Doctor Who Casts Jodie Whittaker as First Female In Lead Role — Watch

The first female Doctor is among us.

Doctor Who has tapped Broadchurch‘s Jodie Whittaker to play the Thirteenth Doctor after departing star Peter Capaldi makes his final appearance as Twelve in this December’s Christmas special.

The highly anticipated casting was announced following the conclusion of the Wimbledon men’s final on Sunday.

“I’m beyond excited to begin this epic journey with [new showrunner Chris Chibnall] and with every Whovian on this planet,” Whittaker said in a statement. “It’s more than an honor to play the Doctor. It means remembering everyone I used to be, while stepping forward to embrace everything the Doctor stands for: hope. I can’t wait.”

Season 10 of the revived Doctor Who, Capaldi’s third as the Time Lord, came to a close on July 1. In addition to Capaldi, showrunner Steven Moffat is also on his way out, to be replaced by Broadchurch creator Chibnall in Season 11.

Whittaker’s previous TV credits include Black Mirror, Cranford, The Night Watch and Tess of the D’Urbervilles.

Your thoughts on the Thirteenth Doctor? Weigh in below.

1. I was really hoping for the Doctor to be a space dragon :(

2. Oran says:

Perfect choice! So happy we’re finally getting a female doctor. Good luck to Jodie!

3. Uno says:

I like Jodie Whittaker… I wonder if the companion will be a guy… Or is bill gone for good??..cuz that would be a fun dynamic for the companion to have to deal with a new body and possibly deal with some romantic feelings

4. Sara says:

LOVE IT!!!

5. Steph says:

I actually like this choice, and I haven’t been one to worry about it much. Although she’s not the first female Time Lord (Missy, anyone?), just the first female Doctor.

6. Dj says:

Is it weird that the first thing i thought was I dont like her hair. But besides that I cant wait till Christmas.

7. Klaus says:

Technically, not the first female Time Lord… The Doctor has a mother in at least one episode, some old guy regenerated in the same episode into a black woman, The Master is a Time Lord and was a woman the past few seasons… so, Jodie Whittaker is the first female Doctor, not Time Lord.

8. csr says:

First female Dr. Who but not first female Time Lord. Romana, who was played by 2 different actresses during the Tom Baker years, was a time lord.

9. Andrew Beck says:

Perfection! I love Jodie Whitaker. She’d make a very different Time Lord (even pique River Song’s interest somewhere in the Time World) Her voice is spectacular and it would be great to see her playing a strong role and not just a moper. I hope the show runners also demonstrate the difference between how a female Time Lord approaches problems as compared to a male Time Lord, And say someone like Parry Glasspool as her companion (Wouldn’t it be funny if she just came and pulled his character one day out of Hollyoaks?

• JMill says:

“I hope the show runners also demonstrate the difference between how a female Time Lord approaches problems as compared to a male Time Lord”

Exactly what I hope doesn’t happen.

Love the Doctor. Love the idea of a woman playing the Doctor. But the Doctor is the Doctor.

The Doctor isn’t a typical anything; no more a ‘typical male’ than a ‘typical giraffe’. Done well, the character shouldn’t be overlayed with rote, obvious gender tics anymore than any other set of preset behaviors.

See the Doctor react to *others’* gender assumptions or even use those assumptions s against them? Gimme. Soak up the subtleties that the life experiences of a woman actor will bring to the performance? Can’t wait.

The Doctor will now do X, instead of Y simply because, woman? No thanks.

10. Amelia says:

I didn’t even recognize her with the different hair after only seeing her in Broadchurch. She’s great in Broadchurch so it’ll be interesting to her in a completely different roll.

11. El S Boy says:

Chibnall did some very “home” cast…
    BBC want a 30 something lead this time around, he cast the age appropriate broadchurch member…

• Billy Bob Johnson says:

He could have cast Tennant and Colman and would have had the ratings go through the roof.

• Lambsilencer says:

I’m not too familiar with the old series, but has any Doctor ever reincarnated back to a previous version of himself? Even though I wouldn’t think that Tennant would want to return, I wonder what would have been the bigger outcry: A woman or a return to a previous actor.
        That being said, I really like the choice. Will be interesting to see how she’ll be in the role and how the show progresses with her.

