Comic-Con

Supergirl: Calista Flockhart Set to Return for Season 3 Premiere

Cat Grant just can’t keep away from National City.

Calista Flockhart is set to appear in the Season 3 premiere of Supergirl, EW.com reports, and is then expected to recur throughout the season.

A series regular during Supergirl‘s first season, Flockhart appeared in just two episodes of Season 2 before bidding Kara & Co. adieu. She then made a highly anticipated return in the final two episodes of its sophomore run.

Word of Flockhart’s Supergirl comeback is just the latest bit of Season 3 casting news. Earlier this month, it was reported that Erica Durance, famous for playing Lois Lane on Smallville, will take over the role of Kara’s (late) biological mother Alura Zor-El. (Alura was originally played by the East Coast-based new mom Laura Benanti).

Supergirl Season 3 takes flight on Monday, Oct. 9 at 8/7c on The CW. Are you psyched for Calista Flockhart’s return?

1. padraicjacob says:

Wait could this be the blind item about someone getting killed in the premiere? And then she would be back only in flashbacks as they try to solve who killed her?
    Cat was def a fan fav in the first season

• Jinjeon says:

If she’s killed then I’m done with this show for good.

• Kyle says:

I just can’t see Supergirl going down the “whodunnit” route – it seems like it would be a storyline too dark for Supergirl

• Jane Q. Doe says:

I agree, Kyle. It’s totally not Supergirl’s style. And, I think they realize how important Cat is and (unless Calista was totally done) wouldn’t kill her off like that.

• JenJ says:

I was thinking the same thing. She’ll be back in a recurring role, could very well fit the description in the blind item. I hope I’m wrong, I’d really hate to see them kill off Cat. Please don’t do that!

• kalli says:

I would be delighted for Cat to leave permanently. I still can’t understand how I’m the only one who sees how abusive she was to Kara in s1.

• bobbie says:

She wasn’t abusive, she was a jerk to her assistance, but bosses can be like that, seriously this new generation really does need some tough love.

The show was obviously showing that Cat knew Kara was better then the position she was working and she was getting Kara to stand up for herself. The actors had great chemistry and the roles were well written, I don’t know how you missed the whole story line.

2. Alrisha says:

Let face it, Supergirl is not the same without her.

3. Uno says:

Good move but that doesn’t stop me wondering abt what they’ll do with james…

4. nabocane says:

I was skeptical before S1, but after a rough (cartoonish?) start, CF succeeded in making Kat into a three dimensional character. I was as surprised as anyone. It was a foolish move to have her absent in most of S2, which was tedious at times, with its hackneyed “aliens are the enemy” trope. Whatever happens, just write it well, puh-leeze! And Mon-El is the parachute on the back of the jet—a drag. Enough, already.

• Bertine Centen says:

It wasn’t the studio’s choice, but CF’s. Production moved to Canada, and this meant leaving her family for long periods at a time. Which, understandably, she didn’t want to do.
      At least, this was the explanation last year.

• Jane Q. Doe says:

I agree with the above. I think even Calista said for the first few eps they (and consequently she) didn’t have a handle on Cat. When they did, and let her imbue the character with little subtleties that showed how much of a mentor Cat is to both Supergirl and Kara, it became one of my favorite parts of the show.

She’s probably my favorite character, and I think Calista’s by far the best actor on the Supergirl payroll. Her 4 eps were the bright spot of a very disappointing Season 2 and hopefully we’ll get more of her – or at least the writers won’t forget she exists – in S3.

Because of the shooting location change, we know Cat won’t be an everyday presence like she was in Season 1 (seriously, the Flockhart-Fords ain’t moving to Vancouver). But she elevates the performances of the rest of the cast, and I believe the writing as well. Any chance they get (unless it’s Cat propping up that disastrous and damaging Mon-Ugh), I hope they can use her.

5. Joey Padron says:

Good news she will be back in season 3!

6. Another Poster says:

Yes, I am so excited to see the return of Calista Flockhart, especially since she knows who Supergirl is. Maybe she can give some good advice to Kara on how to keep other people from also figuring who her alter ego is.

7. Ashley says:

Yay! Best news out of Comic-Con!