Power Premiere Recap Season 4

Power Season 4 Premiere Recap: Orange Is the New Whack

Need to catch up? Check out the previous Power recap

When he’s done coughing up blood and writhing in agony, Ghost may appreciate the irony at work in Power‘s Season 4 premiere.

After all, the drug kingpin murders with impunity, then gets thrown behind bars for the one killing he didn’t commit? It’s poetic. It’s a comeuppance. It’s… kind of an ish-show for pretty much all the characters we’ve come to know over the past three seasons.

And how, exactly, does James St. Patrick fare once he dons the jumpsuit? What about Tasha? Tommy? Angela? Find out as we recap “When I Get Out.”

LOCKED UP | Though Tasha’s frantically trying to contact her husband, trying to let him know about the ransom text she got regarding Tariq, Ghost uses his only phone call to talk to his lawyer, Joe Proctor. “Keep your mouth and sphincter shut,” Proctor advises, then loops Tasha in on everything that’s happened. When Proctor goes to the jail, Ghost maintains his innocence, but the lawyer points out that there’s some DNA evidence they’ll have to contend with. That’s when Ghost admits to being in the apartment in his ill-fated attempt to find Greg’s button recording.

“I need my kids to know I didn’t do this,” Ghost asserts, but Proctor says their more immediate concern is getting him out on bail. Until then, he advises, Ghost needs to act like the upstanding businessman he wants everyone to think he is. You’re James St. Patrick, he says, “and you wouldn’t know what to do with a gun if it fell in your lap.”

OH, YOU FANCY NOW? | Off a tip from Dre, Kanan lets Tariq go, playing off the whole thing as though the kid fell asleep and they “joked” with Tasha about the ransom. He gives the teen a burner phone and says he can’t say anything about who he’s really been hanging out with, so when Dre brings the boy home, Tariq lies and says he was with some friends. Tommy knows something’s up, and he suspects Dre is lying about how he found ‘Riq, but there are bigger problems at hand.

Meanwhile, Dre thinks he’s hot stuff, so he offers to cut Kanan in on Ghost’s business at the club, so now he’s secretly delivering $45,000 a week to Kanan, Jukebox and that crew. Because that’s going to end well.

BACK TO LIFE, BACK TO REALITY | Meanwhile, Tommy visits an undisclosed location and tells LaKeisha (!), who is very much alive, that Milan is no longer a problem and she can go home. She thanks him for keeping her safe, and he reminds her that Tasha can’t know that he hid her. Raise your hand if you kinda thought Tommy killed her…?

Later, during a meeting with everyone, Tommy brushes off concerns about Ghost’s legal woes and tells everyone that Milan is gone and he’s the new connect. Julio, by the way, is now distro (much to Dre’s dismay). Other than that, “It’s business as usual,” he reassures the crew.

TASHA IN TURMOIL | Tasha holds it together while the Feds — including a sad and unmoored Angela — search her apartment, even managing to come up with a couple of snarky barbs while facing down her husband’s former mistress. When Angela notes that Ghost was sleeping in the office, and not in Tasha’s bed, Mrs. St. Patrick shoots back, “”I was worried he might transfer bed bugs from your place.” (Ha.)

Power Premiere Recap Season 4 But Tasha’s real problems start when Proctor advises her to pull together $2 million in clean money so they can bail Ghost out of jail. “Bags of untraceable cash won’t cut it,” he says. “”How much do you know about us?” she replies, eyes narrowed. (Ha again!) But in her search, Tasha realizes that Ghost already sold all their stock and emptied anything of value from their safe-deposit box. At this moment, I’d say Ghost is probably lucky he’s nowhere near his spitting-mad bride.

But in the end, it doesn’t matter anyway: A sharp new Eastern District Assistant U.S. Attorny named John Mak takes over prosecution duties, and he convinces the judge to deny Ghost bail. “You can’t think I did this,” Ghost says to Angie on his way out of the courtroom. “You’re right, Jamie. I know you did it,” she replies, deadpan.

Once he’s back at the jail, two guards take Ghost to a secluded section and give him a welcome home gift: a swift, brutal beating with their billy clubs.

Now it’s your turn. What did you think of the episode? Grade the premiere via the poll below, then elaborate in the comments!

1. Rocky says:

Pretty good episode, I suspect Tommy and Keisha will soon be hooking up. Jamie’s arrest should be the nail in the coffin for him and Angela. Sandavol should feel guilty about killing Greg and it’s probably eating away at him how low he sunk.

