Comic-Con

Supergirl Season 3 Video: Cast Talks Up New Arrivals, Then Bursts Into Song

The SuperFlash musical episode may be well behind us, but the Supergirl cast had some songs in their heart as they dropped by TVLIne’s Comic-Con interview suite.

For starters, the topic of Mon-El’s “mysterious” (as Chris Wood put it) whereabouts when Season 3 arrives led Tony Award nominee Jeremy Jordan to serve up a short ditty. Later, TVLine Senior Digital Editor Andy Swift’s solicitation of a Supergirl theme song resulted in Wood, Jordan, Mehcad Brooks and — with some nudging — series lead Melissa Benoist sharing an original tune they previously workshopped, about life on Daxamite.

On the non-musical side of things, in the video Q&A above:

* Season 3 addition Odette Annable playfully warned that her character, “worldkiller” Reign, will be “the best villain… that’s ever reigned!”

* Benoist spoke of Smallville alum Erica Durance being the “perfect” pick to fill Laura Benanti’s shoes as Alura

* Katie McGrath expounded on the refreshing Lena/Kara friendship

* David Harewood shared his excitement about having a onetime voice of Martian Manhunter, Carl Lumbly (Alias), play his TV dad

* Brooks previewed a CatCo shake-up that will stir some “soul-searching” in James

All that, and more!

The CW’s Supergirl returns Monday, Oct. 9 at 8/7c.

1. Abby says:

I’m surprised you guys aren’t mentioning the whole fallout from the “They’re just friends” bit about Supercorp that has a lot of people pissed off.

• Danyelle says:

Please stick to reporting the facts ~and fun videos like this~, TVline, not what sounds like hiss fits taking place in a tiny corner of the internet. lol

• jason says:

A lot of teenage shippers in fandom aren’t representative of how most people feel.

2. bobbie says:

What a delightful group of people, working on show and then promoting it is nothing but long repetitive hours, but they have found a way to keep themselves (and us) entertained.

3. Michaela says:

OMG! OMG!I can’t even get started on how great session 1 and 2 are and were but I bet if I think that sessions 1 and 2 are great I bet my brain is going to blow up and by the way it was a great idea filming the flash in 2 episodes of supergirl and filming supergirl in 2 episodes of the flash and thanks for filming mon el in supergirl and 1 episodes of the flash because supergirl was a little bit of a lonely will except for her friends at catco I think that’s how you spell it love the cast and producers of supergirl oxoxoxox😘

4. Kyle says:

They were dismissive and rude to their LGBTQA fans in that ‘song’. And seeing that a large number of viewers are LGBTQA, it resulted in a number of apologies from the cast.

While many other viewers used their words as another reason to spread homophobia and hate speech. So maybe you should report the actual facts, and not sugar coated nonsense.

5. Joey Padron says:

Good and funny interview with the cast. Good scoop about season 3. I can’t wait to see the new season!

6. Toni says:

It looks like they have a lot of fun together.

7. ndixit says:

Katie and Odette look rather embarrassed with the singing.

• Kate says:

That’s normal….have you ever been around musical theatre people….they are a lively loud bunch….if you’re not used to that it can get a little annoying (musical theatre person here).

8. Trina says:

So cool. This cast seems like a blast, if a little hard to keep on topic.

9. ninergrl6 says:

Loved the interview & love that this cast bursts into song at the drop of a hat. Very endearing.
    Random: Did anyone else have to watch a 6+ minute “23 and me” ad about people visiting Portugal before this interview video?

10. katlynneylon says:

I love this cast and I’m not in the camp of people that are very upset over the “They’re just friends” bit, (although I think there could’ve been a little more awareness/tact), but when he goes, “Million dollar question…” the only thing that came to my mind was “Did Maggie say yes?” and then, “Is Kara ok? Because that trailer looks *dark*.” But literally no thoughts about Mon-El. I’m fine with Kara/Mon-El, I’m not hating on that, but like…that was so far from my mind.

But it seems like the only things anyone cared about at Comic Con were “Where is Mon-El” and “Who is Reign” which just reminded me of last year when they made this huge deal over Tyler/Superman and he was only in four episodes–and one of them he was mind-controlled (again). Lol. At any point are we going to wonder about Kara since it’s, ya know…her show?

• Toni says:

I think because you can figure out what’s going on with Kara. She’s gone dark and we’ll see how it plays out. Both Mon-El and Reign were cliffhanger so it makes sense that everyone would ask about them.