12. peterwdawson says:

Nice. We know she can do drama, and after spending 3 seasons on Broadchurch having to deal with child death, well, getting to play a role equal parts fun and dramatic has got to be a plus.

13. Cheryl says:

Not my choice. If he was going female, would have preferred Tilda Swinton. She would have been a good bridge to change. Won’t be scheduling my saturdays around Who anymore.

• Amelia says:

I’m guessing Tilda Swinton would be a bit out of price range.

• SKane says:

That’s true, but the Orlando connection would have been neat. Maybe they can get Tilda to be a guest star.

• Billy Bob Johnson says:

Too popular. They never really pick someone who is popular outside of Britain. Besides, they were going for a bit more youthful this time. Swinton is 56.

14. Romulus says:

Yes! I can’t wait to see what she’ll do with the role :D

15. Bri says:

Oh, I love her.

16. Sheila says:

Oh, well, that’s me out. There was absolutely no reason to make the character female.

• peterwdawson says:

There was also no reason not to.

• mewp12 says:

Yes, there was. The doctor is a man. this is not good and will lose viewers. And since this is 13 it will be the last one.

• peterwdawson says:

You say the Doctor is a man, yet the clip above proves otherwise.

• viola says:

Actually, the Doctor is an alien with two-hearts who you have assigned a human gender towards… and from an alien species that has already been shown to regenerate to opposite genders.

Your prediction that this will be the last season is a very sad commentary.

• Vanaques says:

The doctor already ran out of regenerations with 11, he got a new set through the breach, which is how he survived Tranzilor.

• We don’t actually know if he was given a new set or if the Council did something else.
            Personally, I’m partial to the theory that the people of Gallifrey each voluntarily sacrificed a regeneration to provide the Doctor with the time that he would need to eventually free them. (Mostly cause I just like the idea that a part of him came from Romana, and another part came from the Rani-when are the bringing the Rani back anyway?)

• Temperance says:

No. The limit to 13 was lifted (at the very least because there are no others to limit the regenerations.)

• Lena says:

You must have missed Matt Smith’s episodes. The time lords banded together and gave the doctor more lives. It was never said how many more lives (“the doctor” and I say the doctor because the doctor is genderless), was given. For all we know every timelord trapped in the painting gave Matt Smith one of their extra lives, meaning the doctor could be around for a very very long time. I find it very sad to see ppl so simple minded to think that a woman couldn’t play a role of an alien being that wants to do nothing more than protect a race of child like humans… Hmm ya cause only a man could care about the weak and defenseless. Honestly in my opinion, based on the love, hope, and everything the doctor stands for, he should have always been a woman.

• steve says:

Yes there is a reason not to. It’s Ike casting Hulk Hogan as Peter Pan.

• Shaun says:

besides making it interesting and fresh?

• DC says:

Agreed, not needed. Somethings shouldn’t change just for the sake of change. It would sorta akin to having thevTardis be able to change appearance again.

• H.H. says:

There was no reason to make him young, or old, or white, or still not a ginger. If misogyny (internalized or otherwise) is going to cause you to stop watching a show that up till now you’ve enjoyed then congratulations, you’re only punishing yourself.

• JMill says:

Will it lose viewers? Yes.

Will it also gain viewers? Also yes.

To the former, don’t let the door hit ya where the good Doctor split ya.

To the latter, welcome, and enjoy the ride.

• Richard says:

Personally I would have liked him to be Asian or black before he became a white female. Girls at least have some (not enough) sci fi and fantasy role models. I am struggling to think of a sci fi series or film with an ethnic minority cast in the lead role.

• Izzy says:

The Doctor is a space alien that happens to look like human male until now. It’s a sci-fi family show, it really not that big of a deal what s/he looks like as long as the Doctor stays a pacifist (unless there’s no other choice), continue to try save everyone (unless it’s a fix point in time). Hmmm I guess the most important part of being the Doctor should be “Never cowardly or cruel. Never give up, never give in”!

• abjr says:

I’m in! Your protest is negated!!

17. CF says:

Curious to see who the companion will be.

18. TVLineCommentator says:

as long as she is not written as a frantically running around like Matt Smith and Capaldi (at his start)

btw, Capaldi had a 1 hour TV special, while Jodie gets a 1 minute teaser video

• peterwdawson says:

Yeah… right after the men’s final at Wimbleton. Rather than a big TV program, it’s a big TV moment, capitalizing on a major sporting event. It’s basically the equivalent of a Superbowl spot.