2. George says:

Wow seeing Charlie Murphy obvisouly sick and a ghost of his formal self before that terrible sickness got him was so sad. Such a shame. I barely recognized him as the prison guard. R.I.P

• tango says:

Don’t beat Ghost to many times in jail though. We can’t take too much of that. Plus we need him out sooner rather than later in this season. We need Angela to eat some serious crow too! It’s so obvious she don’t know her men very well… But this episode was excellent! Oh and we got enough kids going cra-cra so I hope you can show how kids can get back on track when exposed to a bad situation. That really may help our society! Real Talk!!!

3. sladewilson says:

Oh he might wanna be James St. Patrick, but it’s Ghost that’s gonna have to take care of biz. Dre – you’re done. Tommy about to get bout it on everybody. And everyone, esp. Angela should be shook around Tasha. I don’t even want to know how she gonna go HAM on everybody esp. Tariq and Kanan…. This season is gonna be lit….

4. SouthernFriedSushi says:

“They gotta go” (updated kill-off list)

1. Tariq… And Still
    2. Angela
    3. Dre (There can’t be 2 characters that act like Ghost)
    4. Sandavol
    5. LaKeisha

• Tisha says:

Why Keisha? Tariq? Now I definitely agree with the others…

• SouthernFriedSushi says:

Tariq is Sean Jr. He still hasn’t caught on to the life. Maybe his character grows this season, but he makes dumb decisions. It’s funny to watch. I always thought he’d get caught by a stray or something

Keisha isn’t annoying, but she’s minimal. She wouldn’t be missed too much. I feel she has more of a role than tariq, but if Tommy didn’t actually hide get, nobody would’ve missed her.

5. Tisha says:

I was looking for more… I can’t waut til Angela gets hers.

6. Leslie Harris says:

O I can’t wait till Tommy find out Dre lied cuz OMG I wouldn’t want 2 be on his shoes that death going to epic

7. PJ says:

I wanted more as the first episode ended. I LOVE me some “Power”!

8. Leslie Campos says:

Wow, I liked this series
    The 4 season in the mother.
    Very good,
    I like me really
    The best.

9. Armand says:

Tariq gone end up killing kanaan. Ghost aint getting out

10. Val Scott says:

Great foundation in the setting up the 4th Season of Power. I’m re-watching it due to being distracted seeing Charlie Murphy in his weaken condition (RIP). My prediction for the season, which is off to a roaring start, James St. Patrick aka Ghost will probably don the orange jumpsuit for a couple of more episodes. Hoping for a physical beat-down from Tasha to Angela (in that Dynasty Alexis-vs-Crystal fight back in the day). I want Sandavol gone in the worst way and for him to get got. And yes, if even though Curtis (50 Cent) Jackson’s Kanan character is one of the main producers, I like to see him and Tommy fight to the death (I believe that might happen toward the end of the season)….

11. Lovely says:

I have a feeling Tommy and Keisha are going to be love interests. Keisha feels as though she owes Tommy for saving her life, plus with all that is going on it’s going to push them together even more. Keisha won’t be envying Tasha because she and Tasha will be trading places like Tommy and Ghost. Keisha and Tommy will be at the top of the food chain. Proctor is the one to watch, he may have lost round one in the court room but he will make a strong come back. Dre is soooooo in a bad spot with Tommy, Kanan, Jukebox, Tasha, Julio and eventually Ghost! Just the thought of him being caught between Tommy and Kanan is just scary! Dre is not loyal and is going back on his word, lying, and robbing Ghost blind! I feel Julio will flip on Ghost. Julio may be working with the Koreans after he bought Susie with him to Truth. The Asian prosecutor is going to be way worst and more fine tooth combing the case riding Angela’s back than MJ. MJ said to Angela last season when she concluded her findings of the case after Greg was found dead “Girl good luck, your going to need it”! Angela sure does need good luck after Saks said to her she was intimate with the defendant and the victim and that it’s a conflict of interest for her to be on the case. Wow! Her professional credibility is out the window. I do feel as though Angela felt she jumped the gun on arresting Ghost after her disrespectful busy body self found out Ghost was back home but not with Tasha and he was camping out on the couch! Angela is so wrong on so many levels. Sandoval is is not in the clear, his DNA is also on Greg and he picked up the wrong beer bottle after he shot Greg. Sandoval tried to tell Greg to pin everything on Angela but Greg said no. Sandoval may try to pin the Lobos deal and everything else on Angela now if the FBI can’t get anywhere with Ghost (enough evidence to link him to a crime he did not commit). Think about it, 1. Angela had a key to Greg’s apartment, 2. she did her own forensics after all the investigators left the crime scene (which would be questionable because no one else was there to valadate her getting the finger prints off the window, plus we all know what happened with the 1/2 sketch is Nomar provided), 3. she has been dubbed a liar in the workplace jumping fences with the bad and good (no good credibility), 4. Sandoval did not dispose of the gun, he may plant it on her because she knows too much, 5. the FBI is only investigating James St Patrick not Ghost , and 6. Angela will eventually look like the jealous, filled with ire, malicious intent to get back at Ghost for going back home (she made her presence known on several occasions… his business, his marital home, expunging Tariq’s record). Angela maybe the one going down.

