Doctor Who: New Time Lord to Be Revealed on Sunday — Watch Teaser

Doctor Who fans won’t have to wait much longer for the reveal of the Thirteenth Doctor.

BBC America announced on Friday that Peter Capaldi’s successor as star of the sci-fi fan favorite will be revealed on Sunday, July 16, following the conclusion of the Wimbledon men’s final. Watch the not-so-cryptic teaser below:

Season 10 of the revived Doctor Who, Capaldi’s third as the Time Lord, came to a close on July 1. Capaldi is set to make his final appearance as part of this year’s Christmas special, during which The Doctor will regenerate and the Thirteenth Doctor will officially be introduced.

And that’s not the only replacement in the works: Showrunner Steven Moffat is also on his way out, to be replaced by Broadchurch scribe Chris Chibnall in Season 11.

Have at it, Whovians: Who would you like to see cast as the new Time Lord? Pitch your suggestions below.

1. Westwood33 says:

I’d love it to be Eddie redmayne but I know that won’t happen. Just hope they’ve found the perfect 13. Can’t wait to find out. Peter has done a great job and I wish him well for the future.

2. SKane says:

The fact that this hasn’t leaked is truly impressive.

3. Jeff says:

I’m glad to see that Moffat is on the way out; While he has created some of my all time favourite episodes. I feel that since he has been show runner that there hasn’t been enough balance between the “fun” and “scary” of Who.

• retsim says:

Have to agree with you .Moffat has lost the fun and running element and has gone to far with out there sort of thing with no real thread running through it .For me he made Capaldi,s doctor a bit to severe .

4. 10+ years later we’re still calling it revived Doctor Who?

• Wordsmith says:

Maybe in 2032, once the current run has been going for longer than the original run, that will change.

• Gospino says:

If you call it season 10 of simply “Doctor Who,” you’d be wrong. I think it’s season 46 or so by now.

• The BBC itself makes that distinction, using “Series” to refer to the Pre-Davies version and “Season” to refer to the Post-Davies version.

• rowan77 says:

In the UK they never say season, always series. Season is used for BBC America.

• If you go to the BBC website, you will find, for instance, one page for Doctor Who SERIES 10 which takes you to the current Capaldi series, and one for Doctor Who SEASON 10, which takes you to the 10th season of the original version with the third Doctor played by Pertwee.

It’s as an official a distinction as you’re going to get.

• So I was mistaken in how Series and Season are used, it’s the reverse of what I said.

• And that’s the BBC dot co dot UK site, not BBC America.

5. Lauren says:

Why, why can’t they just let us find out during the actual episode and have a follow up interview with new guy afterwards?

• Scythe says:

Because of marketing. That sucks, I’d love to have it revealed during the episode, a true surprise, but they would have never got people (or media) to tune in an entire episode for the reveal.

Also, the earlier they reveal it, the better they can avoid leaks. I guess they just want to control the marketing. But I’m fully with you, it spoils the surprise.

• Brian says:

It would be very difficult to actually film the scene and not have the new Doctor’s actor revealed before airing. It is surprising enough they’ve actually cast someone without the ID being leaked before an official announcement.

• dragenphoto says:

Because in the UK, the reveal of the new Doctors is like election night in the USA.

• Jerry G says:

Filming on Series 11 is expected to begin by November, if not sooner. There’s no way they could film for nearly two months (before the Christmas episode airs) without it leaking out.

6. John says:

I’d have loved one season with Judi Dench as The Doctor. I know that’s not in the cards for her now, but she’d be amazing.

7. Suzy says:

I would love if he regend into a baby and had to grow up [. he is starting a whole new cycle of lives ). Only couple of episodes until he reached the age of the new actor. Hopefully 30ish Anyways be sort of interesting.

8. Ted says:

I really do hope it’s a woman. I know odds of it being Olivia Coleman or Phoebe Waller-Bridge are slim to none, but just thinking about those possibilities have put me in the mind that it’d be a really fun switch for the character.

• Taylor says:

I’ve wanted Coleman since Capaldi’s announcement, and with Chibnall taking over the timing now is even more perfect. CROSSING MY FINGERS.

• Gena says:

I’m not familiar with PWB, but I hear she’s good… I would be absolutely psyched for Colman, especially now that ‘Broadchurch’ has ended. :)

• maggie says:

Colman would be amazing! The can do comedy and drama with equal ability.

Phoebe Waller-Bridge is a talented actor-writer. She plays screwed up women with great skill and heart, and writes her own shows. She’s written and starred in Fleabag and Crashing, which were both funny, original works. But, unless she can do more than the screwed up girl who hasn’t grown up, she won’t be good as The Doctor.

• Billy Bob Johnson says:

Well, you were close. It is a Broadchurch actress, but not Colman.

9. Sheila says:

Please be someone good!

10. Gena says:

An announcement for an announcement — sort of like those teasers for trailers. What an age we live in… :D

11. Doc says:

It’s me. I’m the new doc.

12. The Writer says:

‘Men’s final’. Get it?

13. clintbrew says:

david harewood as the new doctor could tie in with the blind item cus supergirl was in the gallery if not it Kris marshal from Death in Paradise cus he quit the show soon after peter calpaldi said he was quitting as the doctor or hayley attwell if it a woman doctor

• taran63 says:

I do not want the Doctor to regenerate into a woman. I think it would just be gimmicky.
      And if it’s announced that the new Doctor is Hayley Atwell I will immediately become a hypocrite and eagerly look forward to the next season.