• steve says:

Wimbleton is NOT the SuperBowl on any level just as Dr.Who is not a woman

• viola says:

Oh, steve. Really? That is the best you have? #sad.

• J.B. says:

Announcing the next Doctor at the men’s final at Wimbledon is very much like the Superbowl as well as one of the most British things ever.

• jj says:

Dr Who is a British TV show. Wimbledon (note the correct spelling) is one of the largest yearly British sporting events. Trying to discount the significance of Wimbledon demonstrates your complete lack of knowledge about British culture. Also, no matter how many times you write “Dr Who is not a woman” won’t change the fact that a woman is playing Dr. Who. The sentence you’re looking for is “I don’t like that a woman is playing Dr. Who”.

• steve says:

you are wrong, The SuperBowl is the highest rated entertainment and sports television event yearly. Commercial time cost on it is enormous. Wimbledon is a nice event but it is Tennis and your sport’s appeal is limited at best. Your comments demonstrate your basic lack of knowledge about the world around you and your pompous island.

• Steve, do you understand that Doctor Who is a British show? The rest of us are allowed to come along for the ride, but the car belongs to Britain. Therefore it makes sense to center the announcement around a major BRITISH sporting event.
            Also, just because tennis isn’t a huge spectator sport in the US that doesn’t make it true for the rest of the world.

• DJ Doena says:

I have to disagree with you, JJ. She is not playing Dr. Who. She’s playing The Doctor. :-P

• TVLineCommentator says:

No, she is not THE Doctor, she is A Doctor, or the first female Doctor you might say

• Justheretpmesswithsteve says:

No one on God’s no more green earth gives two jellybeans about the Superbowl except of course the God’s gift to all mankind Americans.. so please come out of that shell.. no one cares.. and the Wimbledon may not be the most watched sporting event in the world but it’s at least way above in respect and for the Brits amongst the largest.. and for Doctor who to showcase the new doctor there is a massive massive thing.. also go back to playing American football like it’s even a thing… Wow. American football.. really if it wasn’t for your movies and TV and junk food I wouldn’t even know your country still existed over that massive brewing orange cloud of crap.. peace in the middle East.. oh wait I’m sorry.. you guys will never allow it to happen.. haha.. laters..

• Bruce Padgett says:

I think the USA should mean more to you than just the NFL and McDonald’s. Otherwise, who else would stop your enemies from taking over? Minimizing our efforts to bring peace everywhere is just plain ignorant. We ain’t perfect, but at least we try harder than most, and are very good at owning up to our mistakes as well. Your finger-pointing is not at all needed.

• JR says:

Just for the record, I am one American man(kind) who despises the superbowl and all the hype that comes with it. Its just one stupid game, once a year, that they make way too much money off of. I would much rather watch Wimbledon (and do).

• peterwdawson says:

Dr Who was Peter Cushing, the Doctor is an alien able to regenerate into a new form that has no gender specificity. Additionally, Wimbleton was watched by over 10 million viewers, roughly 1/6th of the entire population of the UK. While that’s still not as much as the US’s roughly 1/3 for the most recent Superbowl, it’s definitely up there.

• TVLineCommentator says:

everybody calm down…we all know that putting the Doctor Who announcement AFTER Wimbledon was to bring MORE viewers to the game of tennis. How many non-tennis fans actually watched the men’s final today just for it? Great ratings ploy.

btw, I bet Wimbleton is a Bill Simmons reference there

• steve says:

I have a great idea for in answer to all the uninformed anti-American comments. What if the Tardis is made real and we go back in time to WW2. But this time America lets you tough little boys fight the Germans by yourselves. You would this day still be Goose-stepping across the fallen down London Bridge.

• peterwdawson says:

So Man in the High Castle? Also, what does that have to do with the Doctor logically regenerating into a woman since the series has shown since the 1970s that this was possible?

• Richard says:

Ok going to disagree with Wimbledon being the Super Bowl. It really isn’t at all. FA cup final is closer to the super bowl then Wimbledon and even that is far off the mark. It was announced because filming will start soon and so it will leak out, and the trailer is roughly the same time slot as dr who airs in, personally I thought the big hour long reveal was a little over the top ideally it would be great if it could be a surprise until the regeneration scene but that won’t ever happen.