• M Bing.. says:

Good point didn’t thing of some of the things you brought up. Ghost’s DNA isn’t there it sandovals.

• Sky says:

You really break it down it’s a very well made series and they could argue the DNA is from when he pulled James st.patrick over and roughed him up. This season is crazy!!! Angela is wrong and she just stirred a hornets nest and I’d hate to be her when Tasha comes across her without cops.

12. M Bing.. says:

The episode was good. Truth is stuff like that do not happen in a federal holding. There are no spots in the jail that does not have cameras. Its not Rikers Island!! Ghost committed a federal crime and would be treated better in holding. The guard played by Eddie Murphys brother is not believable. Oh the whole episode with the kid is silly. How can he be that dumb!!! Hoping the next 9 episodes get better. To a man if i am Ghost Angela is dead to me and Tasha deserves my loyalty, cause he dodged her..

• LITA says:

Though Ghost is not guilty of killing Greg, he’s getting what he deserves, his decisions in fooling up with Angela got him where he is and can some please off her already sheeessshh!

• Kita says:

Tariq was a sheltered kid. Despite his fathers way of living, he never was exposed to it. He went to private school and lived a normal life. It’s not hard to trick him. A person that’s street smart like kanan is could easily manipulate a kid like Tariq.

13. Sam Sanders says:

I think 50 should give me a cam shot being where from the same hood.It would push your rating through the roof..

14. Nick Hayden says:

here can i watch power if i dont have starz

15. tango says:

16. Dee says:

Dre is not as smart as I pegged him to be, and he’s making moves out of clear desperation. One lie leads to another, meanwhile, Riq is dealing with that arrogance and ignorance, which affects all black youths in America. We hate our fathers when they are there for us. We hate them when they are absent from our lives. Lala (Keisha) is looking good BTW. Tommy is caught up in a hot mess too. He and Ghost go from dealing with a well dressed homicidal gay man, to (possibly) cannibalistic eastern europeans that are more ruthless and well trained. Maybe Tasha and Tommy will eventually see, & understand Ghost’s vision of getting out the game if they survive this nightmare. Ghost is an enigma! Angela is not even that hot, but I understand why he’s feeling her. Back in the day, my boy BBop told me to never backtrack. Makes perfect sense.

17. win says:

its so good to have Power Back. I think Angela has done a great Job in providing us with d twisted villain we need. But I know how d love story goes, cos Jaime would always Love Angela,no matter what. Angela is feeling used nd stupid, so she acts out to Prove a point. I love Keisha for her loyalty ..buh again; in real life, Keisha keeps being loyal cos dats all she knows,Jaime keeps being a Badass, cos he is trying to give his dreams a chance nd d love story continues. I love the characters, their wardrobes and their style.

18. Kita says:

Remember when kanan came home from jail, and Shawn brought him to ghost house. Didn’t Tariq meet him?I can’t really remember but I thought he was there. How is it that Tariq never met or heard of kanan and would believe that he is slim. After all Shawn is kanans son and he was always around. I’m sure he saw or heard of kanan before.

19. Gwendolyn sipp says:

When is James get out of jail really get him out of their know

20. Chaquell cooper says:

Will ghost get out of jail and will fbi mike get catch?

21. Chaquell cooper says:

Will they find out that kanan is alive?

22. Diane Powers says:

I enjoyed the premiere. just have a problem with the time ELEMENT of the storyline. It’s getting a little mundane, with no one not knowing thevreal

23. Latricia says:

Ghost didn’t cough up blood. He urinated blood. Charlie Murphy’s character & the other guard beat Ghost in his back, it caused trauma to his kidneys. That lead to his kidneys bleeding & leaking blood into his urine.