Downward Dog Cancelled ABC

Downward Dog Cancelled at ABC

Downward Dog is headed to the TV doghouse: ABC has cancelled the canine-centered sitcom after one season.

The news was confirmed by a tweet from co-creator Samm Hodges, who called the cancellation “very surprising” and insisted “we are committed to finding a new home” for the freshman series:

The quirky comedy, starring Fargo alum Allison Tolman as the owner of a moody dog named Martin who speaks to the audience in voiceover, debuted last month to mostly glowing reviews, with a premiere at the prestigious Sundance Film Festival.

And it scored decent ratings at first, too: Leading out of the Modern Family season finale, Dog sneak-peeked to 4.7 million total viewers and a 1.1 demo rating, and somewhat remarkably held steady (5.7 mil/1.0) with its regular timeslot premiere, self-starting the following Tuesday and leading into the Dancing With the Stars finale. But every week since then, it has dwindled, most recently mustering 3.1 mil and a 0.6.

The final two episodes of Downward Dog will air next Tuesday, June 27 at 10/9c on ABC.

Will you miss Downward Dog? Make your voice heard in the comments.

1. Frannie says:

I absolutely will miss Downward Dog & Martin & Nan. It’s so we’ll written, smart & funny! Not fake laugh track funny but real funny! This is a bad decision ABC!

• Al says:

Not really a bad decision considering it was lower rated than comedy repeats

• debraanderson568 says:

Why reply about rating lower than reruns? No opinion of your own?

• TV Gord says:

Because ratings matter. No other network, channel or streaming service is going to be interested in picking it up without the ratings to back up making it worth their while.

• Andrea Blocker says:

Nooooooooo! Do not cancel this show!!!! Creative, funny, interesting, heart warming, tugged at my heart strings. Guess people do not want to watch a quality show, just reality show trash. Anything of quality does not appeal to our dumbed down tv audience in this country anymore. And I am a cat person, but I absolutely loved Martin!!!! Can’t wait to fine where it’s new home will be. ABC what a stupid decision!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. ABC barely did any promotion for this. No one I mentioned it to even knew it existed. It also wasn’t available on the ABC on-demand channel for things like Playstation Vue.

• Al says:

There was a promo during literally every ABC show during April and May
      It got nonstop promos during ABC comedies, Billboard Awards, Daytime, etc.
      Additionally ABC gave it shot by giving it a preview after Modern Family finale (their No.1 comedy).
      So can’t blame ABC

3. M says:

It was cute, funny, and sometimes touching. Hope they’re successful in finding a new home.

4. Talia says:

I could not watch it after the first episode. I really don’t like bad pet owners.

• KS says:

I know, right? I’ve been watching it, but I weirdly don’t like Nan. She’s too selfish and irresponsible when it comes to Martin. Only crazy dog people will get it, ha ha.

• Elizabeth says:

I agree. Poor Martin was so neglected. The show has a great concept, they just need a better dog owner.

• czcohen says:

Nan is a fine dog owner. She brings Martin to work with her. She has a friend over to watch him when she is out of town for one day. I don’t even bother to do that when I leave for a couple days and I leave my cats alone. Nan is a perfectly acceptable loving dog owner, and I am a fine cat owner. My cats are very happy and content with their lives.

• Molly says:

I really don’t like bad pets…

5. George H. says:

Didn’t even know there was a show called Downward Dog.

6. Ella says:

Sad, this is a sweet, funny show. Love Martin

7. ben tv watcher says:

I tried so hard to enjoy this show, but couldn’t even finish the second episode. Does it get better? Does Nan interact with her dog more? Does the cat get more screen time..the cat was funny.

8. Julie Angelena says:

I love Downward Dog!

9. Tom says:

This is clearly a conservative conspiracy aimed at taking down a liberal leaning show!

10. ABG says:

Well, duh. You don’t burn off a show amongst re-runs when you want to renew it.