19. kirads09 says:

Love it! I think she will be excellent. Tennant and Capaldi always in my heart, but it is high time for a female Dr. Hope the hardcore fandom gives her a proper chance.

20. Rasana says:

So the doctor still isn’t ginger.

• Em says:

THIS. Everyone’s fussing about whether they like the idea of a female doctor or not, and this was the first thing that came into my head too!!

• J.B. says:

Came here to find this comment. LOL

• Gail says:

Yes but now she can go to the beauty parlor and change her hair color if she wants.

• Red Snapper says:

The only thing I was hoping for. I didn’t care if the new Doctor was male or female as long as they were ginger.

• makparis says:

This was my first thought. Don’t care that the Doctor is now female, I will give her a chance to prove herself.

• lrdslvrhnd says:

She might dye her hair for the role. Just ’cause she’s so very blonde in the teaser doesn’t mean anything for the show *g*

(Personally, I hope that the Doctor is never so vain as to actually dye his or her hair. Although I’d love an ep where the hair *gets* dyed by some outside voice, and the Doctor is all happy about it until it gets turned back at the end. And I’d be OK with some “future space dye” that’s a one-time application. But I just don’t see the Doctor touching it up every couple of weeks.)

21. wrestlingevolution3 says:

Don’t look at those youtube comments… wooof

22. The first female Doctor, not the first female Time Lord. Don’t forget Mary Tamm as Romanadvoratrelundar. I had been hoping for Christine Adams, which would not only have switched genders but also race, but baby steps I guess. There will likely be a lot of pushback as it is.

23. mewp12 says:

Bloody awful idea. The Doctor is a man.

24. Ken Cianfrini says:

The Doctor is always unique and challenging, yet is still The Doctor. This new one, like all the others, challenges expectations and avoids comfortable stereotypes. GO FOR IT!

25. John Berntson says:

Hopefully they will do something good with it and not just use it to check off another social justice box. You know, like “Class.”

• Uno says:

So a more diverse cast… Like in class.. Is checking boxes.. But a predominantly white cast is what… Just business as usual??… What exactly does that argument mean??

• I think John meant that diversity needs to be a process, rather than a box ticking exercise. It’s not enough to just cast a female doctor and then say, “look how diverse we are.” Diversity needs to start right at the beginning, in the writer’s room and then those writers need to create an environment where a female doctor can appear organically. If this is just a mans role being recast as a woman, it’s box ticking and not diversity. I hope they embrace the challenges and opportunities of having a specifically female doctor. The lived experience and different perspectives that can arise from this choice could inform a really unique and compelling character. Chances are, it was written for a male and then somebody just swapped all the “he’s” with “she’s”, which kind of defeats the purpose of diversity in the first place.

• Cate says:

Writer Chris Chibnell says he always wanted a woman to play the Doctor and Whittaker was his first choice. He will know her well from Broadchurch. I’d be more nervous if it was Moffatt but Chibnall hadn’t disappointed us … yet!

• Uno says:

What was done so organically before when the doctor was made a man??…

• Well he’s always been a man so that’s been built organically into the fabric of the show. A woman doctor is such a good idea as it has the potential to raise the same kinds of gender politics issues that are being discussed in this thread and society more broadly. However, if they are just doing it to tick boxes and not embracing the opportunity to tell stories from a specifically female perspective, it’s just gimmicky and pointless. The dynamic between her and the companion will be really interesting also, assuming the companion is male.
            The reason diversity is so important i because it allows TV shows to tell unique stories and to interact with demographics they may not have in the past. Sure, we could just pretend differences don’t exist, but that would mean the show is wasting a unique opportunity.

• John Berntson says:

Thanks, Sammy. But what I would like to avoid is diversity for diversity’s sake. Take the recent Ghostbusters debacle, where nobody seemed to realize that the male buddy dynamic doesn’t translate into female buddy movies and, probably as a result, they forgot to bring the funny.

What I would like is for the Doctor to continue to go about her chosen path of fighting evil and touring the universe despite the gender change. What I want is to be amazed by concepts (Like in Blink and Heaven Sent) and entertained by great actors telling great stories in creative ways. What I don’t want is yet one more lecture by people who still think it is 1968 and pretend that they are still waging a war on behalf of the oppressed – a war they mostly won decades ago. If I wanted a lecture, I would go to church.

