Pretty Little Liars Recap

Pretty Little Liars Recap: Charlotte's Killer Is (Finally) Revealed

With only two hours left in its run, Pretty Little Liars used its penultimate episode to answer one of its longest-standing mysteries: Who killed Charlotte DiLaurentis?

The Freeform drama has served up countless red herrings since Charlotte’s demise back in Season 6; practically every Rosewood resident from Melissa to Byron has been suspected at one point or another. But now, following a series of disturbing revelations, we know that Charlotte was killed by none other than… the exact person we all speculated it would be after seeing those sneak peek photos from tonight’s episode.

After cornering a frumpily dressed, psychologically reverted Mona in the bell tower, the girls got the full story from the night of Charlotte’s demise: Mona almost pushed Charlotte to her death after exchanging some less-than-kind words about their mutual identity crises. There was a struggle, and Charlotte’s neck was accidentally impaled by something sharp sticking out of the wall. (So Mona didn’t technically stab Charlotte, but I’m pretty sure a jury would convict her.)

In fact, why not just watch it play out?

But Mona isn’t the one who ended up paying for her crimes — not this week, anyway. On their way out of a graveyard, where they intended to hide Archer’s corpse, the Liars were literally bulldozed by Detective Tanner, who couldn’t have looked more thrilled to finally catch these meddling kids doing… something.

Fortunately, Mary Drake came through at the last minute, taking full credit for the Archer and Jessica’s murders. The only piece of information she wasn’t willing to fork over was the name of the accomplice who helped her make it look like Archer was still alive.

Elsewhere this week…

* Mary surprised Spencer and Alison with a “going away” gift: the deed to the Lost Woods Resort, which they can use to get money for the lawyers she knows they’ll need when s–t really hits the fan.

* Alison feared for the future of her baby, not wanting him or her to have a childhood like Charlotte’s; Emily insisted, “I won’t let them hurt you.”

* We finally got to see the “He’s coming for you” scene in Alison’s classroom play out in present day… only it turned out to be Emily’s dream. (Does anyone else feel kind of cheated?)

Did you predict Charlotte’s killer, or did PLL manage to pull one over on you? And what are your hopes for next week’s (gulp) series finale? Whatever’s on your mind, drop it in a comment below.

1. neetztalks says:

Come thru my hyper adrenalized queen

2. natalie rodger says:

aria and ezra wedding

3. Ben says:

I cannot wait for this show to be over so I never have to hear about it again. I used to be a huge fan, but now I can’t even watch it. It’s gotten so ridiculous and all I want to know is who AD is and why they are so dramatic.

• Cornelius says:

Agreed. It’s been an awful final season, and an even awful show as a whole. 1-2 were the better seasons wish I just watched those 2 and never watched anything others.

• Matt says:

I kind of realized there’s a serious problem last week. It either had to be Mona which would’ve been anticlimactic or it sucks. I am perfectly ok with how this week played out.

I don’t care that she killed charlotte. Mona is sick. I like characters like her that are flawed and try to be better but are relatable. She’s damaged but really tries to be a good person. People really don’t make it easy for her.

The thing I see that’s going to be as a major plot hole came to me when Mona was examining the game and pointed out it couldn’t be Lucas. I won’t believe anyone is smart enough to mastermind any of this crap. So if it’s not her? I guess that really only leaves Spencer…which makes me want to hit my head against a wall.

4. xomylifexo says:

Flash forwards should not be dream sequences. That’s just annoying.

• stevie says:

I really don’t think they knew what they were gonna do when they first filmed it, by the time they HAD to include it in the second to last episode(they were obviously stalling) they simply turned it into a dream sequence and left it at that.

5. dan says:

Mona? Yawn
    Hopefully the AD reveal will be more exciting. Probably not.

6. Kim says:

Can’t wait to be majorly disappointed next week by someone I’ve never heard of supposedly being AD.

7. stevie says:

Dr. Sullivan is A.D.

8. marissayah says:

all in all… I always knew Mona did it

9. Dianne zippelius says:

Marlene king lost her way with these episodes wow it’s like just get it done it really sucks when a show that use to be good goes out with a dud not bang I been hoping with every week hoping that it gets better well that isn’t going to happen and after this this show couldn’t come back no one would watch it Marlene king killed pretty little liars season 7 shame on you the big hype is a big flop . So you Marlene king you are AD you killed pretty little liars, shame on you for putting these episodes out like they were great you really wanted pll to be over no one wants more after this and to drag it out in 20 episodes when you could of wrapped this up in 2 I would of rather seen a short great last season then a long drawn out one that SUCKS sorry for the word it’s only was to describe this .Marlene king you should apologize to fans and pll I would never watch anything else that you wrote I think you are done time for you to retire

10. Tami says:

Could Dr Sullivan be AD?

• stevie says:

YES. That’s what I just said above. The girl that played Toby’s fiance said it’s someone that’s been around during every major reveal and it’s someone we’d never suspect. But once this person is outed, it’ll make sense. Dr. Sullivan makes perfect sense. Who would know more about the girl’s fear than her? At first you’d suspect Wren because of the book but they claim it’s too easy and Marlene wanted a twist so that must be it.

