Supernatural Spinoff Wayward Sisters Starring Kim Rhodes Eyed at The CW

The CW is taking another stab at a Supernatural spinoff, this one built around Kim Rhodes’ Sheriff Jody Mills.

According to Deadline, which first broke the news, the premise for the potential offshoot — tentatively titled Wayward Sisters — will be introduced in a Season 13 episode of Supernatural. Here’s the conceit: Sheriff Mills (played by Rhodes) and a group of troubled young women, all of them orphaned by supernatural tragedy, will team up as a supreme monster-fighting force.

“Unlike the original series, which centers on a biological brothers, Wayward Sisters is about a sisterhood of girls in a foster family,” Deadline reports.

The project is being shepherded by Supernatural writers-producers Andrew Dabb, Robert Singer, Phil Sgriccia, and Robert Berens.

Deadline speculates that two existing Supernatural characters, orphan Claire Novak and runaway Alex Jones, could be featured in the offshoot alongside Rhodes (whose character was first introduced in Season 5).

Back in 2014, The CW developed a Supernatural spinoff billed as a “sweeping drama about the mafia-esque monster families that, unknowingly to humans, run the underbelly of Chicago and who are being tracked by a newly minted Hunter.” Titled Supernatural: Bloodlines, the project never made it beyond a pilot.

1. Andrea says:

Now this is the direction they should have gone in from the beginning when they were talking about doing a Supernatural spin-off. Sheriff Jody Mills/Kim Rhodes can carry a series.

• Erika says:

Yes!! This!. The mistake they made last time was making a single backdoor pilot following brand-new characters no one cared about. These are longstanding characters that the audience already has a good relationship with.

• If they go with the new idea as stated, we will still have to get to know a bunch of new characters….all of the young hunters-in-training. I’m sure the show will likely focus on them, as networks love shows they can market towards younger audiences. :(

• ninergrl6 says:

Absolutely 100% yes! No need to introduce a whole new family. (No need for a backdoor pilot either IMO) The Supernatural mythology is already full of rich characters. Jody and her brood are perfect for this.

• makparis says:

With as many episodes with these characters already, they’ve already done a backdoor pilot.

• Wiz says:

The backdoor pilot isn’t to re introduce these characters. It’s to introduce the premise of the spinoff in case they do get picked up for a season.

• makparis says:

I know what a backdoor pilot is for. I just feel like that have already established the premise – Jody, a hunter and sheriff, raising and protecting/training young women. She’s being doing that for a while. The network should know by now from all that they have seen from these characters (Jody, Donna, Alex and Claire) whether or not they want to proceed with this show and since this started with the fans, then they should know whether or not it will be successful enough.

• Wiz says:

I get what you mean. But all of these characters appeared in filler episodes. So they have to start a good premise for them if they want to get picked up to series. Plus I’m sure they’ll introduce new characters. Having Sheriff Jody with her girls isn’t exactly a watchable show.

• kalli says:

If they went with it then, it might have done well; now many people have moved on, so they’re coming out of their smaller viewerbase and missing casual fans from the time.

• Jim says:

Yeah, really. This was the obvious move. Or just a show that’s about two sister hunters with their own brand of interesting family drama. I mean why was that so hard to figure out? Anyway, very much a yes to Kim Rhodes being in this (has she really only been in twelve episodes of Supernatural total?), but I’m a little worried about Claire and Alex being involved because, frankly, their actresses aren’t good enough. Well, the one who plays Claire is improving, at least. And it would probably be best for the show in the long run if she was in it, considering she’s a Novak and that opens up interesting plotlines. But if Alex just went away to college and never came home, that would be fine with me. I also really enjoy Donna, but I’m not sure she would work as a regular?

2. Jen says:

this makes me unreasonably happy

• jr. says:

I’d prefer a spinoff which featured Sam and Deans long lost brother. Garth and Bobbie. Can’t think of the characters names right now, but that perky girl who often showed up and went to OZ and inside a video game for them. Also the trickster, and the young guy.along with his mother, who read the tablets, but who dean got killed. Just don’t bring back Mary Winchester. IMO

3. Cordell says:

I am peeing in my pants now, Jody’s getting her own show, YES.

4. LisaMBri says:

Fandom suggested this one years ago – glad it is moving forward- maybe they can have the blonde deputy (Donna? recur – and of course our boys should be available consult even if it is via skype or facetime on occasion

5. El S Boy says:

Not the sharpest tool in the shed at the CW
    Years for ending with the thing fans was screaming at them all along

The Girls needs to be in full time

6. Oran says:

Sounds good, looking forward for the backdoor pilot.

7. Sarah G says:

OMG YES!!!! Love this idea – really hope it goes to series!!!

