Scott Pelley Anchors CBS Evening News for the Final Time — Watch His Goodbye

It’s the end of an era at CBS News.

Scott Pelley signed off as anchor of the CBS Evening News on Friday, ending his six-year run as the face of the long-running news show. In a final goodbye at the end of the broadcast, Pelley expressed his hope that his show had been “something of a lighthouse for you, to help you with your bearings in a stormy world” before sincerely thanking his colleagues.

He also gave a warm welcome to incoming anchor Anthony Mason, who takes over the CBS Evening News anchor’s chair on Monday — “The broadcast will have never been better” — and reminded viewers that he’ll still be seen on the network’s Sunday night newsmagazine 60 Minutes.

News of Pelley’s departure broke last month, noting that he’ll join 60 Minutes as a full-time correspondent when it returns for its landmark 50th season this fall. Pelley joined the CBS Evening News in 2011, taking over for Katie Couric.

Press PLAY on the video above to watch Pelley’s goodbye, then hit the comments: Will you miss him?

1. truespeake says:

CBS better honor Scott pellet. If not…hello Lester Holt!

2. Laurie says:

I wish you would have put his sign off from Thursday. It was wonderful!

• maggie says:

Yes, but they don’t want class anymore, but sensationalism. News has become more like entertainment, showing anything that has a video, from car crashes to pets doing something unusual. No in-depth coverage of things that matter to the lives of Americans is provided, only superficial coverage. Pelley tried to do real news, but that’s not what networks want. At least the networks haven’t sunk to the lows of cable news, which primarily is about idiots yelling talking points at each other. At least Pelley will still be on 60 Minutes, one of the few in-depth news programs left.

3. Dorothy says:

Omg, I hadn’t heard that Scott Pelly was leaving! I guess nothing good last forever.
    He will be missed…
    I wish him the very best in all his endeavors.

4. Elaine says:

I am devestated that Scott Pelley will no longer be Anchor for the CBS Evening News. We looked forward to Scott’s professional, classy and real reporting.

5. Esther Hatton says:

I enjoyed his professionalism & his warmth & compassion. I will miss him!

6. Couchmom says:

Walter Winchell – Tom Brokaw – Chet Huntley and David Brinkley – Walter Cronkite – those were TV news men. Told the news honestly and could be trusted. They are just a few who come to mind, I’m sure there are more. At least will get to see Scott Pelley on 60 min.

7. R Glass says:

Out family will miss Scott Pelley on the evening news. The network made a big mistake removing him from the evening news. In an ever-changing world, Scott Pelly was reassuring in his presentation and heartfelt comments.

I will no longer be watching the CBS evening news, but will instead view other networks.

Mrs. G

8. BONNIE & EDDID HROMCIK says:

SO SORRY TO HEAR OF ,SCOTT LEAVING CBS EVENING NEWS. WE ALWAYS LOOKED FORWARD TO HIS REPORTING. BUT, ANTHONY MASON WILL BE A GREAT NEWS ANCHOR TO REPLACE SCOTT. BLESSINGS TO BOTH MEN………..

9. Peggy says:

Well that means I will be looking for another nightly news. I love CBS and have watched it for years but I don’t approve of this getting rid of Scott Pelley. I thought he was about the best you could get and he will be missed.

10. Corky says:

Can’t say I watched him often but he was good. Lately I’ve been leaning toward David Muir because Holt has become insufferable.

11. mberghelli@yahoo.com says:

i AM SORRY TO SEE SCOTT LEAVE THE CBS NEWS , I ENJOYED LISTENING TO HIM EVERYNIGHT AFTER MY LOCAL NEWS BUT I WILL STILL WATCH THE CBS NEWS I WISH SCOTT LOTS OF LUCK.

12. It is harder and harder to watch network news because of the constant pro left bias. I could watch and respect Scott Pelley, but with him gone no more CBS News .Good job Scott take heart many will still watch you on 60 min.

13. Diane vaught says:

I was sadden by this news. I invited Scott Pelley into my home every evening Monday thru Friday. He will be added to the list of greats who are so sadly missed. Walter Cronkite, Peter Jennings Diane Sawyer now Scott Pelley. Good luck CBS you have no one waiting in the wings who can fill these shoes.

14. Beachbum says:

We watch all three networks national news to compare stories and facts and he was the best. Always made us laugh a little in this very unfunny world and we felt he was the most honest. Wish you had Thursdays sign off also, it was amazing and have looked but can’t find it anywhere on the net to watch it again. We hope it was his choice to leave, otherwise they have made a huge mistake. We will really miss him.

15. Ann says:

I don’t understand why he is leaving the news–I haven’t seen any explanation that makes sense, since he’s not retiring. However, Anthony Mason is another class act so that’s a good thing. You might want to give him a shot before going to the other networks.

16. LT says:

Big mistake CBS…HUGE!

17. Tony says:

This is not good bye… this is good riddance.

18. Linda gieser says:

I looked forward to watching Mr. Pelley deliver the news, regardless of the devastation, that he had to report. I will miss him, but knowing He will be on 60 Minutes, makes it a little bit easier to accept. I wish you well Mr. Pelley, GOOD LUCK TO YOU! We’ll see you on Sunday!!!!