Emmys
Emmy Awards

My Final Appeal to Emmy Voters: Please Don't Forget These 3 Underdogs

TV-MAThe nomination-round voting period for the 2017 Primetime Emmy Awards closes on Monday, which means there’s still time. Rumor has it 80 percent of of Academy members wait until the very last minute to fill out their ballots, which is a statistic I literally just made up. But, let’s face it, the only thing Hollywood loves more than recycling is procrastinating, so there’s a good chance a lot of Emmy voting will be going on this weekend. To all you dilly-dalliers, I urge you — no, I beg you — to keep top of mind these three insanely deserving, yet underdog, contenders (all of ’em TVLine Dream Emmy finalists), because I have a bad feeling I won’t hear any of their names called out at the nomination announcement on July 13. Please prove wrong my gut (which has an accuracy rate of up to 72 percent, another statistic I just pulled out of thin air).

OUTSTANDING LEAD ACTOR IN A DRAMA SERIES
Freddie Highmore,
Bates Motel (LISTEN: PODCAST Q&A)
It’s crazy that Emmy has yet to recognize Highmore for his revelatory performance as Norman Bates on the A&E drama. Luckily, he was never better than in the show’s fifth and final season, so it’s the perfect time for voters to right this egregious wrong.

OUTSTANDING LEAD ACTRESS IN A DRAMA SERIES
Carrie Coon, The Leftovers (LISTEN: PODCAST Q&A)
Emmy has inexplicably never had much of an appetite for The Leftovers, with the acclaimed HBO drama getting completely shut out during its first two seasons. So even a single nod for the show’s brilliant third and final season would be seen as a major victory. And that will be especially true if said nomination goes to Coon, who, in the show’s finale, delivered one of the great dramatic performances of the past decade.

OUTSTANDING LEAD ACTRESS IN A LIMITED SERIES OR MOVIE
Lauren Graham, Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life (LISTEN: PODCAST Q&A)
Yep, I’m still beating this drum, and here’s why: Gilmore Girls is not as sexy as Big Little Lies. And it doesn’t have the awards cachet of FEUD: Bette and Joan. Which makes A Year in the Life a long shot. But Emmy voters can’t ignore the overwhelming data: One-hundred percent of the world’s population is in agreement that Graham’s career-best work in the Netflix revival should be recognized along with the performances of Lead Actress in a Limited Series shoo-ins (and Oscar winners) Nicole Kidman, Reese Witherspoon, Jessica Lange and Susan Sarandon. And no, I didn’t make that stat up. I conducted the poll myself. It was a lot of work.

OK, now your turn: Which three dark horse contenders will you be pulling for on July 13? Hit the comments!

1. Oran says:

Couldn’t agree more!

2. Dan Stevens and/or Aubrey Plaza for Legion (almost anyone on that show IMO), Caroline Dhavernas for Mary Kills People, Andy Daly for Review, Kristen Bell for The Good Place, and I might riot if there aren’t nods for Samantha Bee and John Oliver.

3. Jennifer says:

Michael – I love you. I love this site. But you never the love of all things Gilmore and Graham. The revival was not good. LG was OK, but there are better nominees out there.

• Jennifer says:

This should have said:

Michael – I love you. I love this site. But you need to get over your love of all things Gilmore and Graham. The revival was not good. LG was OK, but there are better nominees out there.

• Jec says:

I agree. The revival wasn’t good. It doesn’t stack up against Big Little Lies not because it wasn’t sexy, because it was just too mediocre. That being said I still love Lauren Graham. Although if the Emmys are recognizing actors from GG, then where is Kelly Bishop’s Dream Emmy? She gave the best performance

4. ninergrl6 says:

My #1 REALLY dark horse: Jensen Ackles. He had some incredible material last season — “Regarding Dean” alone is a masterclass, and then that speech to Mary about hating her 💔 Genre shows get almost no love from major awards so I have zero hope of this happening, but he’s absolutely deserving of a best actor nomination.

• Cheryl says:

Omg yes!!! Dean telling Mary how all of her actions affected his entire life was so great! Definitely one of Jensen’s finest moments on the show. But I also have zero hope of any award nods coming their way. SPN is basically overlooked. Thank God and Chuck that us fans are here to give it all the lovin’ we can!

• Xochi says:

I agree with you ninergrl6. Jensen Ackles is such an underrated actor.

5. cej says:

Freddie Highmore, please!!!!

