'Pretty Little Liars' Finale Week
Pretty Little Liars Series Finale

Pretty Little Liars: A.D. Is Revealed in Series Finale — Did You Guess Right?

A.D. may have driven off into the sunset on last week’s Pretty Little Liars, but they were back in full force for Tuesday’s series finale — and just in time to reveal their true identity!

POST MORTEMPretty Little Liars Boss Defends Killing [Spoiler], Answers All of Our Burning Questions From the Series Finale

That’s right, folks, we no longer have to refer to A.D. by a gender-neutral pronoun. We finally know with exact certainty that A.D. — the latest masked monster to terrorize the good-ish people of Rosewood, Penn. — is none other than Spencer’s evil twin, Alex Drake!

The big reveal went down in the middle of the two-hour series finale, following Mary Drake’s escape from prison. (Nice going, Rosewood PD!) Spencer awoke in a mysterious bunker, where she was confronted by — wait for it — Alex Drake, who had no idea about her relatives in Rosewood until Wren met her at a bar in London.

And Alex has been in Rosewood ever since, assuming Spencer’s identity on multiple occasions — including the last time she slept with Toby after Yvonne’s death. (For what it’s worth, I did think it was a little suspicious for Spencer to show such little respect for the dead.)

Were you totally blindsided by A.D.’s reveal, or did you see “Alex” coming all along? Grade the series finale, then drop a comment with your thoughts below.

1. Ben says:

They officially ruined this show.

2. neetztalks says:

this was 100000% what i had expected and so far alex drake is legendary, psycho and awesome.

3. fdssite1 says:

Predictable so mad

4. Totally blindsided. Never expected that

5. Beckers05 says:

Awful episode!!! So upset.

6. Serious B.S. very disappointed

7. Paul says:

Couldn’t have been a bigger let down. Good thing there were other enjoyable parts. Total screw up on AD

8. BrightLight says:

You mean to me that they could build a fake houses, but couldn’t afford to give poor Troian a dialect coach? Unless they were wanting her to sound like a horrible Eliza Doolittle because they succeeded in that.

9. Cindy says:

I’m so done the finale the ending really a spin off !

10. i liked it. So much better than that Charlotte A mess reveal. I knew they would do a Spencer twin..it was obvious in those last 10 episodes, when everything was going around Spencer’s family. Troian was AMAZING as always. I didn’t liked the accent much..but oh well..Great finale. I’m gonna miss this craziness. It was a CrAzy ride for sure!

11. Fernanda says:

Marlene King you really disappointed me as showrunner.. not even a last surprise ending.. I hate the ridiculous new disappearing of a girl (Addison) with new liars.. if I was the writer of the last scene I would show up the new A, put his or her face in front of the camera and give us a shhhh like the opening titles

12. Annika Loci says:

Even though I hate the twincer direction, and wish they had considered a different direction, YES I DID GUESS that we’d been watching her twin for the season and spencer was either locked away or just none the wiser.
    When I brought this suggestion up with other big pll bloggers online they all responded negatively with –
    nah that would mean they wasted all work on developing Spencer’s character; or
    That just seems a bit to far or strange

I’m glad that they did “push the envelope” and do something shocking like that. Makes me like the twin direction a little.

13. Lynn says:

I didn’t like the ending. Since the beginning it was obvious that Lucas would probably be the last A. Then he appears on the show being suspicious. AD even had the 2nd comic and drew a headstone. So I figured someone would die. If AD’s motivation was to find Charlotte’s killer than why didn’t she kill Mona if Mona actually did it. They never explained Noel Khan’s part in the whole thing. Also AD appeared to be a guy in the dollhouse. I think the whole Spencer twin reveal was ridiculous. I think Marlene was initially going to have Lucas as AD, but a lot of her fan’s kept wanting AD to be Spencer’s twin. So she went with what the fans wanted.