8. maermae says:

I love & adore Jody but I just do not see this spinoff finding success as a spinoff – especially not if Claire is given a leading role. Claire has grated on my nerves unlike no other character in the SPN world has. She’s just too bratty & is flat-out unlikable. She reminds me of me as a teenager and I was the worst.

I get wanting to capitalize on Supernatural’s success but Supernatural really was, and still is, lightning in a bottle. You can’t replicate that.

While I think the show’s most fanatical fans will tune into this, I just do not see the general SPN audience jumping on board.

• Kelli says:

OMG! Thank you for saying this! Claire gets on my last nerve! I love Jody but if Claire is going to be a fixture on the show then I’ll pass.

• Kerry says:

Could not agree with you more. She will make this tank entirely.

• diya says:

Ditto!!! I really find Claire annoying and irritating. Whenever she’s in an episode I just skip it.

• Linda says:

Here I thought I was the only one that didn’t care for Claire. (I also didn’t care for Krissy either.)

• Jamie says:

BUT maybe if they develop her character better she could be more likable. The actress was in Big Little Lies on HBO last fall and I liked her much better, which suggests it’s the character more than the actress. With a spinoff maybe they’ll figure out a way to make her less annoying.

• They desperately need to re-work her character, because it seems likely they will focus the new show on her and Alex; which may be a mistake; too many people dislike Claire, and Alex is rather bland and boring IMO.

• Jamie says:

I agree. I really can’t stand her so she needs some major overhaul. Unfortunately this show kills off the strong females that the audience loves and keeps duds like Claire around. Fingers crossed though because this is the spinoff I’ve been waiting for!

• Dom says:

I find Claire much more likable than the Winchester brothers at the moment. We know her backstory, she has ties to Cas and Jody, two characters who are break out popular. And the actress was recently featured in BigLittleLies.

• Wiz says:

I find Kathryn’s acting cringeworthy. Especially her last appearance in season 12. I’ve only seen her in Paranormal Activity 4. And it was about the same feeling.

• Anne says:

Shocking. SPN fans that hate a female character. :/

• maermae says:

…..?!?! I said I love Jody. & I enjoy Donna, Eileen, Charlie. LOVED Meg & Ellen & Jo. Disliking one single female character is not sexist or whatever else you were implying. Claire is simply a poorly designed & written character.

9. Shaun says:

Are they gonna be as unkillable as Sam and Dean?lol

• CurlyGurly says:

Well, they’ve survived so far, and with the history of this show killing off women, that says a lot!!

• Hannah says:

Technically Sam and Dean are killed quite often (Dean alone has died over 100 times…). They just refuse to stay dead.

10. Cordell says:

Was Alex the witch that lost his sister and mother, I’d love to see him move over to the new show

11. Jason says:

Finally!!!!

12. Missy says:

YES PLEASE!
    Jody, Claire, Alex, Donna and whoever else they’ve collected along the way.
    I think we NEED a show like this… a show about women! Women who kick ass and take care of each other! WaywardAF

I didn’t mind the original attempt at a spinoff, but this does sound much better and might, in the times we live in, be extremely relevant :-D

• Abbey says:

Definitely! I agree with you! They need Donna too.

• Kriston Troy Brannan says:

Jody, Claire, Alex, Donna, and the Good Witch Twins would be the dream cast for this, IMO. Maybe bring in one or two new people, to function as the surrogate for new viewers, but you’ve already got an awesome premise and a great principle cast to make this a really interesting spin-off.

13. JenJ says:

I love Jody Mills and and her wayward girls so much, I think this would be an awesome series! I’ve just been so afraid during this past season, that they would kill one of them off, this would be a perfect way to keep them going strong. CW, I think you would have a lot of support by fans for this one, please make it so!

14. tracyg36 says:

In order to have a successful spinoff, you need at least ONE character people care about. That’s why we effectively killed that “Kindred: The Embraced” thing they tried to pass off as a spinoff years ago. (Seriously, look it up on Wikipedia and you’ll see what I mean.) We’ve been clamoring for this, basically. I feel like we won.

15. Misti says:

Oh my goodness! Yes, PLEASE!!!

16. NC says:

Finally!! This is so perfect!! Now maybe they finally won’t kill off awesome female characters like the have in the past!! Felicia Day’s character Charlie anyone? That still makes me mad!

17. Brenda says:

Was Bloodlines shown as an episode of Supernatural? I missed that.

18. YES YES YES! I’ve been wanting this spin-off for years!!! Super excited!

19. Dracine says:

I like the idea – I just wish they would have thought of it before they killed off Felicia Day’s character. I think that Kim and Felicia would have played well off of each other.

