Kevin Can Wait: 8 Ways the Sitcom Could Address Erinn Hayes' Exit

When Kevin Can Wait returns this fall (Monday, Sept. 25 at 9/8c), the CBS comedy will have to address the sudden departure of Kevin James’ TV spouse Erinn Hayes — and the sitcom’s options are as limited as they are awkward.

To quickly recap, Kevin Can Wait‘s Season 1 finale reunited James with his former King of Queens leading lady Leah Remini, when ex-cop Kevin came out of retirement to work a case with longtime rival officer Vanessa Cellucci (Remini). With Remini now on board as a regular, the series is expected to morph into at least a partial workplace sitcom, with Kevin and Vanessa presumably partnered up to patrol the mean streets of, well, Long Island. But one big question remains: How will the show handle Hayes’ exit?

Will Kevin’s marriage crumble? Could Donna succumb to a tragic fate? Might Kevin Can Wait morph into The King of QueensPeruse the attached gallery (or click here for direct access) to view our theories, then tell us in the comments which scenario makes the most sense.

1. Michael says:

I like the last scenario best!!!!

2. Jimmy says:

The widower idea sounds like a better option than anything else. I mean, TV audiences can get past a lot (hello, Bobby Ewing in the shower!), but making Kevin a widower opens up a lot of avenues for the show to go down while incorporating Leah Remini into the cast and not doing a disservice to Erinn Hayes.

• Ray says:

The only problem with her dying is that seems like the scenario that would make him stay retired the most. Losing your spouse would draw you closer to your family. I think divorce makes the most sense because the season ended with both of them being somewhat selfish. Either way I would do a time jump.

• april-ann says:

To say that the TV audience has evolved since Bobby Ewing in the shower would be a wildly grotesque understatement.

3. Yolanda says:

The last scenario! God please! It’d be so brilliant if they pulled Newhart! TPTB make it happen!

4. Tom says:

I just don’t get why so many things always go death. Why so morbid?

• Sheila says:

Because it’s a good way to get rid of a character so they can’t return

• Jamie says:

It also keeps viewers from incessantly badgering the showrunners to bringing characters back. I bet Shonda Rhimes *wished* she killed Izzie.

5. Billy says:

Kevin can…go back to work and turn the show into a police comedy (ala Brooklyn 99) and only causally mention his home life from time to time and go on wacky capers/undercover stings with his partner (Leah Remini’s character).

6. Douglas from Brazil says:

#9. CBS pulls a NBC and reverse the renewal (aka cancel the show);

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

TV’s #1-rated, most-watched new comedy.

• johnhelvete says:

Which begs the question…. why is CBS panicking by getting rid of the wife character and (likely) changing the premise of the show?

• Christian says:

Because the show is a total flop and Matt’s factoid comes with a “big” caveat– Kevin Can Wait’s early episodes were boosted by Big Bang. Speechless and American Housewife routinely got higher ratings in the spring!

7. Evan says:

Still waiting for the star/EP to publicly address it. Unless he’s waiting too see if the ratings actually sink

8. Jason says:

Maybe she suddenly realizes that she’s way too hot to be with this schlub, and drops him like a bad habit. This whole thing is bizarre. It’s one thing to write her out over a pay dispute. It’s another thing to drop her because they wish they were another show. Changing the leading lady won’t make the writing any better.

9. tvadictmom says:

I hated the episodes with Vanessa. Doubt very much I’ll like the show with her as a regular. It’s a shame. I enjoyed this sitcom before the season finale.🤐

10. Marla Garner says:

Widower idea is the best, followed by divorce-they are logical. However, I do like the “it was all a dream” idea and it’s back to King of Queens, which should not have been cancelled in the first place. Also, if the kids are staying do something with them. Let them have storylines and be the mischievous kids that Kevin would really have.

11. Sunshine says:

King of queens was over years ago, Kevin can wait does not even come close to be being as good and adding Lea Remini is not going to change that, that woman who played his wife did a good job

12. Iris says:

The CBS way: Pretend that the character never existed to start with.

13. pfflyer says:

She should just fill the role of his wife the same way they changed Darrin in Bewitched. There is a whole season of jokes just for her being different. This show has no flow other than Chale and Gary Valentine. Actually Matt Leblanc’s show has better chemistry all the way around. What’s up with Kevin’s kids too? They are like dead weight in every scene second only to his uninteresting group of friends. Not even close to K of Q.

• april-ann says:

Why should she just fill the role of his wife on a show where the kids are dead weights, there’s deficient chemistry, an uninteresting group of friends, and has no flow? Just for one season of cheap jokes? If that’s the case, why keep any of it/them? They’re just a waste of space, writing, screen time, MONEY, for nothing. Get rid of it/them.

• vinny says:

anyone remember the 1st season of KoQs? They revamped the cast and stayed on for a while.

