Emmys

Emmys 2017: Lead Actress, Limited Series or Movie — Our 6 Dream Nods

Three of the six women on our latest Dream Emmy roster have at least one Oscar statue resting on their mantels. And two of the remaining three have been nominated for cinema’s highest honor. That should give you a good idea of how insanely stacked this year’s Lead Actress in a Limited Series or Movie race is.

That’s our roundabout way of warning you that this wish list contains some noteworthy — and painful — omissions.

To see which performers made the cut, flip through the gallery to the right — or click here for direct access — and then weigh in with your own Dream Emmy nominations in the comments.

For the record, Emmy voting is currently underway and will wrap up on June 26. The nominations themselves will be unveiled on July 13. Meanwhile, the 69th Primetime Emmy Awards ceremony, hosted by Late Show frontman Stephen Colbert, is set to air on Sunday, Sept. 17 on CBS.

Scroll down for links to our previous Dream Emmy categories:

Outstanding Drama Series — Our 7 Dream Emmy Picks
Outstanding Lead Actress, Drama — Our 6 Dream Emmy Picks
Outstanding Lead Actor, Drama — Our 6 Dream Emmy Picks
Outstanding Supporting Actress, Drama — Our 6 Dream Emmy Picks
Outstanding Supporting Actor, Drama — Our 6 Dream Emmy Picks
Outstanding Comedy Series — Our 7 Dream Emmy Picks
Outstanding Lead Actress, Comedy — Our 7 Dream Emmy Picks
Outstanding Lead Actor, Comedy — Our 7 Dream Emmy Picks
Outstanding Supporting Actress, Comedy — Our 6 Dream Emmy Picks
Outstanding Supporting Actor, Comedy — Our 6 Dream Emmy Picks
Outstanding Limited Series — Our 6 Dream Emmy Picks

1. RD says:

Nicole Kidman can’t be beat in this category in my book.

• TJ says:

I agree and it is a tough year to win because Lange, Witherspoon and Coon were all very strong too. There was just something about Kidman’s performance that was just a little bit more compelling. IMO, it is because she showed how hard it was to just leave the situation.

• Heiko says:

Jessica Lange FTW. She was just amazing. Many people will not agree with me, but I thought Reese Witherspoon gave the bestt performance in Big Little Lies.

2. A.J. says:

The episodes you reference in the Lauren Graham section are incorrect. Her phone call with Emily was in Fall, not Winter as it says.

3. Sasha says:

Freida Pinto mops the floor with all of them but she has no name recognition so she ain’t getting nominated. That’s the Emmys for y’all.

4. James says:

No Carrie Coon and no Susan Sarandon… Huh

5. Eric7740 says:

LAUREN GRAHAM, LAUREN GRAHAM, LAUREN GRAHAM!!!! That is all!

6. ladyluck527 says:

No Susan Sarandon?

7. Danyelle says:

I’m torn on Feud. Lange has all the buzz but I felt like Sarandon was “more” Bette. Lange didn’t look or sound a bit like the real Joan.

8. Esteban says:

I know Ausello has a soft spot for all things Gilmore but i will *respectfully* :) IMO swap Sarandon for Graham. Love TVline tho!

• John says:

Exactly what I came on to say! I lol’d when I saw Graham. No disrespect to her, I’m a huge fan, but no way she will (or should) be nominated over Sarandon.

9. MrScreenAddict says:

Your Gilmore Girls bias is showing. No way Lauren Graham should get in, as delightful as she is, over Susan Sarandon’s fierce performance as Bette Davis. Also, please swap out Oprah for Carrie Coon in Fargo and you’ve got an unbeatable lineup.

• Sara says:

I think Lauren Graham has a good chance of getting nominated because of the nostalgia factor and because a lot of people seem to think she is a perpetual snub. Does she *deserve* to be nominated…ehhhh…I would say others are more worthy.

• Jorf says:

Also, there always has to be at least one TV Movie nominee in these categories. Oprah is defs getting a nomination.

10. John036 says:

Replace Graham for Coon and Sarandon for Winfrey (I haven’t seen The Secret Life of Henrietta Lacks so I don’t know about her performance).

• Shaun says:

This is for Limited Series,Coon will be in Lead Actress for Drama.

• MrScreenAddict says:

Like many people on this comment thread, I’m assuming John036 is referring to Carrie Coon’s performance in Fargo (limited series) rather than The Leftovers (drama series). She definitely deserves to be nominated for both, though.

• Ron says:

I think John036 might be talking about Carrie Coon being nominated for Fargo here, not The Leftovers. The Leftovers will compete in the Drama race. But I’m pretty sure Fargo competes in the Limited Series race because of its anthology style. And yes, I think Coon should be nominated for both.

• lechatnoir says:

my money is on felicity Hoffman . nicole I just can’t read her. Oprah can hold her own in this cat

11. Stop trying to make Gilmore Girls happen, ok maybe the revival wasn’t so bad (cough, cough), but it was far from being outstandind, it’s not gonna happen. Besides you have Carrie Coon and Susan Sarandon, I ean they deserve the nomination more than Graham

12. Julie says:

No Elizabeth Moss/Handmaid’s Tale?

13. Ronnie says:

This is the toughest category without a doubt. I think Sarandon could take Graham’s nod because they can’t nominate Lange without her. But maybe this category will get that bump of a 7th nominee because the voting will be so close.

14. sporcleqlh27 says:

I adore Lauren Graham. I really do. But Susan Sarandon deserves that slot more.

15. LT says:

I was torn between Sarandon and Lange until I realized Sarandon kept slipping in and out of Sarandon and Davis…while Lange maintained consistency and was Crawford the whole time. So out of the two…Lange deserves the nod.

16. Jared says:

Big Little Lies ftmfw!!!!

17. Ron says:

The Limited Series categories, cumulatively, are some of the most toughest categories this Emmys season. I feel like not too long ago, these categories had a very clear cut winner because there’d be one, maybe two, absolutely clear cut, brilliant performances, and the other nominees were place holders. Now, the past several years, these have become some of the most competitive categories. I would make the argument that this particular category is the toughest of all. But in my mind, this is Nicole’s award. Limited series or not, that was one of the best performances I’ve seen from any series, from any actor–male or female–all year.

18. Jec says:

I highly doubt Lauren Graham is getting nominated. I like her a lot but this category has a lot of excellent performances that came from excellent shows. Gilmore Girls wasn’t a good show. Which will put her at a disadvantage.

19. fernando933 says:

This is Jessica Lange win hands down

20. Cate says:

Such a strong category. I’d put in Susan Sarandon for Lauren Graham. Didn’t watch American Crime Story so don’t know about Huffman.

I love Carrie Coon but in many ways Mary Elizabeth Winstead is giving the more eye opening performance in Fargo this year.

So hard to choose between heart breaking Kidman, hilarious sassy Witherspoon, emotionally powerful Winfrey, brittle but brilliant Lange.

21. Celeste says:

No other performance, male or female, lead or support, in a. series or limited, this year on tv, comes even close to Nicole Kidman’s.

22. Mr. Myxzlpltzk says:

Nicole Kidman hands down!