• stevie says:

And not only that…remember when Dr. Sullivan taught Hannah how to visualize Allison and talk to her in her office? That’s what Hannah must have done at the barn when she was held captive when a supposed Spencer helped her escape! Dr. Sullivan must have used some type of hypnosis and I could see Sullivan being Lucas’s mom! The actor said during an interview that Lucas IS in fact working with AD but to protect Hannah. Right under our noses.

• Noa says:

But dr. Sullivan kidnapped her own son ?? Considering the twist and turns this show gives for explanations and answers it is a possibility but who knows ! My bet is on wren and Melissa since they reappear in next weeks episode ..

• stevie says:

No. A kidnapped her son in season 2 while Mona was still A. Besides, just because she was handed an envelope in a restaurant doesn’t mean her son was kidnapped. That’s just the explanation she gave the liars when Mona was caught.

• Sherri says:

My newest theory is Det Tanner. She has been around during many reveals.

11. Melissa Friedrich says:

I have always wanted Melissa to be the one behind it all. It would make sense. I made my theory about her and it fits…thing is alot of people make sense as AD.

12. Gift says:

I feel cheated about the dream. Aria and Ezra’s wedding is all I want to see now.

13. kim says:

I think AD is kalop! Why, because he is smart with computers, phones and games etc and he is never around when the game was played or if they was all trapped somewhere. Then he pops out of no where saying ” I heard what happen y’all OK”. Just my opinion, or it could be page or Dr Sullivan.

14. Sydney says:

My guess is Paige!
    Alison used to bully her, I can’t remember if the girls used to bully her or not, and wasn’t she there for every major reveal? I’m not sure, but to me it makes sense! I’m excited to find out!

15. karenchurchy says:

Thank goodness you posted this article as i don’t have to watch it now. This season has been absolutely dreadful. Should have ended after the Charlotte story reveal

16. Klaroline says:

As long as it isn’t Dan Humphrey.

• kimbp says:

Bahaha best comment ever thank you !!! GG and PLL are so similar with how random they turned out though. Actually DO make that Dan Humphrey and then we’ll really have our minds blown BOOM

17. immortalsiren13 says:

I honestly don’t get what’s up with all the comments people post about hating the new episodes, that Marlene King killed PLL and that the series should’ve ended earlier. I mean, yeah, of course I’ve been disappointed about some of the stuff in 7B, but when following a TV show for 7 years you’re bound to have made up some plot twists yourself that doesn’t actually happen. If you do hate it so much- guess what? You can actually just choose to not watch the last episodes. You can choose to do something else for 45 minutes.

I have so many questions for the last episode, but I have a feeling most of then won’t ever be answered. Just like the majority of TV shows that ends. But I’m still so curious and so excited to see what the last episode tells me!

In my opinion: It’s obviously not Mona. Not Caleb either. I don’t think it’s Lucas anymore either though, because of what the actor said. Right now my best bet is either Spencer’s twin (wouldn’t surprise me if she had one, since her mom is a twin) or Dr. Sullivan.

Spencer having a twin makes sense if you think back when Hannah got a “visit” from “Spencer” when she was locked inside the barn, AND when Ezra met “Spencer” in the airport when she was with Wren. First of all, she acted different. Second of all- she wanted Ezra to keep quiet about seeing her there with Wren. Maybe that’s because our Spencer wasn’t really there? Wouldn’t surprise me if Spencer’s twin was just as mad as Charlotte on everyone.. (Also the doctor who delivered Spencer talked about how the first kid was easy to deliver compared to the other kid).

• stevie says:

The only problem I had was 6B. There was a point around there when Marlene wasn’t involved as much because of her focus in getting Famous In Love off the ground and you could tell. 6B was a bore, it was really streched out. Virtually nothing happened as if the other EP’s weren’t allowed to mske a big decision on the show. But since the last episode of 7A, where Spencer was shot and Noel Kahn died it really picked up and was true to form. I’ve loved the last several episodes.

• lauri5567 says:

Spencer was Mary’s second kid, Charles was her first.

18. Sarah J says:

These reveals have been less satisfying than I’d hoped.

19. stevie says:

Just a casual observation but were those mug shots of the liars on lieutenant Tanner’s desk the most pristine photos you’ve ever seen? Lol. Great hair and everything. Rosewood pd really excels at the oddest things; they can’t capture a criminal but they can capture your skin in the best light : )

20. Jade says:

anyone else notice that all the people the Liars have killed were done either by accident or self defense? (Emily/Nate-self defense; Aria/Shana-self defense; Hanna/Archer Dunhill-accident; Noel- accident/self-defense; Mona- Charlotte self defense) The crime however is that they lied or covered it up like actually pushing Charlotte off the church tower.

Also if someone literally stole the game from Mona then how did the girls get it back at the end of this week’s episode?

21. Elyse says:

Did anyone else notice that Det. Tanner had some kind of mark on her wrist? It kind of looked like a scar or a burn or something.