Girlboss Netflix

Girlboss Cancelled at Netflix

Netflix is firing its Girlboss.

The streaming service has cancelled the comedy series, starring Britt Robertson, after one season, our sister site Deadline reports.

The show — which was based on Nasty Gal founder Sophia Amoruso — followed a scrappy, sassy hustler (Robertson) who realizes that she can buy vintage fashion in secondhand stores, then sell them for hundreds more on eBay.

Kay Cannon (30 Rock) wrote the 13-episode series, which was produced by Charlize Theron (Monster) and Amoruso, who announced the cancellation in an Instagram story.

Girlboss‘ axing marks Netflix’s third recent cancellation after The Get Down and Sense8, the latter of which sparked a fan petition to save the show. Ultimately, the campaign failed, with the streaming giant responding to grieving viewers on Facebook.

“We’ve seen the petitions, we’ve read the message… we know you want [us] to #RenewSense8,” read the message. “The reason we’ve taken so long to get back to you is because we’ve thought long and hard here at Netflix to try to make it work, but unfortunately we can’t.”

Are you sad to see Girlboss go? Hit the comments with your thoughts.

1. John says:

I enjoyed the show, but I feel more sad for Britt Robertson. Everything she does seems to be doomed somehow. :(

• Riana says:

That acclaim will eventually transfer into a hit or maybe awards. Maybe she can do something else with Dylan.

• dude says:

If everything I’ve read is true (including reviews from critics), it seems like this show didn’t work because of Britt Robertson as most people found her totally unlikable in the role and it turned a lot of people off.

• Jorf says:

That’s because Amoruso irl is unlikable and sucks.

• Hannah says:

The character being unlikable means that Britt Robertson did her job properly given how unlikable the real person is…

• dude says:

No it doesn’t. Britt Robertson’s job is to make the audience sympathize her, or at the very least understand her while she’s doing unlikable things. No one wants to watch a show centered around a character they can’t stand, hence the cancellation.

• Tatharnio says:

Your logic is flawed. Frank Underwood is a detestable person, but Kevin Spacey makes you still want to root for him, even while he breaks the law, schemes, steals and stomps on anyone he can. The protagonist doesn’t have to be a good guy, but the viewer still needs to care about them.

• Darlene says:

The job is to make me watch your show or get cancelled. The main character was painfully unlikeable. It is unfortunate because the other actors were great.

• JJ. says:

imo someone like ashley rickards would have been better for the role. Personally I found Britt’s portrayal came off more mean than snarky

• Stanz says:

I don’t know the real Sophia, never heard of her or her brand until after I started watching. I didn’t like the character’s “i can steal cause im quirky and cute” attitude. She was an awful friend and person, but I was hoping she would redeem herself. The actress was great, and I liked RuPauls character. Hope Britt finds something better soon.

• Ally Oop says:

Yeah, and the thing is, all of her shows were actually good.

2. Anna says:

What in the actual hell. It had good buzz going, and I heard nothing but good reviews! I loved it, dont get why Netflix is canceling it.

• dude says:

If you heard nothing but good reviews, then you didn’t actually read the reviews.

• Tom says:

Well Netflix knows how many people watched it, and what it costs to make, and likely did a costs benefits analysis and it came out poorly.

• Tatharnio says:

Because Netflix is run by business people to make money. If a show isn’t profitable to them, then they can’t afford to keep it running. Whether a show is good or bad isn’t a main part of that decision, sadly.

• Darlene says:

Why is that sad? Ehat business eanta to keep making things no one wants to watch? If that happens then there are no shows at all. No money. No sjow..good or bad

3. Phillip says:

Netflix is turning into everything people hate about network tv: cancelling good shows. RIP Sense8, RIP Girlboss. Sad times, sad times indeed.

• DV says:

They are obviously not that good to have made the cut. Or not good enough to justify their budgets. 2 of the 3 shows listed that Netflix cancelled were very expensive. Why would anyone expect a business to take a loss on a product because a handful of people like it?

• LOL says:

Phillip, shows get cancelled everywhere and it’s usually (meaning: always) a business decision. Contrary to popular belief, TV networks and streaming services don’t sit around thinking “How can we piss off people today?” The primary purpose of a show is for people to watch them. If a show gets cancelled, it’s because people didn’t. You can’t expect companies to make bad business decisions so a handful of people can keep watching a show they like.

• Coop says:

If I was a tv executive, I’d definitely sit around thinking about how to piss people off though. Probably cancel shows that ended their current seasons on a giant cliffhanger just for the fun of it! :)

• Tom says:

They are not turning into Network TV because they cancel shows that failed to find an audience worth their cost. Netflix still would have to give up releasing all at once, no ads, 4k hdr, lower episode count serialized storytelling, nudity…

4. Big Mike says:

Never heard of it.