• Yeah, I’m agreeing with you. It can’t just be box ticking for the sake of diversity. Otherwise it comes across as gimmicky and defeats the purpose of casting a woman in the first place.

• Eric says:

I would agree with you with the box ticking but at the end of the day success of the Doctor comes down to actor playing him/her. From what I see of Whittaker she has the chops. A strong dramatic skilll mixed in with a bit of odd quirkiness. Ps I disagree about new Ghostbusters. The scenes where it was just the women talking to each were the only ones that worked. It was the plot that they were given that sucked.

26. steve says:

Rename the show: Dr. What! A terrible decision ignoring the basic personality traits of the character. It’s as if casting Hulk Hogan as Peter Pan or Shaq O’Neil as George Washington. I have watched the show from the beginning and I am now done with it. This is the show’s “crack management team” saying, “Let’s do something controversial to get new viewers!” My disgust is not an anti-woman feeling but rather anti-sellout.

• Cate says:

So possession of a penis is a basic personality trait? I’d say most others traits common to the Doctor – loyalty, sense of justice, pretty damn scary temper, impatient – are all ones not reliant on gender

• steve says:

But his identity clearly is that of a man. Your logic progression would make it ok to cast Superman as a woman. OR Wonder Woman as a man.. Hope you can get past the “Penis’ thing aan such limitations of thought. Take care

• H.H. says:

The Doctor’s identity has changed in different ways with EVERY new incarnation. If sex is the one change that will cause you to walk away from something you enjoy then you’re only punishing yourself. So buh-bye, don’t let the door hit you where the good lord split ya.

• steve says:

your comment is not based on the facts regarding the program but rather on your own limited attitude and perception of doors and ideas..

• Eva says:

Except he’s not MR. Who, so…

• Temperance says:

So, in short, you ignored the point and tried to create a sexist strawman (by claiming sexism, no less) to replace a legitimate POV…

• viola says:

Oh, steve. Don’t fool yourself, your rants are indeed misogynistic & you should take a hard look in the mirror and your soul and ask yourself why the hate.

• steve says:

I’d use your mirror but it’s broken

• viola says:

Oh , steve. Really? That s the best you can do?

And dang, you really set about proving my points right with your other responses here. Best go out & find a mirror of your own to take that hard look at yourself after exposing yourself so thoroughly as a sad man publicly.

• Ben says:

You should have stopped watching the show in the 60s the first time it was clear that a Time Lord could regenerate as a woman, then. Don’t come into something late and then complain when you don’t understand it. Why have you even been watching the Capaldi era with Missy as such a big character, wouldn’t you have already flipped out over her version of the Master?

27. Jack Steel says:

Well it was a great series!…all good things must come to an end. Goodbye Doctor…shhh! I hear the tardis returning home. End scene gone to black blip!

28. partisan59 says:

All of the Doctors main companions since the restart have been women (Rory was more of a tag along with Amy IMO) and most of the main companions during the old series were women. Wonder if they plan to keep with that or if they plan to switch companion gender as well. I haven’t been the biggest fan of the sexual tension they’ve played with in the new series but it might have been interesting to see Bills reaction to the Doctor becoming an attractive woman.

• J.B. says:

The “add ons” as you call them, Rory, Mickey & Wilfred, aside don’t discount:
      Ian Chesterton
      Steven Taylor
      Ben Jackson
      Jamie McCrimmon
      Harry Sullivan
      Adric
      Vislor Turlough
      Adam Mitchell
      Captain Jack Harkness
      Nardole
      Though not a Companion in the traditional sense many fans, myself included, would count Brigadier Alistair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart. He served The Doctor longer than most “main” companions.

• Gail says:

Partisan59 said since the restart meaning since Rose was the companion. Most of your list are from prior to the reboot. The male companions since the reboot have not been the main companion. They were in addition to a main female companion or just a one off like Wilfred.

• J.B. says:

Except that part where they said, “…and most of the main companions during the old series were women.”

