Teen Wolf Reboot Eyed at MTV — Yes, Weeks Before It Has Even Ended

Because now we apparently talk of “reboots” before a show has actually ended, MTV is said to be in early discussions with Teen Wolf creator Jeff Davis about reviving the not-yet-dead drama as an anthology series.

The basic cabler is talking with Davis about the idea of bringing the series back within “a couple of years” with a predominantly “new class” (because everyone loved Saved by the Bell: The New Class, right?) and new setting. What’s more, the series’ current storyline is expected to continue beyond the “final” 10 episodes in the form of a Serial-esque podcast.

“These characters and these stories have hit a peak,” MTV president Chris McCarthy told The Hollywood Reporter. “We are talking with Jeff about how do we actually keep that franchise alive. And the beauty of the evolution of media is you can see the series going on through a series of podcasts and then see a resurrection of a new class in a couple years.”

Again, Teen Wolf‘s alleged final season isn’t even over yet. Season 6B — which features the returns of Jackson, Derek, Stiles and Ethan (watch trailer) —  premieres Sunday, July 30 at 8/7c.

Your thoughts on the idea of rebooting Teen Wolf so soon?

1. Doesn’t sound like a reboot, more like a sequel.

2. WayneInNYC says:

I’m willing to give the continuation/sequel/reboot a chance.
    They, of course, MUST call it “Teen Wolf Too.”

3. Ben Glesner says:

What about something actually in the spirit of the original movies?

4. Nathan says:

Cool. I wouldn’t mind having a female lead. Someone like Malia

5. S says:

I thought MTV was getting out of the scripted game? They’ll recycle something that isn’t even over, and yet cancel Sweet/Vicious, which deserved more.

6. GrumpyMittens says:

I’m torn.
    One hand hand this “franchise” is the perfect little summer guilty pleasure – audience-friendly but not stupid, decently written and not repeating the same storyline over and over again (looking at you, Originals). On the other – after two seasons I can’t even be bothered to remember names of characters from Team B and the last new character I actually like was Malia. They’re just there and I won’t even notice them gone. So the biggest obstacle here is writing new characters that would rival Scott, Stiles, Lydia and Derek in means of attracting the audience.

7. Kyle says:

Nah, try something new. I don’t know, maybe adapt Teen Witch into a darker, grittier show instead and have it loosely connect somehow. It can be a good rebooted revival like Teen Wolf was but still in a similar “universe” with Teen Witch.

8. bluepasj says:

Weird indeed, that we talk of reboots before something actually ends. Befits today’s world though. The podcast idea seems bad and. A sequel without the same characters and as an anthology is an odd way of doing it. But I would watch. Just hope it’d be gayer.

9. Dominique says:

that sounds like a bad idea. teen wolf peaked like 2 seasons ago, some of the main actors are already with one foot out the door. they shouldn’t reboo it, especially not with all new characters.

10. lisa says:

If they do this, with a new cast, they should go a more procedural route. I think it would work out better than every season doing the OMG how did we find ourselves in between 2 villains I just want to be a teenager thing.

11. Erick Voshel says:

I’m on board!

12. Bill says:

Terrible idea, the ratings have been pretty bad the last season and a half.

13. Steve C says:

Sounds promising but I doubt it can get any good momentum on MTV. Now on AMC or even CW yeah but MTV needs its own supernatural show too I guess

14. Hugh says:

I have to admit, this idea is not bad. It lets the cast move on and keeps the storyline current.

15. Ram510 says:

I can get on board with an anthology series, that’s the way it should’ve been to begin with. Have each season be 20-24 episodes broken up in half like they have done before. This way it keeps it fresh and they can still have an actual “teen” wolf.

16. Ram510 says:

Speaking of MTV series reboot,continuation etc. what happened to Awkward coming back and also Daria, are both those projects dead?

17. Aubrey says:

Why not just continue on with the younger cast of characters? Have Scott and his (OG) pack move on to college and follow the younger characters that are still in school?

18. milton thomas says:

Novel idea, how about season 7 Teen Wolf with college life! Worked with Buffy! Just saying!!

