Nashville Recap Season 5 Episode 16

Nashville Recap: Bundle of Oy

Need to catch up? Check out the previous Nashville recap here.

Two kinda unbelievable things happen in this week’s Nashville, and I’m still scratching my head over which is the more egregious.

One is that Juliette loses her damn mind in the time it would take an egg to go from over easy to over medium. And this is no “I’m flawed but lovable” stuff. We’re talking real, possible mental issues that are of a scarier flavor than her usual neuroses and jealousies

The other is that there are Scarlett and Gunnar cosplayers? I shouldn’t be surprised — honestly, at last year’s San Diego Comic-Con, I saw someone cosplaying as Kikkoman soy sauce — but… really?

While I’m pulling my grandma sweaters and pixie wig out of storage, let’s recap what happens in “Not Ready to Make Nice.”

SCARLETT: 0 SLEAZY JOURNOS: 2 | Scarlett and Gunnar are getting gas when he tosses out the idea of just getting in the car and driving far away. She points out that she tried that once, but he stopped her — nice callback, Nashville — but he won’t let the notion go. “No more tours, no more cameras,” he muses, and I understand that the 3.5 minutes of fame you’ve had must be incredibly taxing, Gunny, but good God, you’re no Johnny Cash. Simmer, please. They’re interrupted by Access Hollywood‘s Natalie Morales — who, in this episode, is given the unenviable role of gossip pariah — when she pops up on the gas pump’s screen and starts squawking about an exclusive paparazzi photo in which Scarlett’s baby bump is on prominent display.

Nashville Recap Season 5 Episode 16I call shenanigans — Access Hollywood would not give two hoots about these two! — but both of The Exes look pained, nevertheless. And it only gets worse when they get gently mobbed (cuddlemobbed?) by some overenthusiastic, well-wishing fans at a store. “What in the sam hill is a ‘shipper, anyway?” Gunnar asks later, when they’re at home and trawling the Internet. Oh Gunny, PULL UP A CHAIR AND PREPARE TO TAKE NOTES. The entire online community suddenly seems obsessed with the pair’s relationship and the (incorrect) idea that Scarlett is carrying Gunnar’s kid. She’s sad, but he encourages her to ignore all of it and focus on the good stuff.

But then Scar accidentally overshares with a journalist during a lunch interview, and the reporter — who claims she also hooked up with Damien — infers that Scarlett’s baby isn’t Gunnar’s. Scarlett freaks and runs out, the woman publishes the story (“Trouble in Scunnarville” is the hilarious headline), and pretty soon Scarlett is crying to Deacon about the whole thing. Oh, and she found out she’s having a girl.

“I need to be the mother she deserves to have, and I don’t think I am,” Scarlett sniffles to her uncle. (This was one of two places Nashville hit me with the sneak emotional attack this week. I’ll alert you to the other when we get there.) A happily tearful Deke assures her that she’ll do great. “Just love her. The rest will follow,” he says, all the while admitting that “My ineptitude as a parent has been made painfully clear.”

Nashville Recap Season 5 Episode 16TEARS AND A TRUCE | And why might Deacon say that? Because Maddie finds out that Liv (and, kinda, Daphne) made the GIF of her on the night of the arrest, which causes her to angrily order Liv out of the house, which starts World War XIV between the sisters. There are two excellent aspects to this storyline: 1) Deacon’s evident frustration and fish-outta-water-ness when it comes to trying to bring about emotional equilibrium for two grieving adolescent girls, and 2) the scene where Maddie and Daphne apologize to each other and admit that they’re lost without Rayna around. “I just miss mom. Every day, every hour, I just want mom. And she’s not here,” Maddie says, crying. “I need you to help me figure things out, because I’m so confused.” Daphne hugs her, sobbing as she says, “I need you, too. I thought you were already gone.” Nice work here from both of the Stellas. (In case you were wondering, this was the ep’s second scene that nearly did me in.)

Deacon is pleasantly surprised when he comes home to find that the siblings are getting along again. Then they eat Chinese food and record a song together, as you do.

WARPED VIEW | I saved Juliette for last because I am still so baffled by what is happening in her storyline, and I thought maybe getting the rest of the recap out of the way first would clear my mind. Um, nope: What in the world is that girl thinking? First, she tries to railroad Hallie into releasing a single that, while a great song, is super poppy and not at all the roots music that reeled Deacon and Avery in last week at The Bluebird. Deacon says as much during a meeting, and when Avery backs him up (instead of an indignant Juliette), it seems to set more bad stuff in motion.