• partisan59 says:

I acknowledge that there have been male companions and cohorts particularly during the first 3 doctors tenure. However I can’t seem to recall a long term solo male companion even with the early doctor and certainly not in the new series. Opinions on that aside, I was mainly wondering if they will now go with a long term solo male companion with a female doctor. And since the actor is young and attractive will they again have the sexual tension that they seemed to decide to forgo with Capaldi’s Doctor.

• canadian ninja says:

Right so the reason you tend to get female companions is so the show had a female lead aside the male lead. That’s all.

As far as romantic schtuff goes, i don’t think it worked well for Rose and it positively crippled Martha so I’m anti-companion/Doctor romances. Besides the Doctor’s relationship with their companion is a huge, dramatic super close one – romance redundant really.

29. Bex says:

Ok, I’m a woman and I’m sorry but Doctor who is now officially ruined. I am a huge fan of the show, but the Doctor should be a male, full stop. That maybe sexist but he’s a Time Lord and I will not think of him as anything but.

30. Gena says:

Aww, yay! :) As much as I was rooting for Olivia Colman, I think Jodie will do a fine job as The Doctor — I’ve loved her work on ‘Broadchurch,’ and she was pretty good in ‘Attack the Block.’

31. J.B. says:

This really was a “damned-if-you-do/damned-if-you-don’t” situation. If they would have cast another man, even of any race, there would be people up in arms throwing temper tantrums about the character not being a woman. If they went with a woman, well look around. You don’t have to toss a stone that far to see all the righteous indignation.
    Personally, I’m not all that bovvered. However I do find it sad that we live in world where so many people are. Like EXTREMELY so.

32. Missy says:

I’m very excited about Jodie Whittaker being our 13th Doctor. She was fantastic as Beth on Broadchurch.

I am however, still worried about Chibnall taking over as showrunner.
    I mean, I really enjoyed Broadchurch, but I’ve never liked a Chris Chibnall Doctor Who episode.
    Guess, I’ll just have to wait and see.

• The opposite could occur. I liked all of Moffat’s stories prior to his becoming show runner, then he seemed to confuse being convoluted with being clever, the same problem he created for Sherlock. I had been thinking Toby Whithouse, but I’m willing to give Chibnall a chance, just as I’m willing to give Whittaker a chance. I haven’t been this excited for Who since Tennant left.

33. Ash says:

About time! I’ll even start watching again.

34. Sharon Davis says:

I will always watch Doctor who I love the show and I am willing to give the new Doctor a chance I hope she can do the Doctor Justice I look forward to seeing her as Doctor.

35. Gospino says:

I hope she’s great. Anyone who doesn’t like that a woman has been cast can suck it. (This includes my brother, who clearly has misogynistic feelings.) It’s going to come down to the writing mostly.

36. Rocco says:

Long time fan.Will check out.The best way to get New Doctor over is to introduce a great companion maybe even 2 like a brother and Sister and great historic villians.1st new season Daeleks,Weeping Angels to get people to tune in.Question is this a 1 year and done or will she be around for 3 years

37. steve says:

Well enough . The final decision on Dr. What’s feminization will come with the ratings book and sadly I believe the end of the good doctor is at hand. The shark has been jumped and the Tardis is lost in space. Have a nice season all.

38. Gail says:

Would be interesting for the new Doctor to meet Rose , Martha, and River since they had romantic feelings for the Doctor.

39. wgsecretary says:

I was actually hoping they would not cast a woman. I feel like they are doing it for the sake of being PC and because a lot of people were saying it was time for a female Doctor. I hate it when shows or books throw in things that pander to fan opinion. Now, having said that, I think she’s a great actress. I’ve only ever seen her in Broadchurch. But, she was very good in that. So, of course, I ‘ll still watch and give her a fair chance. If they were going to do this change, I think now was the best time. It will sort of be like when 11 started. We had a new show runner, new Doctor, and new companion. With a change as big as having the first female Doctor, I think doing a complete reset is a good idea.

40. ? says:

Oh man, Jodie Whittaker. That’s going to be interesting. She’ll be great, obviously. She’s been a star in everything she’s done, and I can totally see it. It was very heavily telegraphed that the next doctor would be a woman, but I did expect her to be older. Like Olivia Coleman. Then again going younger is probably smart.

• Kate says:

Olivia Coleman is 43, Jodie Whittaker is 35…that really isn’t a big age difference….

• canadian ninja says:

I love Olivia Coleman but let’s be honest, the apparent age difference is greater than the actual age difference.