11. Haz says:

I didn’t watch the show and didn’t plan too but I’m just going to say it, if the AI reboot bombs Dungey is going to be out of a job. This seems like a somewhat dumb decision considering Boy Band and The Gong Show did…well not great, and well Still Star Crossed is history, so what gives? Did they even try to make it work? I read earlier this week that their contracts expire at the end of this month so is that why it received the boot? I just don’t understand what their goal is at ABC. I mean they renewed Modern Family for 44 episodes while long time fans (myself included) have noted the quality has went downhill, they pay Katy Perry a reported $25 million for the AI reboot and the poor girl is honestly headed for a mental breakdown, and they cancel the one semi-decently rated summer show. I just don’t get some of their decisions and am curious if they are competing with Fox for the title of “Dumbest Decisions Made by a Network”?

12. kmw says:

Too bad. I hope it can find a new home

13. kirads09 says:

Love Allison Tolman in Fargo. IF there is a S4, can you bring her back please?
    But this does not surprise me. Much like Imaginary Mary. Talented leads in both but the premise and subject matter ridiculous.

14. Occa22 says:

Omg.. so bummed this show has been cancelled! I just finished watching an episode and was looking up who voiced Martin the dog and saw this headline… the best comedy ABC has aired in years… please find a new home for Downward Dog (USA Network?)- I’m going to Nan and Martin :(

15. This makes me and my dog really sad. This is a uniquely creative, hilarious show that has not only a human audience, but a canine one too. My dog loves watching it. What other show can say that? Please please find it a new home!

• Becca says:

Agree!

• Marie Frank says:

Agree! Great show. Great dog owner! Great cast! For those who worry about Nan as being a “bad” dog owner, how many of you actually use a dog seat belt for your dog? Children should be treated this well!!! Netflix where are you?

• Renee says:

Agree.. I think this show is pretty funny, well written and like both the human story and dog story happening. I think Nans character is great and well Martin…how can you not love him! Very disappointed it was cancelled and hoping it gets picked up somewhere!

16. Elizabeth Banko says:

This sucks. I really like this show, it has grown on me more and more each episode. Very short sighted of ABC. If this show had been on during the regular season instead of being buried between reruns during the dead summer months it would most likely done much better. Netflix please pick it up, I promise I won’t cancel my subscription if you do!

17. Harry Worth says:

A charming show, absolutely. But “unique and uncompromising”?

18. Dove says:

Very sad, great show!

19. Axl says:

Only poor people watch network tv.

20. Bella says:

I’m really disappointed they’re not giving it more of a chance. I just discovered the show a few weeks ago. It’s funny and full of heart. I really hope it finds another home.

21. Amelia says:

This is so sad! And only 2 episodes left?? This is the first time in a very long time that I’ve been genuinely sad when something was cancelled.

22. Kathleen Stoll says:

Love Downward Dog. But it was a summer show on Already Been Cancelled. Didn’t have a chance.

23. felinegroovey says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Guess there’s too much money being used to revive game shows at ABC. But bless everyone connected with this show (especially Ned), and I truly hope that DD will continue its unique excellence at a place accessible to everyone.

24. jjjustjill says:

So disappointed that ABC did not renew this unique and wonderful show. I looked forward to it and thoroughly enjoyed it-often watched it twice. Loved the dog as narrator and hearing his canine perspective. It was a perfect show. I sure hope to see it somewhere else.Bet FOX would have kept it-its much more open to creative sitcoms!

25. T.W.S.S. says:

I am still shocked that someone greenlit this and Imaginary Mary in the same season.

26. Anne says:

Why do they even make shows like this? Like it’s obvious from the lack of promotion to the scheduling that these types of shows are made simply to be cancelled. Why?! What is the point of this stupid exercise.
    And I genuinely enjoyed this show. But I knew going in that it was fodder tv

27. Laura E. says:

Really disappointed. I loved hearing Martin’s thoughts, and the cast was mostly really appealing (except the boss). Very sweet and funny show.

28. JoAnn Snatchko says:

Well, I fell in love with Martin and Nan and.am
    So disappointed it was cancelled. Been ill and probably watch too much TV but this show made me laugh and cry. Martin resembles my rescue dog Sadie so now I need
    A friggin therapist. Please find another way to air this show. I was raving about it to my family. So creative and unique.

• PatriciaLee says:

I wonder if fans can gofund TV movies? There are so many cancelled shows that would be fun to see as TV movies.