• Sanaz says:

Miss Aria You Are a Killer Not Ezra’s Wife … do you remember when Mona was in Radley and saying this: If you put the first letters together you will get Maya knew … Seriously, Maya who was killed at the dnd if season 2 was forgotten to be explained … They started a show and made two many puzzles and at the end threw the table in the fear ogf getting checkmate.

14. Lila says:

Who was the father of Ali’s babies?

• May says:

It was Wren. Alex was holding the baby and talking about how she had her fathers eyes and then she went “I always knew Wren would make beautiful babies.”

• suzi says:

Wren, I think.
      My question… did Alex have the tech savvy to do everything that was done?

15. kacey says:

I totally guessed spencer had a twin (like most people did) but I thought this was one of the best series finales i’ve ever seen!

16. Robin says:

I can’t believe people are disappointed! The only thing I didn’t care for was the subplot with the young girls, the high school girls…I could have done without that part. Everything else was pretty amazing. We got a lot of answers tonight!

17. parstl says:

ok…PLL is now approaching the Gilmore Girls territory for over saturation on tv line.

18. millersam19 says:

I don’t understand the people saying they predicted this or are disappointed? Like the reveal has to at least make some sense, they can’t just take a random name out of the hat and make A.D. Aria’s brother or something. And in terms of predicting it, that’s a given. There’s been a theory about almost every possible person on this show being A/A.D. which means someone out there has guessed everyone already.

Really not sure what some fans were expecting from the finale. They revealed A.D., explained A.D., and gave the characters happy endings. I’m satisfied with it.

• Remy says:

Well, I knew its gonna be Spencer’s twin (as many fans did). I am still disappointed, cuz i felt there were lots of missing links and unanswered questions, they rushed all the answers and many of the answers didn’t make any sense.

• Remy says:

And, i really wanted A.D to be involved from the beginning of the show. Not someone who came at the end, who didn’t even know about their sister and family and lived in a different country!

• Lirpa Snevets says:

I also wanted AD to have some great reason for torturing these girls to the extent they were tortured physically and mentally. I mean come on…holding a girl down and inseminating her with someone else eggs AND sperm?? That’s hardcore. But, the stupid ass reason was because Alex was deprived a good life like Spencer got. Ok, that’s Spencer’s fault, how? That deserves the relentless torture, how? And lastly, if she was looking for Charlotte’s killer, why were all the girls tortured and not Mona who was the one who did kill her? Then of course there’s the million unanswered questions I won’t even touch. MK does things so half asses and so late minute! The amazing potential this show had was a huge letdown.

19. XOXO says:

I was dissapointed with who AD was, but LOVED the end when Mona has Alex & Mary trapped now.
    Love that Mona!

• Lirpa Snevets says:

Mona is off the hook!!! Amazing actress and her character was awesome. She really held a big part of the show but doesn’t get the credit she deserves. She’s not even included in any of the interviews. I think she definitely deserves an award for her acting! I’m going to miss her so much!

20. Robin says:

I love PPL and I had my suspicions that it was Spencer’s evil twin..Her coldness and her hair, (bangs) made me ? Who she really was… Congratulations PPL , the show was amazing and ended perfectly…I sure will miss such a fine cast…Thank you so much…Best wishes in your next endeavours…

21. Red Snapper says:

I honestly don’t get all the negative reactions to the finale. I really loved it and this is from someone who found the final season, or at least 7B, to be pretty disappointing and the series overall to be pretty uneven. I figured that A.D was Spencer’s twin but just because something is predictable doesn’t mean it’s bad. Maybe it’s because I did not have high hopes for the finale? They didn’t answer everything but I am satisfied by what they did and I didn’t want it to end.

22. Spiked-Philly says:

I was really hoping it would end with some sort of betrayal. It would have fit the “liars” theme so much better had it been one of the main girls. Even Toby, Caleb or Ezra would have been better than a twin that was just introduced!

• Billie says:

Gold star for you. Same thoughts exactly.