14. Bill Johnson says:

she dies from laugh track exposure.

15. Cas says:

Or people can realize Kevin James isn’t funny but comedy is subjective.

16. mike says:

they are about to ruin the show

17. Wawasjohn says:

I’m still annoyed there doing this, king of queens was great but it’s time to move on. Carrie wasnt even that good in the last two eps of s1. Donna is far more likeable. I’m gonna check out the first Ep but I home ratings take a hit.
    When it was one of the highest rated new shows last year.

18. datdudemurphy says:

I liked Erinn Hayes…

I thought she provided a good balance to Kevin

19. april-ann says:

What I want is Doug and Carrie otherwise it won’t be what we’re all hoping for I’m sure. Either of the last two options would work for me but I like the second last one the best. Proceed right into Doug and Carrie just as if Kevin Can Wait never happened.

20. Tia G says:

I love the explanation of Kevin dreaming and wakes up in Queens as Doug.. Bring back a reboot of King of Queens with some new twists.. would be fantastic.

21. Eric says:

Please #8. I believe Victor Williams, Patton Oswalt, and Nicole Sullivan are all available Jerry Stiller could make the occasional appearance.

22. Shara says:

Don’t like that they let EH go. Not interested in KoQ 2.0, I like LR but I may quit watching. I haven’t decided yet.

23. TV Gord says:

CBS should make an effort to find a new show for Erinn. A little good PR wouldn’t hurt this awkward situation.

24. Syl says:

Option 1: The wife announces she’s gay and is leaving to “find herself”.
    Option 2: She runs off with one of Kev’s posse.
    Option 3: She gets hit by a bus.

25. Another Poster says:

Erinn Hayes is killed in an explosion and leaves behind an orphan daughter, (that nobody knew existed prior to her death), similar to Magnum P.I. and NCIS, the Donald Bellisario method of writing out women characters.

26. Janet Marler says:

Another show I won’t be watching. Can’t stand Leah!!!!!!!

27. Jen says:

I’m good with any of the above. He and Leah are gold together and the last two episodes with her really highlighted how much chemistry they still have (even as different characters than Doug and Carrie) while he didn’t have any with Erinn’s character. #8 would probably be my first choice though!

28. Rosie says:

Just put Remini in without any explanation. Dropping the current wife has gotten sooo much publicity we all know whats going on, so, no explanation needed.
    Erin Hayes was such a bad fit with Kevin James I dont understand how she got the role in the first place.
    As far as writing goes, a really good cast can take a really bad script & work it like magic.
    So, my vote is on starting Season 2 with Remini as James’ wife & no cock-a-mamie, circle-thru-the-maze reasons why.

29. vinny says:

I’d love it if he woke up next to Bob Newhart!

30. ToyCannon says:

Re-cast the part with Daphne Maxwell-Reid.

31. Super Cat says:

Last scenario. Ten years after the finale of TKOQ, Doug and Carrie both have successful jobs and wonderful children. They move out of Rego Park and settle in Bay Ridge. But some things never change and Carrie finds herself having to keep Doug and the kids in line. Rename the show The Queen of Brooklyn!

32. Denise Lowery says:

If i wanted king of queens I would watch it. Didnt think I would like it but I did. As much as I like them both I will no longer be watching. I dont like manipulation.

33. Fran says:

I agree Mke it will ruin the show! Not a real fan of the show anyway,

34. Hawk says:

It’s a freaking COMEDY! I don’t watch sitcoms for real life sadness!! I can’t believe they’re doing this ! They’re insane and no matter WHAT they do – I’m angry and it’s over! I love Leah – add her! That would have been great! But why the heck did they dump Erinn Hayes who did a superb job playing his wife! They’re idiots and the show won’t go. Well, it will go – away.

35. Ah. A partial Barney Miller twist (although KCW had 0% previous work life). Probably the only thing that can save this wreck is converting it to an around 80% workplace environment, but I’d say scrap the whole thing & make a new show. There’s virtually nothing worth saving on KCW. The plots were a watered-down version of previous TKOQ episodes. Nobody in the cast is worth saving– both actors & characters (kids, friends, w/e the f * * k Chale is!). Like the upcoming Roseanne 2018, a The King Of Queens 2018 would be better but unrealistic. Jerry Stiller could kick any minute. Patton Oswalt is busy on multiple shows.

36. Dee says:

Wake up in Queens. He’s always going to be Doug. He wasn’t believable as an ex cop.

37. Dave says:

Don’t bring Leah in. And keep your wife.

38. Me says:

I love the Bob Newhart idea. I had this crazy dream I was a cop, and had an Indian kid living in my garage.

39. Donna says:

Erin Hayes was the best part of the show. Sad to see her go.

40. Carlos says:

This show is still on? The first time I saw this show, I thought it was a rerun of “King of Queens”. Same characters, same shtick, same story lines. Nothing to see here, folks. Move along!!