Pretty soon, Juliette is looking askance at every friendly interaction between Hallie (who’s been dumped by George, the Married Loser ™) and Avery. She catalogues every casual touch and knowing laugh. She watches All About Eve. And when she can’t contain the crazy anymore, she lashes out at Hallie just after the newbie artist records a different, more authentic-sounding demo at the studio.

“You’re not fooling anyone with your little Miss Innocent routine,” the blonde sneers. Avery is horrified as an angry Hallie leaves. “I’m literally worried about you at this moment,” he tells his wife. Dude, get in line.

Does Juliette actually believe that Hallie is an opportunistic famewhore who used Ju’s plane crash to her advantage? And if so, why did all of this manifest in this episode? I’m so confused.

Do you have any idea what’s going on in Juliette’s pretty little head? Were you not that sad when Liv turned down Daphne and Maddie’s offer to come back to the house? And would you ever dress up as The Exes for fun? Sound off in the comments!

1. april-ann says:

Scarlett has become so annoying she has got to go. Although I’d settle for them just making the Scarlett pregnancy storyline go away. The sooner the better, please. I’ve purposely missed the last two episodes before this because of it and right now I’m prepared to miss a whole lot more. Enough of cray-cray Juju. Seriously? Is this the best they can do with her? Been there done that. But….even before Ju walked into that recording studio the infatuation (love?) gazing between Avery and Hallie was kind of impossible to miss. Maybe not so crazy after all. Whence came the newbie news, and I still have yet to see either, tuned in halfway through this ep tonight, I thought that could signal the beginning of the end of Maddie and Daphne. And that was okay with me…until tonight. The Stellas (The Stellars?) absolutely must stay. They hit it out of the park and reminded me that they and Deac are the core family and that cannot be messed with.

2. Suzy says:

Juliette is crazy. Have you not been watching.? Always.

• Carrie Obermeyer says:

I think she’s bipolar. The control freak behavior and mood swings are suggestive of this diagnosis, as is substance abuse.

3. Red Snapper says:

I’m also thoroughly confused about the Juliet story. I didn’t notice any looks between Avery and Hallie but I did just mostly listen to it. I can see Avery becoming a little infatuated with someone who he shares a musical connection with. Isn’t that what happened with him and Juliet? I can’t remember if it happened with anyone else. Scarlet just keeps getting more annoying. I really like her the first couple of seasons and have always wanted her and Gunner together but at this point he deserves better. I’m not a fan of the baby daddy story line with them. Gunner already had a similar story line. If Juliet keeps going down the crazy road then her and Scarlet will be the most annoying characters on the show. Maddie and Daphne have become much more bearable this season, especially Maddie who I used to loathe.

• Ann says:

Yes. Avery and Scarlett. Avery and Scarlett’s best friend Zoey (who has been MIA since season 2), Avery and that country girl whose name I can’t remember…she was abused by her husband and played by Laura Bentanti.

• Ann says:

OH wait…it was Gunnar and Zoey…not Avery.

• Juke says:

Laura Benanti’s character (Sadie) was getting warmer with Luke Wheeler, not Avery, when she left. I do seem to recall Juliette also being jealous when Sadie worked with Avery, but there were no sparks or romantic interest there as far as I could tell.

4. Carol says:

This episode really brought it home to me just how much I miss Rayna’s character. Everything about this show has become very dark. Deacon has become this very sad, “old”, lost man. Juliette is back to her mean, crazy self. Scarlett, who I used like, is getting on my nerves. Don’t really like her together with Gunnar anymore. And Maddie is just plain irritating. Sorry to say, but not sure if I can keep watching this train wreck.

• kat bird says:

I don’t think it is the absence of Rayna, it went downhill straight away on CMT. Out with the old characters that worked, too much Maddy, new and uninteresting characters, too few members of the cast in each episode. Little integration with cast members and when that happens itcsems false, like when they all had dinner together or all of them at label meetings

5. Ann says:

Have mixed feelings about this one…actually for once I enjoyed the girls (minus Liv she really had to go) and the scenes with Deacon struggling to parent these two teenagers whilst pushing down his own grief were very touching.

I’m so over Scarlett I seem to have found a super power that enables me to tune out whenever she is on screen. Thank goodness for that. Poor Gunnar just RUN please. And don’t ever look back.

Don’t know where to start with Juliette & Avery. It was wonderful to see them get so much screentime for once. Jonathan is such a great actor – the expressions he makes are always so in tune with what’s happening. He’s awesome . But what the heck with Juliette ?!! I mean wow where did that come from. I’m clueless here.

6. steven says:

Whatever happened to Bridgit Mendler’s character? Wasn’t she supposed to have a recurring role? She was just in one episode.

