Jennifer Aniston, Reese Witherspoon to Star in Morning Show-Themed Comedy

The latest salvo in the #PeakTV wars has been launched: Jennifer Aniston is eyeing a return to the small screen in a comedy series that would also star Big Little Lies Emmy nominee Reese Witherspoon.

Per The Hollywood Reporter, the A-list duo have signed on to headline a prospective sitcom that explores morning shows and the larger New York media scene they inhabit. The comedy will be shopped around to cable and streaming nets in the coming weeks (cue the Hulu-Amazon-Netflix bidding war in 3, 2, 1… )

The untitled project — which would mark Aniston’s first major TV gig since Friends concluded 13 years ago — is reportedly based on an original idea hatched by former HBO head of drama Michael Ellenberg. House of Cards‘ Jay Carson penned the script and would serve as an EP alongside Aniston and Witherspoon.

The gig marks a reunion for the two actresses: Witherspoon guest-starred in two Season 6 episodes of Friends as the younger sister of Aniston’s Rachel.

1. wow everyone’s switching to TV

• prada says:

they want good roles and if that roles are on tv they’re going to switch!

• johnhelvete says:

Yes it is that simple, many of the good roles are on TV. Plus there is no actual switching involved because actors can win an Oscar the same year they are winning an Emmy for a TV series.

• Jinjeon says:

Yes but there are some A-list movie stars that will never do a TV series, not even guest stint: Tom Cruise, Leonardo DiCaprio, Angelina Jolie or Cameron Diaz before she reitred. They just make too much money on silver screen to do TV. And in case of Cruise and Diaz they do not care about quality of project, they just want those eight figure paychecks.

• johnhelvete says:

Sure there is the 1% of top level film actors that probably never will do a TV series because they are still getting roles in films and getting their top quote to make those movies. I wouldnt put DiCaprio is the never category though. If he and Scorsese wanted to do X and they could not make X as a movie, I bet he would do X as a 6 episode limited series. Cameron Diaz is not a good example because if she actually still wanted to act she would likely be strongly considering doing a TV series just like Aniston, Witherspoon etc etc.

• c-mo says:

I don’t care if Cruise, DiCaprio or Jolie ever showed up on my TV screen, I have no desire to watch anything in which they star.

• Big Cheddar says:

And a lot of tv shows have shorter seasons now (13 episodes instead of 20-22), and a chance for them to produce and even direct a couple of episodes if they want. TV doesn’t have the stigma it used to have.

• dude says:

These days you either go to TV or you get a deal with Marvel. They’re jut not making quality original movies the way they used to.

• Christy says:

Totally agree with this! I have said this over and over to my friends and family. My parents NEVER used to watch TV, but now they are binge streamers of TV shows. And as for movies, we’ve both taken to watching international films, unless we want to see something superhero. US movies (and tv to a lesser extent) seem to me to be focused only on the most dysfunction of characters, most of which I find unlikeable. Give me a new Legally Blonde or The Proposal, please.

2. Tennisnsun says:

Sounds like fun. I’d even consider adding a Netflix subscription if that is where it lands.

3. Brian says:

This doesn’t sound too bad. I’d watch it if it’s good.

4. T.W.S.S. says:

Hope it lands on HBO.

5. T. says:

I’m not overly enthusiastic but Jennifer Aniston means I absolutely will give it a try

6. Alan says:

So they are following the footsteps of the great DAYTIME DIVAS from VH1 with Vanessa Williams???? It’s a fun show to watch, still in its first season 😉

7. NP20 says:

Please go to a cable network (and not a premium one!)

8. wmjindsm says:

Hollwood Reporter and Deadline say this is a drama not a comedy.

9. JJ says:

It would be great if they can cast Christina Applegate (Rachel’s other sister on Friends)on the show too.

10. Anne says:

OMG THIS IS AMAZING IM SO EXCITED!!!

11. Nicky says:

Love Jen Aniston! A true beauty…inside and out! Can’t wait to check it out!

12. Jacob says:

I would watch the crap out of this!

13. Syl says:

Yeah, love Reese can’t tolerate Jen. Tough call.

14. Trogdor777 says:

This could be cool! I thought I read that Reese didn’t enjoy her friends experience, because of the ‘studio audience’/immediacy of it. She seems like a perfectionist, and really prepares for roles. That’s why they lined up Christina Applegate twice (classic guest spot)! I could be misinformed…Reese wax awesome in ‘lies’! Not a huge Aniston fan, but we’ll see…..

15. J Frost says:

This could be really good. I actually thought Jennifer Aniston should have been in Big Little Lies so I’m glad they’re pairing up.

Everyone is doing TV these days. De Niro, Streep, Julianne Moore. I’ve just finished Ozark with Bateman and Linney and it was incredible.

16. I would watch the hell out of this. They are 2 of my favorites, and I will watch whatever they do! ❤️

17. LMF says:

reese witherspoon will be a draw. Jennifer is just a so so actress. I will watch

18. I bet Netflix will get it, or maybe Amazon, doubt Hulu will!

19. Randall Scott Johnson says:

this would be great! two great actors on tv. this seems to be the growing trend especially since there are not enough of good movies out there for all the stars.
    the theme of this project sounds good also, like a good morning america meets sex in the city!