Fall TV Preview

Gospel of Kevin Recast: Vice Principals' Kimberly Hébert Gregory Takes Over Divine Role, Replacing Cristela Alonzo

ABC’s Gospel is undergoing a significant tweak.

Vice Principals standout Kimberly Hébert Gregory (a TVLine Dream Nominee) has replaced Cristela Alonzo in ABC’s new drama The Gospel of Kevin.

The series (watch the trailer here) revolves around Jason Ritter’s Jason, a cluelessly self-serving person on a dangerous path to despair. In a downward spiral, Kevin returns home to stay with his widowed twin sister (JoAnna Garcia Swisher) and niece. On his first night there, an unlikely celestial being named Yvette (now played by Gregory) appears to him and presents him with a mission — to save the world.

Yvette is described as “a drill sergeant with divine authority.”

In addition to HBO’s Vice Principals, which has already shot its second and final season, Gregory has guest starred on Better Call Saul, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Devious Maids and The Big Bang Theory.

The Gospel of Kevin will air Tuesdays at 10/9c beginning this fall.

1. neetztalks says:

Why did they replace Cristela?

• Haz says:

I could have sworn she tweeted that the show was picked up but she would not be continuing and was being recast. I’m not sure if she said why but I think she tweeted about it in May.

• Derek says:

Because she isn’t that good of an actress, while Kimberly Hébert Gregory is a powerhouse.

2. Tony says:

Christela is why I was going to watch

3. Matty Si says:

I love Cristela! But are they going to reshoot the pilot then! Or at least those scenes?

4. maltru says:

Nothing against her, but this makes me way less likely to even try Gospel of Kevin. Based on the trailer, I thought Cristela seemed perfect for the part.

5. Phil says:

Haven’t seen Vice-Principals, but from this photo alone, she looks like she’ll have a softer edge than Cristela. Cristela, who I really enjoy and really liked in the trailer (her stepping in front of that truck is AWESOME), has a definite harsh/blunt edge to her. Which is why she’s so funny.
    Still excited for this show.

6. Me says:

I love cristela. Loved her show and her stand up. I’ve even seen her live. Thought she seemed mediocre in the trailer. Saw a few episodes of vice principles and kimberly hebert gregory was wonderful in it. Think she’d actually be a better fit in this role.

7. Thomas says:

Well this is one less show to DVR. Was going to tune in just for Cristela. Shame on ABC for letting her go twice. Maybe Netflix can create a show for her. Or have her team join One Day at a Time??

8. E. D. Boddy says:

This show had been a “maybe” for me, mostly because of Cristela. Now, not so much.