7. I still love the show, but I want to hear Juliette sing more and take some chill out pills. glad that homeless girl moved out. Keep her out of the show. She is evil. I feel bad for Gunnar. He i too good for Scarlett. Deacon needs a new love interest.

8. Carol C says:

I fell asleep and missed this episode. Was hoping there’d be lots of comments to add more details. Thanks, Kimberly, for your recap.

9. Carol C says:

Oops, didn’t scroll down far enough. I see them now. THX all.

10. Every week Juliette seems to get worse! Her mental state reminds me of earlier where she drank and did drugs to get through her life. Is she bipolar or just psychotic? Hopefully she will get help! Love the Stellas! I am so glad they are getting great storylines.

11. kat bird says:

Since when did the exes get so famous. I feel like l missed a series. Really not enjoying any Maddy storylines.

12. Mia says:

Be Gone Liv.

I am hoping that dreadful storyline is now dropped. It was taking way too much time away from the others that I love. Too much teen nonsense. If I remember correctly the rebellious storyline with Madeie over at ABC was almost intolerable.

Romance is looming for Deacon. Hence the poster of that singer songwriter he connected with. I hope they wait an appropriate time frame before giving him a romantic storyline. Although truth Be told, anyone other than Rayna will be hard. Frowny sad face.

PS liked that scene with Bucky and Maddie. It seemed very real. I hope they keep him around. It wouldn’t seem authentic for him to ditch the girls. He’s family to them.

• Carol says:

Agree abt trying to fill Rayna’s shoes. Not going to be easy. And I am sure the girls won’t be too accepting of that.

• Paula Stiles says:

There needs to be less of the kids, period. And what is up with Juliette going all bunny boiler on Hallie (I like Hallie, show; please don’t deep-six her for this nonsense)? Plus, can Scarlett just lose that baby, already, because I can’t even. She’s so obnoxious these days.

Can we all just light black candles and wish Liv into the show’s cornfield? There’s a character who never needs to reappear.

13. George says:

I really don’t like where the writers are taking this or where it has been. They need to rethink their strategy and start over with a new and different story line. If they don’t, I think this will be last season.

• Carol says:

It has been renewed for another season but I can’t imagine where they are going to go with this show. It has really lost its way.

14. Maheen Mohammed says:

A few things about this episode really bothered me:
    1. The entire gif thing was some serious cyber bullying, but was dealt with as of it were some minor sibling fight. I thought it wasn’t addressed seriously enough.
    2. Along the same lines – it was quite obvious that Daphne regretted posting the gifs as soon as she had done it and saw the impact it had on Maddie – but it didn’t seem to change her feelings towards Liv, who continued to badmouth Maddie. This did not seem realistic to me. My sister and I fought a lot growing up, but if anybody else said anything about her, I was super protective. For two sisters who love each other this much, I found it shocking and not believable that Daphne was totally okay with a girl who not only did something so awful to her sister, but never apologized and continued to badmouth and be rude to her. Why on earth would she want her back at the house?!

15. Nancy says:

The stories have gone so far off course, I am barely hangin’ in each week. They should have more MUSIC! I’m not interested in the teen drama, either. Does anyone else think it’s weird that Hallie was having an affair with a married guy when she seemed so authentic in her faith in the beginning?

• Carol says:

The Hallie/married boyfriend storyline is ridiculous and so is the homeless girl coming to live with with Daphne storyline. Same thing with 24 year old bipolar Clay with 17 year old Maddie. There also appears the possibility that Deacon will be getting romantically involved with Jessie which seems rather soon after Rayna’s passing. I think the writers are in a quandry now that Rayna’s gone. I’m really surprised that it has been renewed for another year. It’s just not the same show it once was.

• J-L says:

Ha ha, so true about religious Hallie and the married boyfriend!

Is anyone else completely lost with what the new show runners are doing with Scarlett and Gunner? What happened to the dramatic “I love you storyline”?? Scarlet was madly in love with Gunner and then this annoying Damien came along. It’s like the new show runner’s just ignored the previous episodes.
        it’s losing me :(

16. Katherine A Johnson says:

Obviously they’re going to make Daphne gay. Led astray by the evil homeless sociopath. The Charlotte/Gunnar storyline is completely tedious and a waste of two very talented actors, doing their best with the horrible writing for their characters. I always like Charlotte better away from Gunner. Juliette, WTF??? How many times can this woman go off the rails. This is just bizarre and makes me wonder if she’d either got a brain tumor or they’re going to do a storyline on borderline personality disorder. She certainly is a textbook case.