary.

18. Norma Ann Torchio says:

Well it all sounds very interesting ! I followed the season from the beginning I’ve been watching the show for years ! But what I would like to know Y wasent it aired on PBS on Friday August 12,2017 ?

19. Norma Ann Torchio says:

Hello Y wasent it on PBS this past Friday in San Diego ?