'Pretty Little Liars' Finale Week
Pretty Little Liars Best Worst Couples

Pretty Little Liars: 20 Couples Ranked From Grossest to Greatest

If there’s one thing Pretty Little Liars enjoys serving up more than red herrings, it’s problematic pairings.

The fact is, even the Freeform drama’s most beloved pairings have had to weather more scandals and hardships than the average real-life relationship could ever survive — you know, unless teacher-student hookups, forced inseminations and mental asylum-based affairs are more common than I give them credit for.

With Pretty Little Liars‘ series finale now just hours away (it all goes down tonight at 8/7c!), TVLine is taking one last look at 20 of Rosewood’s most memorable couples — for better or worse — and putting them all under our Giant Magnifying Glass of Scrutiny™.

(Disclaimer: We went with what we consider to be 20 of the most relevant couples in PLL history. There’s always a chance we left out some of your favorites, and for that, we have a comments section.)

Browse our gallery of Rosewood couples, ranked from grosses to greatest — you can click here for direct access — then drop a comment with your own best and worst pairings below.

1. Gift says:

Ezra and Aria will always be my best couple in PLL. Followed by Spenser and Toby. I will miss seeing you guys. Love u all.

2. Kar says:

Hanah and Caleb really? They’re great, but forever now tainted because he had a relationship with Spencer which just broke BFF code and was gross.

3. Chiara says:

Spencer/Wren were my favourites, followed by Spencer/Caleb and Hanna/Caleb (I know, it’s strange I love both)

• makparis says:

It’s not strange, both couples worked. I’d have been just as happy with Spencer and Caleb riding off into the sunset with one another. I just didn’t believe it was going to happen. I’ve always cheered for Caleb and Hanna, so I suppose I still am.

• Cas says:

This! I loved Spencer and wren. I do like Toby and her though. But I really enjoyed Spencer and Caleb. They had great chemistry.

• captainoats says:

It always seemed like Spencer & Caleb were a better match, intellectually, than Caleb & Hanna or for sure Spencer & Toby. REALLY don’t believe in S&T. I’m so sad it didn’t work out w/ detective elevator.

4. darkn3ss says:

I started this show because I wanted to see what the series was going to do about ARIA AND EZRA I just love them in the boo for some weird reason. So my favorite couple must be them.

5. Jamie says:

Ah Emily and Maya ❤️❤️❤️. Their end really was so tragic.

6. makparis says:

Aria and Ezra is just wrong, so very, very wrong.

I can’t stand Allison and she doesn’t deserve Emily.

Spencer and Toby are good together, but I’d like to see them both be able to move on from the shackles of Rosewood and that history and find happiness elsewhere.

I think the thing that makes me love Hanna and Caleb is that they always come back to each other. Although I liked Caleb and Spencer as a couple, even then you knew that Hanna and Caleb would find their way back. He can move to Ravenswood and date a ghost, she can be engaged to another guy, he can date one of her best friends, she can leave him for her job and yet their love endures.

Ultimately though, if all these couples end up together in the end, it will be the most unbelievable thing that PLL has tried to get past its viewers in a long line of ridiculous things.

• mercedes says:

‘Alison doesn’t deserve Emily” have you been blind to her character development or are you stuck on season 1 mean girl ali?

7. Correction. It was not Archer that took Ali in to be inseminated. She said so.

8. Brooke says:

Emaya!!! Emily and Maya were my favorite couple—such a tragic ending for that couple–none of Emily’s other relationships compared IMO

9. I’ve always said I’ve watched this show (my favorite of all time) for the mystery, not the romances. But PLL does do romance well, despite its ickier examples.

10. Beckers05 says:

I forgot about Ashley and Jason! That was a good one.
    I think I’m the only one who did not like Spencer and Caleb together.
    And hate away, but Ezra and Aria have been and always will be my favorite couple!

11. Cate says:

Can’t get over the creepy teacher/ student origin to Aria and Ezra. If Lucy Hale looked 16 rather than 20something when the series started, the creepiness would have been more evident.

I’m a Paily fan myself. Was Paige’s one slightly annoyed and not geneuinly homicidal dunking worse than Alison’s years of bullying?

12. Sara says:

The order of this list is all screwed up.

Peter and Veronica and Ella and Byron are worse than Alison and Ezra and Aria and Ezra or Emily and Paige? Yeah, those first two are not great, but at least they’re adults! How are they somehow worse than a child predator and his victims? How are they worse than TRYING TO MURDER SOMEONE? How are Aria and Noel or Aria and Jason worse than Aria and Ezra? How are Spencer and Caleb or Ashley and Jason or Mona and Mike or Noel worse than Aria and Ezra? How are most of the couples on this list worse than Aria and Ezra? How are so many worse than Emily and Paige? Why are Charlotte and Jason the absolute worst? Obviously it’s bad but to me it’s not as bad as abusing an underage child or attempting to murder someone. And why are Hanna and Caleb the best after the Spencer/Caleb disaster (which, again, isn’t the worst thing by far on this list, but it still isn’t good)? Emily and Maya are really the only relationship here that isn’t messed up in some way.

None of this makes any sense!

13. Jec says:

Spencer and Toby are the best couple. Also Aria should end up with Jason.

14. mercedes says:

this list is all kinds of wrong. emaya before emison? why tf wasn’t paily at the bottom with Jason & charlotte? calling ezria unconventional? I don’t call a grown man in a relationship with a 16 year old girl unconventional I call it ILLEGAL. too much wrong with this list.

15. ChrisGa says:

Spencer and Caleb remains the one non-endgame couple that so could’ve been endgame; both of their pairings with their other significant others (Toby and Hanna, respectively) are a bit overrated in my opinion (though still better than Ezria, who should be number 20 on this list).

16. captainoats says:

Ok, it’s bad enough that everyone involved with this show, and like, 1/2 the fans, pretend that Aria and Ezra are anything other than awful (and illegal. And gross. And Ezra is the worst.) but for TVline to romanticize it? Come on! You guys know better than that. I thought adults were at the wheel here.