29. Jazz says:

#saveDownwardDog
    Great show and cast. It deserves a second season!

30. ragnar51 says:

Sad to see this is cancelled, I really wanted to like this show but the dog’s voice was just grating on me.

31. JB says:

Watched first episode. What an awful show. Dog’s POV was just creepy, woman was unlikeable.

• Maria says:

I found the boyfriend dude to be completely insufferable. Jason? Josh? Whatever his name was. Watched it once because my daughter wanted me to watch with her. Yeah, once was enough.

32. ME says:

And life as we know it will continue .

33. Jared says:

This is the classic case of good show wrong network. Maybe even a little too ambitious for ABC.

34. Joan coc says:

This has been my favorite show. The acting and that precious Ned have made my Tuesday nights something to look forward to. I hope you find a new home, because it would be such a waste not to see any more episodes of downward dog!

35. Patti says:

I am so sad that Downward Dog is being cancelled. Almost every episode made me laugh and cry. A few plot points (work environment) and characters (obnoxious boss) needed some tuning, but isn’t that true of most new shows? I love Martin, even though I’m a cat person. I can even chuckle at the “evil cat” characterization. I hope this show finds a home someplace where I’ll be able to access it.

36. Ray says:

Can’t say I’m surprised. Allison Tolman was and is awesome but even she couldn’t save this saccharine show. I tried to get into it but, no, just no. Kind of trite and way too precious to be funny. I wish Allison the best of luck getting something much better in the next run that deserves her talent.

37. Nassau says:

Why ABC bother to pick-up Downward Dog and Imaginary Mary is beyond me…. They both screamed cancelled after a few episodes, so why bother.

• Joseph Trem says:

I understand where you’re coming from, but I disagree. Yes, Imaginary Mary was awful, just plain awful, I couldn’t even watch 15 minutes of it. However, I think Downward Dog is a LOT better than Imaginary Mary. I knew 2 minutes into the first episode of Imaginary Mary that it wasn’t going to last, however for some reason, I had hopes for Downward Dog. And Downward Dog may not be done, it is being shopped to other networks, and has a lot more potential than Imaginary Mary.

• Mindy Maglione says:

Agree 100%. Downward Dog is a much better written show than Imaginary Mary. There is human depth in Downward Dog if you listen to the dialogue and have ever loved a dog.

38. Debbie says:

NO! I love this show!

39. Donna Frasier says:

I love that show I will definitely miss it I thought it was very very funny so surprised that it was canceled

40. M.Lambert says:

We really enjoyed the show and it’s gentle humor and the personality of Martin. Sure hope the show finds a new home.

41. E. D. Boddy says:

It could have been a good show, and I like Alison Tolman, but that voice-over was the extreme in grating, from the eeloongaatiion of the woords, to, like, the use of “like” in, like, every third, like, word. I can NOT listen to that!

42. Geri says:

We LOVE Downward Dog! It is our favorite show of the season and we are so sad about its cancellation. Fingers crossed that it will find another network . . .

43. ncmacasl says:

Is it safe to assume that any & all “Late Spring” scripted premieres (May or later) will ultimately get cancelled?!? Seems to be a “Dumping Ground” for shows with a limited run order that turn out to be awful. (seems to happen every year!!!)

44. Carol C says:

I totally love this show – my favourite of the season – and am very sad to say good-bye so soon.

45. Susan says:

I really enjoyed Downward Dog and this makes me upset!! Why is it they cancel everything without giving it a ‘real’ chance. I agree that this is a bad decision ABC!!!

46. Nooooooooo! ABC has disappointed me once again!!! Hope it funds a new station!!

47. Judson says:

I will miss the dog. He was the best actor in the show. So sad.

48. Marie says:

Downward Dog is the only show I watch on ABC. With that leaving, goodbye ABC.

49. Mary Ann haney says:

LOVE LOVE LOVE DOWNWARD DOG. NANCY & MARTIN PERFECTION. PLEASE ANOTHER NETWORK PICKUP THIS ORIGINALgem

50. Sue Badia says:

Love, love this show. Smart, funny, timely. Really hope someone picks it up, it is fantastic. I don’t understand why some of the networks won’t take a chance on clever, upbeat shows.