5. Vince says:

Bringer of bad luck. Even her movies flopped.

6. gershou says:

It wasn’t a good serie. Simple as that. Watch Glow instead. It’s awesome.

7. ohhh man that is a shame, really enjoyed the show! dang

8. Lyndy says:

I didn’t like this show….Britt’s character was the major turn off for me and the supporting characters were not any better either.

9. Anne says:

That new guy in charge over there at Netflix kinda sucks. They want to act like a network, seemingly obtuse as to the very reasons people hate networks. Netflix used to be the safe place for trying out new shows and exploring….guess that’s going away now. Congrats Netflix? Looking more like NBC everyday.
    They should of course cancel shows that aren’t doing great or that aren’t connecting with audiences….but it feels like they’re just cancelling stuff at this point to make themselves look like a “real” network.
    I’m not even a fan of the shows that were cancelled, but come on.

• Sasha says:

Exactly my thoughts. If I wanted to be treated like network viewer I’d stuck with network shows. I loved Netflix because it was always giving shows proper conclusion. Now it’s no different than any other network, basic or premium cable. I wasn’t watching that show about hip hop or Girlboss but I was watching Sense8. At least give fans of those shows wrap-up episodes/movies then I might continue my subscription but for now I’m cancelling it. As a client I want to feel respected, I don’t feel it anymore. So bye Felicia.

• Hannah says:

Lmao what are y’all talking about? The first two shows they cancelled were well known for being super expensive to make. And compared to other Netflix shows, I don’t know one person who watched Girlboss, and the reviews weren’t good at all – I’m imagining it was cancelled because of low viewership and poor reviews. They can’t keep every show going forever at a detriment to their business because a few fans are freaking out.

• Stephen A. says:

Wow. “they should cancel shows that aren’t doing well or connecting with audiences” you just answered your own question.
      They’re not trying to be a “real network” whatever that means. Just seems like you folks a re coming up with may reason to justify shows tanking. They’re actually profitable, so why would they copy a failing businesses model?

• Vince says:

Business is business. If it ain’t making revenue, it’ll get axed. TV Networks are just more efficient in using their budget unlike Netflix where a piece of turd could cost a lot per ep.

10. daxtreme says:

Britt Robertson is literally television poison. Stop giving her leading roles.

11. Amy J says:

Not sad. I tried a few episodes and the characters + story were neither relatable or enjoyable. Hope Britt Robertson find a new gig soon though.

12. xomylifexo says:

Netflix better be careful. People like Netflix originals in part because you’ve always been able to count on getting closure. I understand that they need to cancel underperforming shows, but to not even do wrap-up movies when they do is the antithesis to what Netflix used to stand for.

• TV viewer says:

I thought the story was given a proper closure. The business was successful, the relationship was not, friendship endured and lessons were learned. I didn’t need to see more of the same.

13. Jared says:

Girlboss was one of the few Netflix series I couldn’t get into and I usually love Britt Robertson in anything she’s in.

14. T.W.S.S. says:

Just here waiting for them to cancel Iron Fist.

• Jellymoff says:

I doubt they will officially cancel it because they are still using the character.

• Diggy says:

Not while they need the character for The Defenders. Season 1 of Iron Fist was probably rushed to get it out ahead of The Defenders. Super hero content has a higher potential upside so Iron Fist will get another shot at a standalone season which the makers will probably have time to fully bake.

15. johnhelvete says:

The Netflix shows provide closure comments seem a tad premature, how do you know that about Netflix when they have a bunch of shows that have aired 2 or 3 seasons?

16. Syl says:

And another one gone, and another one gone, another one bites the dust.

17. Katey says:

Interesting. I thought it had just like…ended naturally, because the ending seemed tied up pretty nicely. She didn’t need the guy after all, because she was the “girlboss” and was successful in the end.

It was an enjoyable show, with a terribly unlikable cast of characters. Not sure how they pulled that one off.

18. Patrick says:

Sucks, but not unexpected. The show was a hard sell, especially with such an unlikable main character. I enjoyed it, but I could see why others really didn’t. Britt should seriously consider trying out for Squirrel Girl in Marvel’s upcoming TV comedy. She’s definitely cute enough and her small stature would work too.

19. Heather Myer says:

Come on Netflix!! Just binged on season 1! That was a great show!!!!

20. Michael Summerset says:

Netflix doesn’t really need original programs now. There’s plenty of people who would sign up just for the movies and TV reruns.

21. I’m really sad about this it was really good! I love Britt Robertson too and I’m sorry her shows never seem to do so well.