41. waterfallbooks says:

I’m disappointed. The Doctor is an “idiot with a box” but having a woman portray that aspect of the Doctor’s personality will rub feminists wrong. So they’ll probably remove that (and some of humor of the show along with it) and just have 13 be super brilliant and fierce. Jodie can do fierce, but since I only know her from Broadchurch, I’m only familiar with her grieving mother persona and have no clue if she’s funny. Along with Chibnall, it seems like we will have a lot of great drama in Doctor Who going forward, but I worry about the comedy. The timing of this also seems to be a gimmick and pandering to social progressives (especially so soon after Missy and Bill). I hope Jodie will be great in the role and surprise me, but I also hope she won’t stay long (though I thought the same about Capaldi and now I can’t bear to see him go!).

• JR says:

I realize the “idiot with a box” quote came from Capaldi, but I would only really apply it to Matt Smith, all the other incarnations have been clearly eccentric, but brilliant. Particularly if you go back and watch Harnell through Davison (Tom Baker was an occasional idiot when it helped the story). I think she may come across as a very good role model for feminists…we have a year to wait and see.

42. Celina says:

I hope the doctor goes back in time and have sex with himself/herself and get pregnant. Then, they can make the main plot of the show be about the teenager trying to discover who is his father (Father Who?). The teenager thinks is river song or jack harkness, but in the end the truth comes out. The now anormal teenager decides to be the villain. When the parents, doctor and doctor, try to save the teenager from this path, it all goes wrong… the teenager kills the male doctor and, because of that, the female doctor never existed and neither did the teenager. A very beautiful ending for the series.

43. Steven groves says:

I Hope she is the doctor for 4 years plus.

44. Debbie says:

My first knee jerk reaction was a resounding no, then I remembered that it had also been my reaction every other time they’ve introduced a new person in the role. Then I remembered that before the Master became Missy, there was “The Doctor’s Daughter” except it wasn’t his daughter because she was a product of a genetic replicator. In short, she was a clone of the Doctor. That should have been enough to inform the viewers that the Doctor had the potential to be a female. Was this done to be ground breaking or are they courting controversy for controversy’s sake? I don’t know. Just as I won’t know if I’ll like this incarnation until I have a few episodes under my belt.

45. Iris says:

It seems that Time Lords can change gender (The Master/Missy?).
    The Doctor is a Time Lord.
    Therefore, the Doctor can change gender.

46. Snoopyman says:

Sorry. There goes the 50+ years of history with the doctor. Bad Choice. The world is ready for a black or ethnic doctor, not a woman. Take a page from Teresa May and watch the series suffer a ratings decline. Bring back Russell t Davies.

• skyebright8 says:

No, the mythology has always had Time Lords able to change gender as well as age or race.

• steve says:

Only in the mythology you have made up. That is not the point anyway.. One cannot cast a woman as Superman or a man as Wonder Woman for obvious reasons also applicable here. More importantly, long standing traditional character depiction creates a reality that super-cedes everything else even the misinformed demands of the few.

47. Kailey Carrasco says:

Isn’t David Tennant, who previously played Doctor Who, in Broadchurch? Or am I mistaken?

• J.B. says:

Yup. So is/was Arthur Darvill who played Rory. Olivia Colman was also in an episode of Who back when Matt Smith was The Doctor.

• Fido says:

Sarah Jane Potts was in the US remake of Broadchurch. Don’t think she has any connection to the Dr Who Universe, I just like her lots so thought I’d mention her. :)

48. Miss Mel says:

I’m probably in the minority but I never really took to her on Broadchurch. Since I’ve never seen her in anything other than that, I don’t know if that was down to her performance or the way the character was written, but I just couldn’t warm to her. Which was problematic as far as that series is concerned because, as others have pointed out, she was the grieving mother and I was meant to be sympathizing with her. Of course, the Doctor couldn’t be any more different of a character from Beth so I guess I’ll have to wait and see how I feel about her in a different role. But as of right now I’m not terribly enthused.

49. Miss Mel says:

50. David Graf says:

It’s nice that Dr. Who has finally caught up to Star Trek which had a female lead over two decades ago with Voyager. However, the show itself is still cheesy with little of the thought and intelligence that often marked the Star Trek franchise.