Sense8 Revival

Sense8 Revived at Netflix; Wrap-Up Special Announced for 2018

Netflix has finally come to its Sense8-s.

Co-creator Lana Wachowski took to Facebook on Thursday to share a very important update on the fight to save the canceled series, announcing that there will be “another two-hour special released next year,” which reveal “what happens to Wolfgang.”

Read Wachowski’s statement in full below:

Fans of the science-fiction drama raised holy hell when Netflix gave it the axe earlier this month, and a recent update — in which Netflix confirmed that it would not bring the series back — did nothing to raise their spirits.

Even cast member Brian J. Smith lamented the show’s cancellation a few weeks ago, telling fans that he would always consider it an “unfinished symphony.” (Seriously, no one thought this revival was going to happen.)

Your thoughts on Netflix’s unexpected change of heart? What do you hope to see in this two-hour special? Whatever you’re feeling right now, let’s hear about it in a comment below.

1. darkn3ss says:

Best news of the day.

2. Annie Sisk says:

I am wigging right the eff out. Best news I’ve heard in quite awhile.

3. Gail P says:

Yay!!! I was so heartbroken for them to end the series on such a huge cliffhanger. We need the closure!!!

4. Katherine215 says:

Fantastic news!!!! I’m so happy to hear this. I really needed closure with this show.

5. Beverly Clark says:

Fantastic news; I am thrilled!

6. Amanda says:

Its the VERY least that Netflix could do for the Sense8 fans! I am pretty pleased to hear this. I needed a wrap up, and at least we will get that, even if they won’t give us another season.

7. Phillip says:

I’m freaking out!! So happy!!!

8. Mare says:

That is AWESOME!!!

9. Carolyn says:

I see what you did there, Andy. Well done.
    Also, YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!

10. Oran says:

That’s awesome!!!

11. Jack Smythe says:

great news indeed, but two hours seems too little. perhaps two more two hour shows to wrap it up?

what kind of response would it take to get netflix to offer more?

• L. says:

Viewership. We need to keep the fanbase updated and not let Netflix drop the ball this time. It was their serious lack of promotion that caused this in the first place. The number of people who are just now trying out the show after hearing about it post cancellation announcement is unbelievable.

12. Wordsmith says:

Stunned and elated. Never say never!

13. Kim W. R. says:

I hoping that 520,000+ petition signatures helped a little. Maybe there’ll be a point in time that DVD/Blu-Rays will be available.

14. I was never going to cancel Netflix, because they have too many other good shows (Bojack, OINTB, Stranger Things, Glow), but this makes me love Netflix again. Sense8 was one of their best shows and with its global scale and its message of inclusiveness it deserved to get a real ending for the fan base that has embraced it.

15. Jim says:

It is terrible for Netflix’s brand to cancel shows without a proper resolution. That’s exactly the sort of thing loyal Netflix viewers expect will NOT happen to them when they invest themselves emotionally into one of their shows. I am glad they finally realized that. I’m sure they will lose money on the special (seriously, given all the travel and location shooting and the super large cast, Sense8 is probably the most expensive show I’ve ever seen), but it will be a very wise financial decision in the long run.

• jj says:

currently most of the characters are in one location. I think they will be able to wrap it up in a 2 hour special without too much travelling. It should help to keep the costs down a bit.

16. d00d says:

Don’t they have a lot to cover in just two hours? Can they do it?

• L. says:

Lana believes they can, which is more than enough for me. Truthfully, if they just wrap up the loose threads with the…

kidnapping and torture of Wolfgang, hopefully the renewed viewership will be enough to make them consider further movies or a third season.

17. Pat Soares says:

I am ecstatic!!! The 2 hour wrap up is a Godsend to those of us who are still having Sense 8 withdrawal pains. Thank you for feeling our pain and responding to our cries.

18. Curtis says:

So gr8ful… Thanks to all involved for the reprieve. I patiently w8.

19. Jill R says:

Thank all the gods (old and new)!

20. jj says:

Yes! Although I would have preferred a full season, I’m more than happy with a 2 hour wrap up to provide a proper conclusion.

21. Joe says:

VERY good news.

22. lucky3806 says:

Thank you so much. Very excited to hear the news!!

23. abby says:

I will still be sad to see it end but it not ending on a massive cliff hanger does take most of the sting out of it.

24. tvlover44 says:

this is fantastic news! and i’m hoping that the ‘you never know’ comes to pass and that there are more episodes beyond this two-hour wrap-up. (perhaps this whole cancellation/revival situation will bring much-needed publicity to the show and attract new viewers – that’s my hope, anyway!)

25. Catherine says:

This honestly made my day….so excited to know how it ends!!

26. Not a fan of the show but happy for those that watch it that you’ll get a conclusion

27. abz says:

So happy about this. A few things that I want to see happen off the top of my head:
    – Wolfie being saved
    – Wolfie and Kala finally meeting in person
    – Lito finally telling Hernando about the sensates
    – Sun bringing her brother justice.