22. Ash says:

Tried to sit through it but couldn’t. Britt was my least favorite part of The Secret Life AND Life Unexpected, but I figured that it was just the CW’s material so I should’ve known better. I was thinking maybe that was back then and things would be different now, but she’s still just so grating.

23. Lisa Echerd says:

Netflix seems determined to produce shows with extremely unlikable characters and then wonder why people don’t like watching them. The only reason I stuck by Girl Boss for about half the season so far was to find out how she made her business a success. I probably won’t even finish the season now. So far the only Netflix original series I’ve liked are Grace and Frankie and House of Cards but it has evolved into another plot driven series where you have no one to root for.

24. Seems sad to read the headline, because I did enjoy the show. And I frankly only gave it a shot because of Britt Robertson, who’s one of my favorite actresses. With the way that it ended, I wouldn’t have imagined it coming back for a 2nd season anyway. I do feel bad for Britt though, everything she does either doesn’t get the amount of buzz it should or gets the ax.

25. Joke D. says:

So sad! As a searching woman in her twenties I really could relate to Sophia in Girlboss. I hope the serie comes back eventually. I would definately buy it if it was available in stores.

26. Nicole goddard-kawiti says:

I’m sooo DISTRAUGHT!!! This was my new favourite show and I can’t believe you guys couldn’t come up with a second season! The character played was awesome and exactly how you would expect a young girl to be that is trying to run a buisness. It was the kind of show you spend your entire day watching without getting bored. I hope you guys bring it back!!!

27. Aline Sant'Ana says:

Sorry…but I am actually glad. I’ve watched the first 2 episodes and then went online to read about Amoruso…and that’s when I decided to stop watching it. I didn’t want to support THAT person. She might be successful (or might have been), but I honestly don’t want to give her any kind of status or acknowledgment. I’m glad Netflix pulled the plug. But they shouldn’t have plugged in at all in the first place.

28. Tannille says:

I can’t get over how negative and critical people are! I though that this was a great show, the actress who played Sophia was bloody amazing, actually I thought all of the actors were great, I can’t believe it’s been cancelled! Sophia was a bad ass!

29. Shannnon says:

I loves GirlBoss it was so interesting, to see someone being brought down and find another plan to do, it’s awesome, and I wanted to see another season. Sad that they canceled it. I guess Netflix don’t know what their miss out on

30. Lynnzie Farb says:

I tried to give this show a chance…giving it several episodes before finally admitting that I just was NOT enjoying it. I like quirky and I’m fine with flawed characters but I found myself feeling that this lady was just not someone that I cared about – at.all.

31. Just started watching Girlboss with my husband and are loving it. It’s creative, silly and enjoyable. Sofia went through failure like every person usually experienced but she didn’t give up and kill herself. Every episode is cuter and smarter then I heard you cancelled Season 2. Bring it back. I know Season 2 would be great. Think about it.

32. Rocky says:

I WOULD LOVE to have girl boss back! Never finished a series so quick, honestly!

33. Linda Sproule says:

I thought that I was watching a movie at first and then when I realized that it was a series, I had to watch all of the episodes. I was hooked. I am very disappointed that there is no Season 2.

34. Richard Moore says:

Keep Girlboss for Season2. Give the show & main character,Sophia, time to develope. Britt Robertson deserves a 2nd season.

35. Richard Moore says:

Britt’s movie The Space Between Us with Asa Butterfield was well done. She’s a great actress.

36. Yairis says:

I’ve been watching this show and I am truly obsessed. I love this show so much and it would be very disappointing to see it go. Please leave it on, it’s amazing.

37. Brandi says:

I loved the show and love Britt. I liked her in Life Unxepected as well, I’m sad that both shows were canceled so soon

38. Margaret Chalket says:

What the hey its a series that three generations can enjoy together. Grandmother daughter and grandaughter so we really got into it . Would really appreciate a second series.

39. Some girl says:

I loved girlboss! It was a great show and I’d love to see more, wish it wasn’t cancelled.

40. AG says:

They should bring it back an use more embedded marketing to pay for it if it’s a budget issue. Also no need for 4K at this point. It’s a really good show. Teaches some great lessons and promotes great ideas. eBay could pay a ton for how much it’s being used in the show.
    Bring it back, at least to a good series ending just as in real life Sofia.

41. Tami says:

Love Girlboss, could watch it every night! Please bring it back!

42. Flowers says:

I thought the character and her supporting characters were hilarious, I like the edgy f the world chick, it was awesome…. People need a decent sense of humor stop over analyzing!

43. Marina Justine says:

Ugh. I just watched it and totally loved it. Bummer.