6. Jec says:

If Carrie Coon and The Leftovers don’t get nominated then the Emmys are full of idiots. It was the best drama of the year.

7. Cranky says:

Rachel Bloom and Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. Season two wasn’t quite the gem season one was, but it’s still just so freakin good and she deserves every award.

8. Brian says:

Totally messed up how Freddie Highmore and Vera Farmiga (outside of her 1 nomination) have been ignored by the Emmy voters.

9. Sasha says:

If Freddie Highmore doesn’t get nominated I’ll be crying and I’m not just saying that. I’ll be sobbing, my heart will be hurt, I’ll be devastated as if I lost some relative. Seriously no other actor gave better performance than him this year. His performance in finale broke my heart to million pieces. I’m begging you Emmy voters, nominate him. Oh, and don’t forget Carrie Coon in The Leftovers. But Freddie getting nominated will make my last days on earth worth it.

10. Jared says:

Carrie Coon really does run circles around everyone and it would be a complete travesty if she doesn’t get some love.

11. dan says:

My three (all in supporting categories):
    Lori Petty for OITNB
    Sissy Spacek for Bloodline
    Norbert Leo Butz for Bloodline

12. Emm says:

Anything for Schitt’s Creek will make me the most happy. Especially Catherine O’Hara.

13. Dawn McM says:

The cast of Bosch!

14. Sarah says:

Lauren Graham by far !
    She was amazing in the revival especially that long speech in fall
    Needs to b recognized

15. Angela says:

I will bang the drum for Highmore until I’m blue in the face :p. Yes.

16. kmw says:

The only one they will ignore is Lauren Graham ok and maybe Highmore but Coon should be a shoo in. I have come to detest awards shows because of how unbalanced they are EVERYWHERE!!!. Most of the best actors around are never going to recognized because their show isn’t ” niche ” or ” violent” or ” sexy” enough. I know come nomination time it will be the same ole same ole

17. Theresa says:

My three:
    1. William Jackson Harper (The Good Place): The entire cast should be nominated, but Harper shined as the heart of the show. Danson is a given, Bell is a strong contender, but Harper is the most deserving.
    2. Michaela Coel (Chewing Gum): What a strange, funny, and charming character on a strange, funny, and charming show. If Coel is not nominated, at least she still has her BAFTA.
    3. Hale Appleman (The Magicians): I have a better chance of being nominated for this post than an actor in a fantasy series on Syfy, but Appleman has done great work as Eliot. You can’t help but watch him.

• Jules says:

I posted my comment about Michaela Cole before I saw yours. She’s amazing! The show deserves a nod too but I’ll settle for hers.

18. Maurie Friedman says:

Lauren Graham, comedy to drama performance perfection. Her eyes tell it all

19. I’ve got just one and I don’t know if he would be considered a dark horse or not, but Michael McKean really deserves a best suporting actor nom for Better Call Saul.

20. Lyndy says:

Nah… Lauren Graham does not deserve to be nominated

• Chara says:

And why not. Her character is amazing. Have you only watched the revival and not the series?

• C says:

Doesn’t matter if they’ve seen the series, she shouldn’t be nominated on a past series.

• Hannah says:

Because there are so many other actresses that are more deserving in her category. And her character in the original series should have no bearing on Emmy voters for this series. She did a good job, but she honestly doesn’t compare to the others in the category.

21. Julia says:

Yes to Freddie Highmore!! I think Vera Farmiga deserves recognition, too, even though she was stronger in other seasons (obviously because she was alive & had more to do). But think the whole show deserves more recognition! How do the people who vote on these things not see that?!

• Julia says:

Oh, and I like Gilmore Girls & Lauren but don’t think she deserves a nomination for the GG revival. Thought it was just okay. Think she deserved more recognition for Parenthood – another show that got almost no recognition & was excellent!!

22. Chara says:

GG was amazing and LG total deserves recognition for this character. An amazing show and amazing cast all around.

23. Britta says:

@thelaurengraham for sure 😍 she deserve an Emmy nomination so badly

24. Emmy Rossum should have 7 Emmys by now. Shame on you, TV Academy!

25. Joey Padron says:

Hope Freddie and Vera will get nominated for the final season of Bates Motel.

26. Brigiette Foster says:

Lauren Graham deserves this and other awards that she has been look over for. She is an amazing woman who has awesome talent. Her actress skills appeals to so people in this world. If you really care about your TV audience then you would know that. It’s shameful that she has to go through this. Listen to us our opinions definitely count. She has a charm that is of Streisand and Keaton and that is truly amazing.

