Celebrity Apprentice Cancelled

The Celebrity Apprentice Won't Return Anytime Soon, Says NBC Boss

Ahnuld won’t be baaack, we knew. And as of now, neither will The Celebrity Apprentice.

NBC entertainment chairman Robert Greenblatt told TVLine’s Michael Ausiello on Thursday at the Television Critics Association summer press tour that the competitive reality-TV series once hosted by future POTUS Donald Trump, who earlier this year was succeeded by film star-turned-politician Arnold Schwarzenegger, will not be back for another cycle anytime soon.

“There is no plan for The Apprentice,” the network chief said. “It’s not cancelled, but I don’t think you will see it back anytime soon.”

Schwarzenegger’s The New Celebrity Apprentice — which counted sitting president Trump among its executive producers — premiered in January to under 5 million viewers with a 1.3 demo rating, but by its finale had slipped to 3.5 mil and a 0.9. Unloading two hours each Monday night, it averaged under 4 million viewers and a 1.1 rating — whereas the last Trump-fronted edition in 2015 averaged 6.3 mil and a 1.9.

1. iHeart says:

GOOD!

2. flowerduh says:

Best new of the day!!!

3. Davin Peterson says:

Ratings were poor, that had cut the season finale from two hours to one hour.
    I didn’t watch it and stop watching Apprentice along time ago.

4. NP20 says:

Another reason to dislike Trump – because of him a show I enjoy won’t be back. If only he’d stayed with that…

5. Muffy says:

Ratings were poor. Even if Trump didn’t win, the ratings would still be poor. Nobody cares anymore.

• KLS says:

Agreed. I am not a Trump supporter, but the early seasons were entertaining. It played itself out though. Time for cancellation

6. grazelled says:

Well there goes another revenue source for the executive producer in chief. Probably one of the reasons many people didn’t watch was because Trump was still an EP. Guess they’ll reboot in 3 1/2 years.

• Grey's Fan says:

I doubt he’ll be the “executive producer in chief” for 3 1/2 years. He could be gone soon after midterms in Nov. 2018 – unless the law gets conclusive proof sooner to throw the orange in prison and throw away the key. It’s a nice dream anyway…

7. TV Gord says:

I don’t think the ratings were that great even when Trump hosted, despite his claims to the contrary (spoiler alert: he tends to lie pathologically), so I doubt we’ll ever see it again.

• Ann says:

I think it was a successful show for NBC ratings-wise and money-wise in comparison with the rest of NBC’s shows. Afterall, all of NBC’s shows are low-rated.

8. N.Kyl says:

NBC is waiting for DT to be impeached then talk him into hosting again.

• J.Norman says:

Not impeached, but NBC definitely doesn’t want to officially cancel the Apprentice franchise.
      To do that would give other networks the chance to pick it up and use it against them and NBC doesn’t want that

• H.H. says:

Doubtful. Have you seen Trump’s approval numbers? They are dismal and getting worse every day. If 70% of people don’t like him they probably aren’t going to watch a show he hosts. That would be a stupid investment.

9. Mary says:

Really don’t need the show, since #45 has made the Country nothing more than a spin off of it. The way he is going his name and brand with be worth zero.

10. Ann says:

Glad Celebrity Apprentice is done, but I hope NBC goes back to the roots of that show and do regular apprentice with ordinary people who asked had to work hard to complete tasks instead of calling up their wealthy celebrity friends to give them money to win the challenges.

11. jp says:

Just cancel it – are they afraid of the moron?

12. The only thing that Donald Trump has ever said that I agree with is, “Celebrity Apprentice is the greatest reality TV show of all time.” It actually was. I don’t particularly like reality TV but this one truly did encapsulate the genre. It was scandalous, trashy, the stakes always seemed bizzarely high and it was just purely entertaining. The Joan Rivers season was a standout, Omorosa was an incredible villain and we had some glorious feuds over the years. Even Trump was a great host. It is sad to see it go, but I can’t ever imagine it returning now. It’s too tainted and I’d feel really uncomfortable supporting it. I’m sure it wouldn’t be too difficult to create a show with a similar-but-not-too-similar concept though.

13. A Fan of TV says:

The last Apprentice winners I remember are Bill Rancic and Piers Morgan, respectively. Since the crew are contracted I’m not worried they’ve already likely found other work, so good riddance to poor entertainment.
    But I do think it’s freaking hilarious that, through the Apprentice, Gary Busey worked for Trump longer than the Mooch did!