The Originals Spoilers

The Originals Season 5 Time Jump: Meet the Actress Playing Teenage Hope

Hope Mikaelson is, indeed, about to hit a major growth spurt.

As TVLine recently reported, The Originals‘ fifth season will begin with a time jump, one that will introduce viewers to a much older version of Klaus and Hayley’s daughter. And now, thanks to EW.com, we know that she’ll be played by 17-year-old series regular Danielle Rose Russell (The Last Tycoon).

Initially introduced to viewers as a baby in the show’s first season, Hope was eventually aged up (via another time jump!) and played to perfection by Summer Fontana in Season 4.

The CW drama’s fourth season ended with the Mikaelsons being forcibly scattered to the winds, and Hope being enrolled at Alaric and Caroline’s Mystic Falls-based school for supernatural tinies, so it’s anyone’s guess how Hope will inevitably reunite with the rest of her family.

Your thoughts on grown-up Hope? The show’s future in general? Drop ’em in a comment below.

1. Nathn says:

Let’s see how she holds up to Summer.

2. Riana says:

I wonder if she’ll get a love interest.

3. Dominique says:

i’m still disappointed about this. summer is such a wonderful actress and i feel like hope was the perfect age.
    seeing a teenage hope next to people like hayley and freya is going to be weird, i wouldn’t buy them being her parents/family. i’m also worried they did this because they can get someone to romance hope now, and the one thing that alway smade me like this show better than TVD is that romance wasn’t the no 1 plot.

• wooster182 says:

I really loved the actress that played Hope and it’s bittersweet that she’s leaving but it seems pretty obvious that they did this time jump in order to build an Alaric school spinoff with Hope at the center.

4. Wiz says:

How much you want to bet Hope will become annoying with her teenage antics. Julie should’ve just left well enough alone, Summer was a great addition and had chemistry with everyone. Plus Julie’s talking about a Hope spinoff? She needs to give up this Vampire Universe already. End The Originals while it’s still great. Plec must know she’ll be out of a job once this ends.

• Andy Swift says:

You’re assuming an awful lot, as well as passing judgment on a character/actress you haven’t even seen yet. Have a little faith.

• Wiz says:

I never passed judgement on the actress. I don’t know where you got that. And I’m sure I’m not the only with this opinion. People who watch TVD know Julie Plec and know she has a tendency to ruin something good by thinking she’s doing something right. These constant time jumps are annoying. Does anyone actually know how many years have gone by?

• terri badge says:

I agree with you hope should stayed small a little while longer and set it up to see how they were adjusting being apart its suppose to be about the originals and always and forever not just about hope and please the love interest julie trying to do is just a repeat of tvd and its getting tedious and redundant same plot line that’s why i liked the originals was adult about family sticking together no matter ups and downs or disagreements. If this season going to be all about hope than I wont be watching the originals anymore I didn’t like tvd with all that teenage love drama crap and sure not watching this but that’s my and my opinion

• Gift says:

I love Hope when she is small but everything seemed to be about her and protecting her that we didn’t get to see alot. See what the family had to go through keeping her save, I think I want to see what this new Hope brings. This should be fun.

5. Amy J says:

Hope “deus ex machina” Mikaelson, you mean

6. "A" says:

Was Hope 7 going on 14 now … or … was she 8 by the end of SE4 and shes going on 15 now ?

7. 'A' says:

Loving the casting !!

8. Lucy says:

I love your positivity, Andy! I for one, am going to give her a shot. Personally, while I felt Summer was great, there were some bits that I felt she was limited in, like the bits where she was possessed by The Hollow. This has nothing to do with Summer’s ability, I just generally find that children can’t act evil and bad as well – probably because they still have so much to learn. But Summer has great chemistry with Joseph Morgan, and Klope was always the selling point with Hope.

Maybe Julie’s decision to time jump had to do with how S4 ended and so they can do more with Hope. Hope is meant to be the most powerful witch ever, all that power it should be too much power for her to handle at a young age (She wore a bracelet to prevent her from doing magic when she was a toddler, but there is no issue when she was a kid), we’ve even seen Bonnie and Freya struggle. So I would like to see that struggle, I would also like them to show that all that power creates a lot of temptation, like when Bonnie started using Expression. I would like to see Hope struggle with good and evil. With trying to do what’s right or being a Mikaelson and what fans saw of The Originals back in The Vampire Diaries.

But I will give the actress a fair shot. By the way Andy, is she going to be recurring or a series regular?

• cecelia kovacs says:

EW said regular.

• Laudvekky says:

Yeah well! But that would just be a plain and predictable version of TVD, or should I say a Beta Version of TVD. The sellimg point of the originals is unbreakable family bond not the teenage and senseless romance in TVD. Plec should have just ended the show at Season 4 while it is still great

9. Wordsmith says:

I’m curious whether Caroline and Alaric will appear in this new time jump, and if they do, if the show will be doing anything to age-up Ric.