• KariBrit says:

I totally agree!!! Lauren has definitely paid her dues, and even in the event of them trying to type cast her into one role “tv mom”,she still impacts and delivers various layers of excellence within her acting that shows she is capable of more than what she is alotted to do in this genre of business. If for nothing else they (Emmy’s) should nominate her for the mere fact that she came back and played a role/ character that she had not played in almost a decade. Not too mention she did the role justice just like before. She definitely should’ve gotten an emmy nod for Parenthood as well. Lauren is talent and has mastered her craft, a Emmy would be nice.

27. Jared says:

Lauren Graham is an INCREDIBLE actress, just look at her work in both comedy and drama, Film and TV. She is definitely long over due for some awards love and recognition but the GG revival just didn’t showcase enough of her talent to warrant a nomination for that particular project. I blame the material(not that it was bad) more so than the actress who I love and will pretty much watch in anything she stars in.

28. Brigiette Foster says:

Lauren Graham is an amazingly talented actress. Her charm and skills are of unquestionably value. She has been valued for her ability to keep an audience of all types intrigued and emotional. To me she stands up there with Streisand and Keaton. I feel that our opinions are very important because it is us that keep your ratings were they need to be. All we are asking is to give her the recognition that she so truly deserve.

29. Gail says:

WINONA RYDER
    JENSEN ACKLES

30. Shannon says:

Drew Barrymore! Santa Clarita diet

31. Erin says:

I would love to see Lauren get nominated. The whole body of work from the pilot to Fall was always perfect and always overlooked.

32. Jules says:

Supporting Actor in a Comedy: Zach Woods in Silicon Valley
    Lead Actress in a Comedy: Michaela Cole in Chewing Gum
    Best Animated Series: American Dad

33. peterwdawson says:

Just Carrie Coon in general would be nice. I loved her run on Fargo as well.

34. Courtney says:

Elizabeh Henstridge and Iain De Caestecker have been brilliant on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. since day 1, but this season in particular they were phenomenal.

Alas, they will be overlooked again.

• ndixit says:

They were very good, brilliant at times but I don’t think their material was varied enough to warrant an inclusion over some others. That’s not throwing shade at them at all. I would say that if anyone deserves an Emmy nod this season from AOS, it should be Mallory Jansen who was quite ridiculously good playing half a dozen different versions of the character.

• Courtney says:

You’re right. Mallory was brilliant in every iteration of Aida (and Agnes) and absolutely deserves a nomination as a Guest Star.

I’m likely putting too much stock in Elizabeth and Iain’s performances over the whole series; they’ve just been so consistently fantastic every year, and it frustrates me to no end that they get overlooked because the show isn’t in the right genre or niche market to hit the sweet spot for voters.

35. Priscilla says:

Lauren Graham, nmbr 3!!!!she’s the best!

36. Joanne Pearson says:

Lauren Graham deserves the Emmy nod finally! She is a fantastic actress who seems to always get overlooked, PLEASE do not make that mistake again! Come on Emmy voters let’s give Lauren the recognition she deserves her fans all know it so get on board! Her work on GG and Parenthood were stellar, she’s a comedic as well as dramatic actress who can make you laugh and bring you to tears in a single moment. She is just that good, Love her and her work,

37. queenbrat says:

I don’t watch any of those so I have no idea. For me the most overlooked actors on tv are from TWD, and Eliza Taylor from IZombie.

38. Toby Milton says:

I think Rose McIver portraying so many character traits in iZombie deserves a nod, she’s so funny and does a great job

BoJack Horseman should be in for animated series

39. Chicago138 says:

Rupert Friend, Rupert Friend, and Rupert Friend. He conveys so much emotion with just a micro-expression (thanks Lie to Me for teaching me about those), his performance is so subtle yet devastating. He portrayed a physically and emotionally wounded vet with such care and respect. If Peter Quinn is really gone, I can’t wait to see what Friend does next.

40. Alec says:

Freddie Highmore needs to be nominated.

41. Julia Westlake says:

Lauren Graham, Gilmore Girls

42. Julia Westlake says:

Just love the fast talking, quick witted Lauren Graham and Gilmore Girls

43. totem says:

Aaron Paul in The Path

44. KariBrit says:

LAUREN has my vote!!!!!! It is well deserved and long overdo!!!

45. RichieS says:

Connie Britton for Nashville and Kyle Chandler for Bloodline…..these two oughta work together someday.

46. Chelsea says: