Taken Season 2

Taken Mystery Solved: Find Out Why NBC Cut 6 Cast Members

Call it Taken: Take Deux.

Back in June, TVLine broke the news that NBC pink-slipped six series regulars in the wake of the action-drama’s down-to-the-wire Season 2 pickup. The network also made a showrunner switch, tapping Person of Interest EP Greg Plageman to replace Season 1 boss Alex Cary.

Per NBC Chairman Robert Greenblatt, the drastic overhaul stemmed from a belief that Taken “needed” a creative reboot. “There’s a better show in there,” the exec tells TVLine, noting that the “essence” of the series — leads Clive Standen (Bryan Mills) and Jennifer Beals (Christina Hart) — will remain in Season 2. “We love Clive and Jennifer, but I think we got a little disparate with [the supporting characters] and couldn’t really define them enough. So we just took a look at what the essence of the show was and tried to focus in on that. I think it’s going to be a really strong second season.”

The departing cast members include Gaius Charles (John), Brooklyn Sudano (Asha), Monique Gabriela Curnen (Vlasik), Michael Irby (Scott), Jose Pablo Cantillo (Dave) and James Landry Hébert (Rem). The show is in the process of hiring a handful of new recruits — including Flash alum Jessica Camacho — to surround Standen and Beals.

Taken‘s 16-episode second season is slated to bow at midseason.

1. diane says:

I liked it the way it was. Oh well.

2. westwingwolf says:

Okay, but if you just cut characters because they weren’t defined enough and replace them with new characters that probably won’t be defined either, what’s the point? You’re just going to be switching out characters every season (if there are others) and the audience can’t get attached to them and want to watch them succeed or fail. If the problem was the characters weren’t defined, then define them. Don’t just toss them away.

• jag says:

You just read my thoughts. Replacing characters that are not well defined with new ones seemed stupid. All this changes will rebooth the story and it will again go the process of defining those new characters. Why not take those familiar characters and define them in season 2. It’s much strategic I think. They can actually sprinkle this supporting cast here and there and tell a back story or an arch to define them. Ohhh well what do I know…

3. Lynn says:

There’s a better show in there? If you didn’t think it was that good why on Earth did you renew it? It certainly wasn’t because of great ratings. You give a slot that could have went to a better show on the chance this show might get better? Even if it does the chance of increasing ratings is slim. It’s just a fact that people try a show and ratings usually go down from there. People who weren’t interested in the first place probably still won’t be and people who gave up on it probably won’t be back.

4. Larc says:

Taken needed a creative reboot.” – Interpretation: It was costing us too much.

5. Rylie says:

Lol this spin… you couldn’t define the secondary players so you bring in new secondary players, ok then..

6. Jon says:

I love this and it’s a really smart and gutsy move. Most networks would just cancel the show but at least now we get to see more.

I liked the first season but it never got better than the first two episodes, which felt like a different show and new kind of show. Once everything was set up and the team was in place it just became a “monster of the week” type show.

I just binged watch Shooter on Netflix, done by USA and it’s amazing and the type of show I was hoping Taken was going to be. Now there’s a chance it can be like that.

7. Kenneth Detwyler says:

Everytime i remember that Chicago Justice got cancelled, and this didn’t, my blood starts boiling.

• :-) says:

*slow hand clap* that was a great show. I think if NBC had showed it a little love it could be a key player in their lineup.

8. KLS says:

Taken had way too many characters, well defined or not. I get that they were trying to establish a team which was reluctant to accept this new, lone wolf guy, but there were too many to follow. Why you had to get rid of almost everyone is beyond me. The power of the showrunner, I guess.

9. George says:

Is that the delicate tang of cow patty I smell? It is! Whatever the explanation, this isn’t it.

10. Dan says:

It’s so amusing to read such self righteous comments from people who clearly do not work in much less comprehend the television industry. So much bliss on display that I’m jealous.

11. Ken Lu says:

guess you can say they got… taken out.

12. Michael Irby was the only reason I watched. Will not continue