• maggie says:

I keep hearing it’s Kris Marshal, and I am not happy with that. David Harewood is a good choice. Toby Whithouse’s choice, Damien Molony would also be a good choice. It the new Doctor is a woman, Olivia Colman or Hayley Atwell would be great choices.

• gail says:

maggie I agree in the teaser it does sound like Kris I won’t be watching if it is as i don’t rate him an actor

14. SpockBorg5 says:

Good riddance to Moffat, he really f#$$#@ up the show the last few years. If he was feeling burned out he should have left a long time ago or fired instead of being allowed to forcibly pummel the buttocks the franchise the way he did. What a waste of a good doctor, and two crappy companion departures are elegant proof of his incompetence. I treat bill separately because that was a substandard companion period. If the other companion is a bald albino male who manages outshine you and gave a better performance then you were a terrible companion. Maybe if Bill looked more like tyra banks rather than Dwayne from the show “what’s happening” then people would have been more accepting. The fact that the character was turned into a preachy sjw didn’t help matters.
    Missy was a missed opportunity. The master should gave been put to bed for awhile along with other doctor who villains like the daleks and the cybermen who seemed like they kept getting recycled year after as the big threats. Instead of the master, missy should have been developed as the rani so we could have gotten a little more variety. Besides the rani there were others who should have seen the light of day again like the black guardian, omega, the movellans, the rutans, among others.
    Lastly there was some stuff introduced in earlier episodes that probably should have been touched upon, but were either forgotten or ignored by Moffat so he could intro other stuff in current episodes to forget or ignore p#$/ing off fans even more. Most notable is the doctor’s daughter who people keep clamoring for, but Moffat keeps giving the audience the finger by ignoring what the fans want. If they toyed with the idea of replacing the doctor with a female the show would have been better served if the character had been retired for a while and replaced with a female character instead of the flawed idea of gender swapping. The logical choice for this would have been the doctor’s daughter, and it would have been best if she had been a recurring character like river so as to provide a proper segway.

• Mark S says:

I’ve never read such a load of absolute bollocks in my entire life. “ignoring what the fans want” – what pretentious claptrap! I don’t know one fan who demanded the Doctor’s daughter. Get over yourself! And as for Moffat leaving earlier; you don’t have a clue do you? Getting Chibnall to agree to take over was difficult enough. The show is a poisoned chalice because of abusive “fans” like you, and very few want the job. Be thankful SM stayed as long as he did. And why would the BBC fire someone just to please a few disgruntled so-called-fans? Get over yourself!

15. Able says:

I’m really looking forward to finding out who the new companion is. The companion role is so key to the success of the actor playing The Doctor

16. obriensg1 says:

Olivia Colman could be good. Her “Night Manager” co-star David Harewood would also be a solid choice, and I would be ok with him leaving Supergirl for this.

My top pick is Hayley Atwell. I would just be over the moon celebrating this. She has said she doesn’t want it but that could be a misdirect. Then again, idk when they cast. I met Mr. Capaldi the first weekend of May and asked him if he knew yet, and he told me he didn’t as the Christmas special wasn’t filmed yet.

17. Anne says:

I’m SO excited that Moffat is leaving. I won’t even care as much when the new doctor is a white dude because I’ll be so happy Moffat is leaving

18. Sheldon Wiebe says:

I’d love to Liz White (Life on Mars UK) in the role. Or Colin Salmon. Or Steve Coogan. Or even that Maurice Micklewhite guy…

19. arial2 says:

If they’re bringing on board Broadchurch’s writer, could they please regenerate David Tennant’s Doctor? Please, please!!!

• JK says:

Yes please. The Doctor has been around so long and on a new round of regenerations. Let The Doctor choose what he looks like now. If this definitely cannot happen, maybe Hugh Laurie? He has not gotten himself typecast so he can be funny and serious. Not sure who else I would pick to go younger.

20. smitty says:

I love drwho always have from jon pretwee to tom baker and forward from there

21. Edyn says:

If it is the list I saw on Cheat Sheet, I would want Hugh Laurie, Kenneth Branagh or Idris Elba for an older doctor, no nerdy looking ones because we had Matt Smith and I love Matt Smith. He cannot be replaced and rocks the bow tie, but if looking for a light-hearted show, it would be Pegg. He reminds me of Tennant. I like Tennant also. These are my picks and mostly likely go with someone I never heard of. I know people who refuse to watch now that the companion is gay. Maybe they should do a male companion next time or a female doctor.

22. dan says:

Why does everybody keep saying 13? The next guy or gal will be 14.
    1)William Hartnell
    10)Christopher Eccleston
    11)David Tennent
    12)Matt Smith
    New set of Regenerations
    13)Peter Capaldi
    14) New Guy

What am I missing? Also, if I got to pick it’d be Idris Elba.

23. David Jude Thomas says:

Frigin’ Tilda Swinton damit!!!!! Been following her work since Derek Jarman. ❤️👠🌹😉

• Billy Bob Johnson says:

Too old for the part. They wanted younger after the Capaldi years. I think I still would have wanted them to persuade Hayley Atwell. I think she would have been more accepted by the “fan boys” who are now boycotting the show.

24. AGENT CARTER says:

Tom Mison would be perfect….

25. Anandasky says:

It’s Jodie Whittaker … now who is Jodie Whittaker? Must go in search of … :)

• Edyn says:

As an American who watches BBCAmerica, I never heard of Jodi. If the companion is gay, will she have a big crush on the doctor now? If that does happen or even with a new companion who is gay, count me out from watching. As much as I want to see a female doctor, count me out.

• Billy Bob Johnson says:

Guess you’re not fans of Broadchurch.