So You Think You Can Dance: Watch the Opening Number to The Academy

The So You Think You Can Dance contestants are going big, in the hopes of not having to go home.

In this new video from the July 17 episode (Fox, 8/7c), the 98 dancers who made it past the reality competition’s audition stage run through an ambitious, involved and flat-out fun number choreographed by La La Land‘s Mandy Moore.

“Welcome to The Academy,” judge Nigel Lythgoe announces to the hopefuls at the start of the clip. After noting that everyone there has impressed him and fellow judges Mary Murphy and Vanessa Hudgens, “it’s now time to impress the All-Stars.”

He adds: “This is one thing I’m going to ask of you: Bloom wherever you’re planted today.”

The routine — set to Ben Rector’s “Brand New” — highlights more than a dozen dance styles and was filmed over the course of one day at California State University Northridge.

Press PLAY on the video above to kick off The Academy callbacks, then hit the comments: Even at this early stage of competition, who do you think are the SYTYCD standouts?

1. Big Cheddar says:

I knew this was choreographed by either Mandy or Travis. So I guess another cost-saving measure was bringing everyone to CA instead of Las Vegas. I was wondering why they didn’t mention Vegas when they handed out the tickets during the auditions.

2. Nate says:

So Fik-Shun is both a SYTYCD All-Star and a competitor on World of Dance this summer? Wonder how he pulled that one off…

• Big Cheddar says:

I think WOD has already finished filming (which might be why Derek couldn’t perform on DWTS last season).

• Gorgonzola Matrix says:

What was nuts though was last year when Jenna Johnson was performing live for both DWTS and SYTYCD, there was a couple weeks of overlap.

3. GS says:

I hope TVLine does recaps again this year, like before the kids edition

4. Chicago138 says:

I didn’t watch the auditions, but after that performance, I’m setting my DVR right now! I started watching in Season 2 but skipped the last two gimmick seasons and had little faith in this one. So happy to see it returning to form. I just wish the choreographers were the guest judges. I miss Adam Shankman!!

5. That was awesome. This is exactly why I love this show, the wonderful feelings it bring out in me!

6. How are you ever going to select 20 from this amazing group? So very impressed with this video. A wonderful presentation. Loved everything about it. Such a wonderful, passionate group of professional dancers….. All should be working right now. So excited to see this season…. as a mom of up-and-coming dancers, it is wonderful to see such hard work shared… Thank you very much for this… <3

7. Alexandra says:

This was great. Question: if this is from the July 17 episode, which is in two weeks, is there only one more week of auditions? Just two cities?