• Lirpa Snevets says:

Double gold star. :)
        I had secret hopes all along that in the end it would be someone that would blow our minds! If it was like one of the liars, Toby, Ezra or Caleb, it would have been crazy! I remember the Ezra reveal (but turned out to be the book). For those few spilt moments, I was shocked! Then when we found out about Toby… surprised again! Remember him in Spencer’s dark kitchen with the black hoodie on? Those we’re the good ole days…

• The Toby reveal remains one of the shocking moments on the show because it felted so real..but yeah..Marlene would never make one of the girls A..she said it woud’ve destroyed the main theme of the show that is about the girls friendship and she is right..

23. Rikke says:

I really wanted A.D to be one of the liars. Why do they always have to make the villain someone we haven’t even really met before?

• Lirpa Snevets says:

Agreed. Charolette was in like 13 episodes and was A….Sara Harvey in less episodes than Charlotte and was 2 of the biggest mystery people! (Red coat and Black veil). THAT angered me SO much! I was hoping for a reveal that tied in from the beginning or at least since season 2 or 3. Something that once we knew who AD was, we could go back and see all the cool clues. Yes, you can see Twincer clues for the past 10 episodes but I’m talking about going back to Season 2 or 3 and finding new things along the way. Kind of like the movie, “The sixth sense.” Once you know the ending, it’s fun to go back and rewatch it. Oh well. Lesson learned.

24. Lynda says:

The ending was totally different than what I was expecting. No I did not see it coming the evil twin thing. That is what has always kept me watching the show, all the twist and mysteries and of course all the characters. I am so going to miss my Tuesday night PLL it has been an Awesome journey. My daughter got me started watching this show I have watched and rewatched all episodes. Luv PLL!

25. Kellie says:

Biggest let down by far. So many twists & plots turns during 7 seasons & we get an “evil twin”. The series 3 finale was much more worthy.

26. Karen says:

I actually would have preferred it to be Melissa, it would have been less far fetched–which also sounds ridiculous considering how unrealistic the show is…

27. Ingmar says:

Called it. Most obvious suspect imo. The plot around her was written well (imo) and Troian’s acting was bad-ass. Loved the Spencer on Spencer scenes.

28. Sarah says:

If I wouldn’t have cheated at looked on the internet to look up pll theories, I would’ve been somewhat surprised. What sealed the deal for me was that airport scene with wren and Ezra right after she was with Toby in bed. They should’ve made one person A for the entire show and or ended it before the time jump I fee

29. ana says:

Omg guys I just need to share my discovery with you I’m not sure if they plan it as part of the show secret or its causality but AD 20 PILL is a drug give to people with ADHD disorder and to me seems like Charlotte could be taking this kind of drug in Radly. LOL well done pretty little liars

30. Lirpa Snevets says:

I wish there could be a PLL re-do. The fan theories were by FAR better than the actual show! I’m so happy I had those theories to read along the way…

31. Amara says:

I DID NOT SEE THAT COMING AT ALL! I HAD A THEORY THAT IT WAS NICOLE!

32. Hope Huff says:

Tottally p’d!!! I was happier with the thought of “A” being Mona, I’ve wasted years on this!!!!!

33. allie says:

I don’t want t to end…….
    Y????

34. chantelle says:

It was good with the twist Spencer evil twin sister that was awesome didn’t really think about untill they said mary was her mum and they were a hints but I was still not sure but the crap apart is that they left it on a cliff hanger plus there’s still parts missing they need more seasons and it would be nice if some how Emily dad comes as a ghost or something when Emily takes her mum out for her birthday dinner and they were having a good time Emily dad could be like smiling glad that they are both happy and letting there hair down that would be sweet and nice

35. Mel says:

Liked the reveal, little predictable but still. The English accent was actually good. I’m English and she was going for a cockney accent… not typical one you would usually hear but pretty good. Not everyone over the pond sounds like Downton Abbey.