10. cecelia kovacs says:

She resembles Freya through the eyes, also Klaus somewhat. She was good in The Last Tycoon

11. So let me get this straight. The Originals have been around thousands of years, but never age a day. Hope has been around 7 years as of last season and is now suddenly going to be a teenager. How come she ages and the others don’t? Seems like a giant inconsistency to me and I hope they address it one of these days before the show is canceled outright.

• Kimberly Crump says:

Hope is mortal. They are doing time jumps so her aging does make sense. The Originals are vampires, stuck at the age they were turned no matter how many years pass. They showed Marcel as a kid too and showed him age to the year he turned. Freya was in a magical coma for a century, then was only awake for a year. Which explained her not aging. But now she isn’t doing that ritual anymore so she will she age.
      There weren’t inconsistencies regarding which characters age in which do not.

• sima1993 says:

The Originals are vampires. Vampires don’t age. Hope is mortal. Hope ages like all other humans & witches alike. Freya is mortal and she will likely age as well

• terri badge says:

vampires do not age Hope is still a human witch by birth but part wolf and part vampire because of her parents you know just like you got genes from your parents but the family heritage is witch what they were born to until the mother turned them into vampires so they do not age

12. Jane says:

She’s pretty, that’s all I can say for now as I haven’t seen her acting. She looks more like Joseph, blue eyes and hair colour, but then Summer didn’t look much like any of her parents but did really good job playing Hope. I’m interested to see if actual TO are coming back, Klaus, Elijah, Rebekah and Kol.

13. Katie says:

Beautiful young lady. I think she’ll do just fine. We have yet to see her in action as Hope so I’m going to reserve judgement till then. Another long wait ahead for Season 5.

14. Deborah Burnette says:

She’ll have some big tiny shoes to fill.

15. Jason says:

If Alaric shows up again, they’re going to have to start layering on some age makeup.

16. Cedric says:

i hate that the series is not all year and we have to wait till next Spring- It is my favorite show.

17. Ash says:

I hope maybe we will still get to see Summer as Hope in flashbacks. She was a great actress and had a real bond with Phoebe/Hayley.

18. Belle says:

I’m actually bummed, Summer is awesome! She held her own and was such a firecracker character I’ll miss her…she deserved more time before being aged :(

19. Teresa Lume says:

Love this show… so… it will gonna be fantastic

20. Paul Penna says:

This makes sense, and I totally expected another time jump. That said, I hope they bring back Summer Fontana for flashback sequences, to help fill in the details of her life between last season and the new one.

• terri badge says:

The time jump does make sense hope is suppose t be the most powerful witch of all time so aging her to develop her powers makes sense maybe she will be able to reunite the family even elijah remember davina decompel josh and cami and hope more powerful than her perhaps she can do the same for elijah

21. Erick Voshel says:

Eager to see what this young lady does with the role.

22. Pamela says:

At least she looks more like klaus and Haley.

23. Deion says:

A 12 year time jump will certainly kill requests for TVD characters to show up in The Originals. Even if Matt Davis is game, they’ll have to age him up. Still going to need some Candice Accola.

24. lisa says:

I thought the little girl playing hope was fabulous and had chemistry with her tv “family.” I’ll miss her.

25. k blanco says:

Feel bad for Summer, I really was liking that little tike. It’ll be interesting to see what if anything they write as interim stories that might’ve happened to Hope in her youth and whether we’ll see any flashbacks…

26. sima1993 says:

I thought I heard that Nina Dobrev was supposed to play teenage Hope??! As in Hope being another doppelganger to the TVD’s Elena

27. Cynthia says:

I liked the Hope storyline and Summer Fontana was great in the role. But, got to admit I was disappointed that Elijah and Hayley didn’t get together for some steamy scenes in Season 4. They have tremendous chemistry, even from the first scene they did together back in Season 1 of the show. And, to have the fans wait so long for the two of them to be free, and then have no real payoff! that kind of sucks, gotta tell ya! But, I’m a fan of the Michaelsons and I’ll watch next year. How do say no to Klaus, he’s amazing!

28. Erick Voshel says:

With Caroline & Josh on board, this maybe an interesting season. Also, looking forward to seeing what this young lady does with Hope as a teen.

29. Pamela Nelson says:

Happy to see any character from Vampire Diaries cross over to the Originals. Thrilled. ❤️

30. Taylor says:

I really hope the last season runs a full 20 shows and not limit it down to 12-13 again as some parts seemed so rushed! Season 3 still remains my ultimate favourite but the season 4 finale was a heart breaker. Elijah?!

Anyone have a suspicion the season 5 finale may end with an original death?

• TK says:

It’ll be mid season again and therefore only 13 episodes as confirmed by the series writers on twitter. Def agreee feels rushed compared to longer previous seasons.

31. chantall meyer says:

ALL I HAVE TO ASK IS, WHEN DOES DESTINED START? IM DYING FOR SOMEONE TO ASK WHAT IS DESTINED

32. iheanacho amarachi says:

I hope Rebekah becomes a regular in season 5 ;they always found a way to remove her she was one of my favourite and she will help teenage hope a lot