Not sure how they can wrap everything up but I can’t wait. Maybe they can continue the story in comic form like the way they did with Buffy/Angel and some other shows.

• skyebright8 says:

Agree they’ll probably do Wolfie being saved and him meeting Kala, but Hernado finding out and Sun getting justice will probably just be inferred to happen after the movie

28. xomylifexo says:

Holy s-it that’s awesome.

29. Debra Willey says:

I saw all the uproar about the cliffhanger before I watched season 2 and have been debating ever since if I even wanted to set myself up for what was to be sure disappointment – SO GLAD this is happening. would’ve love a season 2, but this is better than nothing…..

30. aliciacctx says:

so happy and grateful to Netflix for listening to the fans, however we will probably fight for the next 3 seasons that were originally planned while continuing to promote the show, when/if netflix doesn’t. They will see how many viewers that special gets and will want to do more seasons as well

31. meatwad says:

VAN DAMME!!!!!!

32. M says:

Wow. I was just about to cancel (my renewal comes up in a few days). This is amazing news. Bless everyone who fought for this. And as Lana says in her letter: you never know what might happen. Keep watching! Keep spreading the word!

33. Tom says:

I do understand Netflix wanting to tighten things more, but I’m glad they seem to have learned that sometimes, it might be better to help get closure. I’m just glad Downward Dog didn’t have any kind of cliffhanger, because I highly doubt that anyone will end up picking up as much as I want it to happen.

• Brenda says:

I was in on Downward Dog till Martin extolled the virtues of cat butt candy and now I’m out. So out that I regret ever watching it.

34. Oh, joy! I had decided not to watch Season #2 because I hate unfinished cliff-hangers, but now I will watch it and will eagerly await the 2-hour special! This was a very, VERY good series, deserving better than it got, but it is so refreshing to see that it got FANS, lots and lots and lots of FANS, who cared enough to make their disappointment known! Thank you, everyone, for sticking together so that we all can enjoy more of our beloved series!

35. Kyle says:

This is awesome and exactly how how netflix can separate itself from “networks”. It’s fan-serviced and it can honour the fans by 2 hour wrap up “specials” of its cancelled shows that didn’t get a chance to end properly. Whereas on TV, a cancelled show is just forgotten which doesn’t give faith for people.

36. Jen says:

Wow, that’s really awesome! Great news!

37. Jenny says:

I am absolutely thrilled that Netflix has given Sense8 another shot…if we can get specials regarding each character that would be ideal, but one victory at a time <3

38. diya says:

BRILLIANT News I say!!! At least they can wrap things up.
    Was so disappointed with Netflix when they chose to cancel it. This way hopefully there will be Closure.

39. K Muck says:

Let it never be said that many small voices, when turned the same way, cannot turn the tide.

Thanks, Netflix!

Now, saddle this cluster up and let’s go save Wolfgang!

40. Matheus says:

THIS IS THE BEST NEWS EVERR

41. Ash says:

I’m so excited and grateful that this isn’t the end. Hopefully everyone that was vocal about the cancellation will stream immediately and legally to show their support. As Lana said, you never know what could happen…

42. Jerry says:

Thank you Netflix for listening to the fans and not being one of those networks that cancel shows without letting them at least reach a conclusion!

43. Thanks Netflix & Fellow Sense8 Lovers says:

I got so involved with the characters so quickly with this series. I was stunned when it got canceled. Thank you 8 million times over to Netflix for turning out to be so much more than a darn TV network. Thank you so so much to fans who signed petitions (where was that anyway? how’d I miss a chance to sign it?). I’ve got to see what happens with Wolfgang and I have got to see Sun put her brother in his place. That must happen. Not to mention seeing Whispers finally lose in a big way. I know I should probably be happy for this great reprieve, but of course I can’t help dreaming that the response to the 2-hour special be so AMAZINGLY HUGE that Netflix decides they will give us the gift about a 2-hour special every year ………… or a new series. A girl can dream, can’t she? in closing……….. YAY!

44. Anja LaPier says:

We are completely bummed that the series was canceled. But since there isn’t much hope for fighting to keep it going, we are at least happy that there will be some closure. Don’t end a series without giving the fan the closure they need!!

45. Dahn says:

Right on!!!!! That is awesome to hear we will have a chance to find out happens!!! Cancelling on that huge of a cliffhanger was asinine! So glad Netflix got t a clue!!!!!!

46. Fernanda says:

YEEESSSS thank you Netflix..

47. Lauren says:

My belief in Netflix is restored! I understood the logics of the decision considering how expensive it must have been, but I was bitter at them not letting the creators wrap it up. Ecstatic!

48. Amy J says:

Such good news. Netflix has my subscription fee locked in again.

49. e. says:

Hell yeah! It’s not the six seasons and a movie that Sense8 deserved, but its a way to at least honor the most cultural, non-binary, LGBTQ television show in history with a swan song. And after it airs, Who knows?