• Patrick says:

Day has so much going on that I don’t she’d have ever been up to do this. If she wanted a regular role on a TV show, there are, conservatively, 30+shows that would scramble to fit her in. And that discounts any number of pilots that would be built around her. She loved the role, and did some recurring stuff. But she’s got a new baby, and seems to be transitioning to behind the camera.

• I had the exact same thought when I read the story.

• makparis says:

This is Supernatural, no one stays dead forever, or at least gone forever. Both Bobby and Kevin have died (*must wipe tears*) but have both shown up on occasion. And how many times have Dean, Sam or Cas died? It’s ridiculous. Heck, even Mary who was killed in the pilot is back. Charlie can and will hopefully return.

• Wiz says:

I feel like Charlie’s death was a vendetta. You heard about Bob Singers response saying if Felicia called them and told them she’d have a few days they’d bring her back. And her response was waiting by the phone. I think the bar is high of never seeing Charlie again. And Felicia’s obviously not waiting for them to get their head out of their asses.

20. Roberta says:

Oh please, please, please, let me get what I want this time!!!!!!!

21. Deion says:

I would have like this much better as a Jo/Ellen/Jody series after season 5, but I will deal.

22. Abbey says:

Now you just need to add Donna to the show. Briana Buckmaster.

• I couldn’t agree more! I wanted a Jody and Donna team-up as a spin-off, not a whole new group of young characters with Claire and Alex as the center (arguably my two least favorite characters of the series) and Jody basically being the Bobby of the show. Oh well, maybe young people will like it. Also, this is sort of the Slayer school from the last season of Buffy, but less interesting.

• skyebright8 says:

Agree, maybe Sherrif Tyson, add whatever teenage characters from supernatural they want as well as Claire and Alex, like Krissy and Max

23. I would totally watch Kripke’s original idea for Supernatural spinoff featuring Samuel Colt.

This is better than Bloodlines, but how exactly is it gonna be different from Supernatural.

24. Jamie Lee Ann Byrd says:

I hope they add Donna to the show Brianna and Kim work great together

25. Phillip says:

This is the spinoff I have been waiting for!!

26. Imzadi says:

Love Jody and would love to see Donna. The girls? Not so sure. I fear teenage angst and bratty behaviour.

27. Debbie says:

Perhaps in the face of Wonder Woman, they can now feel secure enough to make this happen. The fans have been clamoring for it since the word spin off first was whispered. Bloodlines never felt like it was part of the Supernatural universe, this one is much more organic and hopefully will see the light of day.

28. Wiz says:

So basically a female version of Supernatural. I’m sorry to the people excited for this. But why does Rhodes get a spinoff? We’ve had far better female fan favorites come over the years. I’m sorry again but I don’t like any of the Wayward Daughter characters. Donna is tolerable at best. Jody has over stayed her welcome. Been around since season 5 but they kill everyone else? Claire is annoying I don’t know how people like her. Alex is always forgetful until they show her backstory in the recaps.

Charlie and Eileen were my last favorites. And they were butchered for plot. But all these guys get to stay and get a spinoff. If I sound bitter I kind of am.

• And honestly, I’m little surprised that The CW wants to go with Rhodes as a female lead, seems little risky with The CW’s usual demographic.

• Wiz says:

Not only that. But also Supernatural is the kind of show that doesn’t warrant a spinoff. It is its own entity. I don’t see the entire SPN fandom tuning into this. The people wanting this show would be lucky enough to get one season.

• Yeah, don’t know about that, but maybe you’re on to something, because with SPN being a huge success, it’s kinda weird, that they weren’t able to develop spin-off years ago. And the whole concept of Bloodlines spin-off was downright awful. I really liked Kripke’s spinoff pitch with Samuel Colt.

• ROBIN TOMBLIN says:

I agree. Spn doesn’t need a spinoff. You cant replace J2. Jody and Donna would do better as occasional guests. They’re not strong enough characters. If ever a spinoff l would prefer Rufus and Bobby much stronger characters with chemistry

• kalli says:

It’s possible – all the CW-y shows have a main teen-to-early-20s cast and then one or two older people to be mentor/foil, especially in their first seasons. Like Reign had Catherine, or Arrow started with Moira and Merlin, and SPN had John Winchester (even when he wasn’t there), then Bobby.

29. queenbrat says:

Sounds good to me. I hope it goes through.

30. Allison says:

I think this will be great, but I also really loved the “back door” episode for Bloodlines…I was so disappointed that didn’t make it to series.

31. Erick Voshel says:

Great news! Looking forward to it.

32. crispyrolli says:

I love Sheriff Mills but only daughters?? Really? “Sry son but i can’t help you, but you sister is welcome anytime…” nope nope nope… I don’t want an all women supernatural series… Feels like Buffy with all the other Vampire slayers at the end of the series… and there where male characters…

• skyebright8 says:

Yeah I’d have the main three adults be the female sherriffs the brothers have encountered, but have supporting male characters as well. And the kids could be both genders. I guess still have the cast majority female but have characters like Max the witch easily able to be regular cast members.