19. DEE BARRETT says:

Only if its not revamping this one and calling it new.

20. Marla Seelye says:

I would love it. So disappointed that the series is ending.it would be great if some of the characters stayed on as well. Do we have to wait a couple of years!

21. starxed212 says:

Absolutely no reboot. Continue or branch off of. Grow from this. Don’t disconnect from an as is phenomenal show. Do right by it and respect it, it’s story and it’s cast.

Further-podcasts? You can’t be serious?!? I’d rather see a 3 part two hour extension of 6b why take a show that’s earned it’s worth and toss it in the mud? Sure a Teen wolf too could be doable but first build the bridge. Leim is taking the helm etc. Wherever the series leaves us build from it don’t replace. Don’t reboot. That’s just insulting. To everyone.

• starxed212 says:

And an anthology is most doable. But, make the connection build a bridge don’t just change location and act like this didn’t happen. How can that be considered?

22. I will love the same Actor that’s was in season one, Teen Wolf 2 please let it stay original,

23. Vicky says:

Please don’t take this show off. Every show I watch is being canceled.

24. Joe says:

I think they should just continue the story in to college they could call it
    ” teen wolf on campus ” in the late 90s ABC family had a show called
    ” big wolf on campus ” it was about a college student that got bite and turned into a wear wolf and started helping people. I think if they went this rought they’d get another 8 years out of the show as Scott works to get his veterinary phd.

25. Angel says:

I love the idea but I want to see all the original cast after Alice died see them off in college but come back to beaconhills so Scott can in way help his pack.

26. Tariq Ahmad Khan says:

Defiantly I Want Teen Wolf To Carry On…I Love The Show N The Characters That Have Come N Gone…Best Werewolf Series In A Longtime…Can’T Wait For The Reboot…Hope To See Existing Characters In The Reboot…

27. Poppy says:

Largely fake news blown WAY out of proportion 0.01% true. Chris McCarthy spoke in a meeting briefly about Teen Wolf among a slew of other programs. Although podcasts were mentioned MTV expressed no involvement, nor interest in ‘reviving’ the franchise at any point in the future. To do so is counter to MTV’s present plan to do away with scripted shows and move back to reality and music TV.

28. Bob says:

The Calaveras

29. Bob says:

The Calaveras, I would love to see them in their younger days. Or Breaden, love her character. She should have a spinoff.

Hated the twins. The dread doctors was bad REALLY REALLY BAD. Some of the stuff going on in that season was cool but THE DREAD DOCTORS WERE TERRIBLE. I CHANGE MY MIND THE WHOLE SEASON WITH THE DREAD DOCTORS WAS BAD.

30. Ameena says:

I hope they stick to the same cast

31. Alex Jadiel says:

I really hope is more of a continuation even if it is with an entirely new cast. I have love Teen Wolf ever since Season 1 because of the cast and characters and even so I understand why we must move and pass them.

32. Alex Jadiel says:

I really wish each of the original cast members to keep getting new roles and to one day see them return for special episodes as supporting actors to the New Teen Wolf. I hope the next Teen Wolf takes place in the same universe as the original in a new town and new high school. It would be awesome if the villain for the first season is actually from Beacon Hills.

33. Lisa says:

Why would the cancel this show. It had so man by different functions it could go. I say maybe btw writers if they can’t figure that out. I love this show.

34. Laura D Hamilton says:

I think you can still use all characters from the Teen Wolf series, we are all happy with Teen wolf now, we really don’t want to see it go. The ratings are still high. So why cancel it, at all. Send them off to college, introduce new characters along the way. You can have more episodes or even a spin off with them in college as well as keeping the Teen Wolf going with the younger generations. There is so much that can be done now they are going off to college. Please Keep our Teen Wolf alive! It would be a same to waste such good actors and a great TV show, because you guys think it has run its course. We All Believe It has NOT run it’s course.

35. I need more of this for sure, with the characters we already have. Stiles would be an awesome FBI connection for hiding and protecting secrets. Lydia would be a professional banshee. Scott can make a baby wolf with anger problems. lol…Last one was a joke. There’s so much that could be done!