Comic-Con
Agents of SHIELD Season 5 Ward

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Blindspot to Skip Comic-Con This Summer

The Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. are sitting out San Diego Comic-Con for the first time in five years.

The Marvel-based ABC series, heading into its fifth season, will not present a panel at this year’s pop-culture extravaganza (taking place July 20-23), executive producer Maurissa Tancharoen revealed on Twitter.

According to Tancharoen, the show — which doesn’t return until midseason, at some point after Marvel’s Inhumans wraps its eight-episode freshman run (airing Fridays at 9/8c) — will be at New York Comic-Con this October.

Update: Similarly, sources tell TVLine that NBC’s Blindspot — which is currently filming its Season 3 premiere in Venice, Italy (photo at right tweeted by @JaimieAlexander) — will skip San Diego Comic-Con for the first time since launching in 2015. Blindspot, however, will be at New York Comic-Con this fall.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. star Clark Gregg also lamented the ABC series’ absence from SDCC in a series of humorous but genuine tweets:

Even without S.H.I.E.L.D., there will be no shortage of Marvel panels at the con this year: Marvel’s Inhumans (premiering this fall on ABC) and the FX drama Legion will stage panels on Thursday, while Fox newcomer The Gifted and Netflix’s team-up series The Defenders are scheduled for Friday.

1. Larc says:

Comic-Con is a bit of a “much ado about nothing” anyway. Networks could just as easily make announcements via news releases.

• Esteban says:

…says someone who obviously has never actually attended comic con lol. It’s a bit different than “press release.” lol

• Mary T says:

I’ve never been to Comic Con, but I know it’s way more than just “press releases.”

• GG says:

It is more than press releases but the whole event has become a huge marketing event. And it’s very difficult for new people to get tix. Previous guests have preference. Look it up.

2. Ben says:

I wonder if its a reality of budget cuts. A bit of a bummer, but if its about money then I’d rather they spend it on the show. What I really want to know is whether Natalia Cordova-Buckley is going to be a series regular.

3. Lauren says:

I’m beyond thrilled I’ll get to see them at NYCC!

4. Jeepers says:

The cast always seems to have a fantastic time, so a bummer to not see them get to enjoy the weekend. Maybe they didn’t want to put out the extra insurance in case Elizabeth falls in the pool again! lol But lucky for me, maybe I can catch them at NYCC instead. SDCC has always been a bucket list thing.

5. lisa says:

This sucks. Agents of SHIELD cast is probably the coolest cast of any show on air right now and every single year their interviews were the best thing about SDCC. Just watch Iain de Caestecker and Ming Na Wen’s interviews from last year to see what I mean.

6. O.M. says:

What Marvel is doing to Agents of SHIELD is shameless, in my opinion. They seem to forget that there are many people who are fans of the show and more importantly that it is their only show that (after a rocky start) has been consistently delivering amazing, well-written stories with some really underrated performances, like of Iain de Caestecker. It’s a shame that they couldn’t even get the show to SDCC for what will probably be their last season.

• Marvels not doing anything. Take a deep breath, relax and unwad your panties.

• O.M. says:

First of all, my comment was not in any way as emotional as you think it was, so I don’t see the need for you to tell me to calm down. Second, Marvel has been ignoring its first show for years now and focuses more on marketing campaigns for Netflix properties. It’s not fair to the cast and crew working on AOS and to its fans. If you want to tell me that AOS ratings are the reason for it, I will disagree with it also. If they promoted the show more and actually showed potential (or past) viewers that the show is longer the same show it was in the first season, then it would be possible for the ratings to rise. It’s a business, yes, but at its core is an artistic work of many talented people. And Marvel (together with ABC) seem to think than AOS is no longer deserving of money being spent on it, which is a shame.

• Playhouse says:

They just granted them a 22-episode Season 5 when the ratings told them they should’ve cancelled the show. That’s quite a bit more money than most would spend on something they didn’t think was deserving.

• TheDuck0 says:

First off, I’m writing this as someone who agrees with you: AoS is an excellent show. That said, it’s virtually impossible for a serialized show to pick up viewers five years into its run, no matter how much it’s promoted: viewers believe that there’s too much backstory to catch up on. I’m glad AoS got a fifth season and would love to see more, but the viewership would possibly only increase if an episode featured the Avengers (and only for that episode).

• And to piggy back off you’re last statement; it would increase with the Avengers on Shield and unfortunately, that won’t happen due to the behind the scenes drama between Kevin Feige and Ike Pearlmutter.
            That’s why we won’t see the Avengers find out that Coulson is alive.

• Carol_R says:

I quit watching AOS after the end of Season 2. I loved it in Season 1 and didn’t like much of Season 2. Many of its fans didn’t like how they changed the show and like me quit watching it.

• Dude… you have to understand. The show’s not premiering till after InHuman’s run which starts on September 29th with 8 episodes which means we won’t get Shield till about midseason. It makes sense for them to not be at SDCC.