• makparis says:

I think she has her hands full enough with Claire alone, but we always have our regular old Supernatural if we need some men.

33. Terry Ciotti says:

I think the reason SN is a success is because of Jensen and Jared. Not too sure if a secondary character can pull it off

• ROBIN TOMBLIN says:

I agree. Spn is special because of.Sam and Dean. I think a female spinoff is just trying to hook on to spn success but that just won’t happen twice and I think lessens the special nature of spn. Besides the characters of Alex and clare are my least favorite. Jody or Donna 9nce in awhile needing asdistance
      Jody is fine once in awhile but more than that is too much

34. Tracey Welch says:

Absolutely. More strong female roles and the power for the supernatural family behind it. We have been asking for this for a while. I will be a forever fan from the first minute it airs. #SPNFAMILY.

35. Gift says:

hmm can’t wait to see what the spin off brings. Not bad.

36. Jooshua says:

I hope Claire Novak and Alex Jones appear full time. They are some of my favorite characters, and them along with Sheriff Jody Mills are some of the few strong female characters who haven’t been killed. The fact that Eileen Leahy is gone now is SUPER disappointing! Can’t wait for this show.

37. Bonnie Pega says:

I’d watch it!

38. Jamie says:

Thank you! It’s about time they figured this out

39. Ninamags says:

So does this mean that Jody won’t be on regular Supernatural episodes anymore?

Cuz that would really suck.

I echo other peoples’ feelings: Claire is a horribly bratty, annoying person. CANNOT stand her.

As much as I like Jody I really can’t see myself tuning in for this. Good luck to them anyway.

40. Sam says:

Yes yes yes yes yes yes! THIS is the spinoff I’ve been dying for! Really hope this moves forward.

41. Nice! Just keep it nice and grounded (I’ve always preferred the style of Supernatural’s first season, like a horror movie every week) and this should be really cool. I think it’d be cool to have Mary jump between the two shows (assuming that we get her back, which I really want to see happen).

• makparis says:

The show has been stuck on the heaven/hell angle for awhile. Not that I don’t enjoy the mythology. It would be nice to get back to a larger variety of monsters and urban legends. This show would give fans that feeling again.

42. I would much rather the show be about the duo of Sheriffs Jody and Donna investigating supernatural crimes, and just because I know they can’t pass up the opportunity of trying to draw in the younger audience, Claire and Alex as secondary characters, not leads. As people have already commented, I also don’t care for Claire, and Alex is just meh for me. I feel they’ll be making a big mistake if they center it too much around these two girls, and they really need to revamp (no pun intended) their characters before including them at all. While I like the female-centric idea, they also need some male characters to help flesh out the stories; for instance a man (perhaps with a teenage son) with some kind of helpful skills could join in to help bring in a little romantic tension. I can see this having a Fargo-esque touch by taking place in the upper north woods region since I doubt these characters will be on the road constantly like Sam and Dean were, so perhaps a tracker or forest ranger and his son would be a good addition. I’m not that keen on the whole girls’ hunter school idea myself; I can see this being rather tedious myself and it would mean having to get to know a whole group of new characters who may or may not be interesting, and how are they going to work in killing monsters while training them all?

43. makparis says:

Finally!! I’ve been waiting for this spinoff. Jody, Claire and Alex is wonderful place to start and add Chrissy to the mix and you’ve got a great base for a great show. Love, love, love Jody and as long as Sheriff Donna gets to recur, then I can die happy and get to visit with Bobby in heaven.

44. Dj says:

This is the spinoff that a lot of Supernatural fans wanted. So I am down for it big time. I just hope they add Madison McLaughlin to it. She would fit in perfectly.

45. Anne says:

I’d watch the crap out of this!! Though, be nice if they had some women on the creative team :)

46. makparis says:

Something I wouldn’t mind seeing, probably not the best plan for a spin off, but maybe some online shorts: Kevin, Bobby and Ash in heaven just pissing off the angels. Osric’s busy running around with Dirk Gently and Jim is everywhere it seems. Still, it’s fun to imagine.

47. Hank says:

Shouldn’t this be filed under the “Well Duh” news section? They had the perfect set up for seasons now. As long as it doesn’t make the show runners get lazy with Supernatural, go for it.

Nothing can be as abysmal as that backdoor pilot they had before.

48. david says:

Will the girls kill monsters or just get them to express their feelings?

49. Pat says:

So happy to hear this. I love the character of Jodi Mills.I will be there front and center, watching it.