The Ranch Premiere Recap: Baby Talk, Plus Another '70s Show Reunion

Consider it a very early Christmas gift.

In the Part 3 premiere of The Ranch, Ashton Kutcher is reunited with former That ’70s Show costar Debra Jo Rupp. Playing mother to Elisha Cuthbert’s Abby, Mrs. Phillips proves not too fond of Colt in wake of her daughter’s decision to end her engagement to Kenny.

Disapproving ‘rents are the least of Colt’s problems, though. Picking up immediately where last season left off, Heather shows up on Colt’s porch to tell him that she’s pregnant with his child. Having planned on proposing to Abby, Colt is practically at a loss for words, which makes things especially difficult when he needs to make small talk with Abby’s dad (Supernatural‘s Jim Beaver) ahead of Christmas Eve mass.

The episode’s best scene immediately follows, as Beau wakes up on Christmas morning to find a teary-eyed Colt sitting at the breakfast table. After the typically stern rancher gifts Colt with a scrapbook he made compiling every article about the former football player’s career, Colt tells his dad that Heather is pregnant. This leads to a warm exchange between father and son, after Colt confides in Beau that he’s worried about losing Abby. Beau ultimately gives Colt the best advice he can, and that’s to make sure that his unborn child becomes his priority.

Colt eventually goes to meet Heather and tells her that they’ll make great parents. He then proceeds to take out the engagement ring he had bought for Abby and tries to propose to Heather, at which point she tells her well-meaning ex that she wants to have an abortion. As such, we’re left on another cliffhanger, but that’s the great thing about Netflix: We don’t have to wait to see where things pick up in Episode 2!

What did you think of The Ranch‘s Part 3 premiere? Grade the episode via our poll.

1. sarah31733 says:

This show has improved a lot since the first chapter. I hope it continues that with Chapter 3

2. Looking good so far. Already on episode 4. Good to see a Two and a Half Men reunion with Berta on there too.

3. Geunit says:

The ranch has got to be one of the bestime TV shows I’ve ever watched hope they keep the series going .

4. Tom says:

There is something great about how this show blends drama into comedy. At times it feels entirely one or the other, and I think its better for it. I love how their storylines are fairly grounded as well.

5. Dick Wolf says:

I watched … please note past tense because it was a comedy…. did the writer say get fired… now it hits on very heavy issues that we deal with in real life…HELLO! We watch comedies for escape… not pro choice… lost of jobs… etc. So sad … had potential.. my friends and i have ceased to watch.

6. AprilJo says:

Another great season! Bring on Part 4!

7. Carol Snider says:

Would be awesome plzzzzz lose the laugh track for this reason i cant hardly stand to watch it it does not need a laugh track its irritating

8. tanya531 says:

I like the show but I can’t stand the Abby character… Abby/Colt have absolutely no chemistry at all.. I prefer the Heather character, not necessarily as a romantic partner for anyone, but as an all around better character..

9. Renee says:

I tried watching this show and the problem is, its so way of base about real ranchers and how ranching is done and especially the incorrect vocabulary for the generation in which Beau Bennett (Sam Elliott) came. I’ve traveled and known many rancher family’s from different states and grew up in ranching territory myself and I’ve never heard the older generation talk like the younger generation with (WTF!) in every sentence. No, they would say (WTH!) In all my years and I’m 63, have I never heard a Cowboy use that term except for a few of the younger generation. The (WTF) shock value really didn’t become popular with County Western type people until the late 80s. So this vocabulary is inconsistent with the Beau character who is the UNCHANGABLE old fashioned type of cowboy. Every cowboy I ever knew for 2 generations since 1970 used decent language in front of females, and it was not typical for females in ranching territory to talk that way at all. So its inconsistant with Beau’s wife/exwife..Debra Winger’s vocabulary also. Insemination a herd of cows? Where I come from, we use Bulls! and only inseminate to cross a breed or to upgrade a bloodline. GEEZ! The show portrays an insulting example who ranchers really are. I cannot even turn it on anymore.