Emmys

Emmys 2017: Outstanding Limited Series — Our 6 Dream Nominees

The 2017 Emmy race for Outstanding Limited Series is a veritable embarrassment of riches — and, unlike last year with People v. O.J., there is no clear frontrunner.

Unfortunately, the new-ish Academy rule that expanded the Outstanding Drama and Comedy series categories from six to seven nominees has yet to extend to the Limited Series field, which made narrowing down our list of Dream picks especially challenging.

To see which miniseries made the cut, flip through the gallery to the right — or click here for direct access — and then weigh in with your own Dream Emmy nominations in the comments.

For the record, Emmy voting is currently underway and will wrap up on June 26. The nominations themselves will be unveiled on July 13. Meanwhile, the 69th Primetime Emmy Awards ceremony, hosted by Late Show frontman Stephen Colbert, is set to air on Sunday, Sept. 17 on CBS.

Scroll down for links to our previous Dream Emmy categories:

Outstanding Drama Series — Our 7 Dream Emmy Picks
Outstanding Lead Actress, Drama — Our 6 Dream Emmy Picks
Outstanding Lead Actor, Drama — Our 6 Dream Emmy Picks
Outstanding Supporting Actress, Drama — Our 6 Dream Emmy Picks
Outstanding Supporting Actor, Drama — Our 6 Dream Emmy Picks
Outstanding Comedy Series — Our 7 Dream Emmy Picks
Outstanding Lead Actress, Comedy — Our 7 Dream Emmy Picks
Outstanding Lead Actor, Comedy — Our 7 Dream Emmy Picks
Outstanding Supporting Actress, Comedy — Our 6 Dream Emmy Picks
Outstanding Supporting Actor, Comedy — Our 6 Dream Emmy Picks

1. Matt says:

Agree on all counts. This is a tough category!

2. Lauren says:

The acting on Fargo has been fantastic. I am in love with Mary Elizabeth Winstead and Carrie Coon. I’ve never seen The Leftovers so Carrie wasn’t on my radar and I have missed out! But I don’t know if the story has been as past seasons. Gillmore Girls I feel similarly about. Lauren Graham needs acknowledgement for the work she did as well as Kelly Bishop. I don’t know if the whole thing really blew me away. I’m betting The Night Of gets it. Great acting. Great story. Timely.

3. Vani says:

A year in the life sucked! Emily was the only good storyline. The new guest stars where wasted. We wanted more of the townsfolk. And rory was just a horrible person.

• Steven says:

And Emily’s storyline was only out of necessity. The rest of it was pretty poorly done. It was a character assassination of Rory and Logan.

4. Alicia says:

Young Pope

5. fernando933 says:

FUED needs to win this

6. Mike says:

I disagree about Big Little Lies and think AHS Roanoke should be included instead.

7. Lisa Echerd says:

Well somebody was watching the Gilmore Girls from a different vantage point than I was. It was so poorly done on so many levels – too many musical numbers, that ridiculously long, useless town play with an actress who didn’t belong in the revival at all, how all the sacrifice to give Rory an education was a huge waste given what she was doing with her life, one scenes each with key characters, and the return of that baseball cap that should have been burned during the first series.

8. Eric7740 says:

Although I know it will never happen…. Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life, at least deserves a nomination. We all know, Big Little Lies is going to win, but at least acknowledge a series that gave TRUE fans what they wanted…. closure. Thank you ASP for our Gilmore Girls, I loved every minute of it. Kudos to Lauren Graham and Emily Bishop!!!

9. Juke says:

Except for Gilmore Girls, I think you’ve got the nominees they will really pick. The Academy has never seemed to think Gilmore Girls deserves any recognition and I really doubt they’ll change their minds now. Where does The Leftovers go when it comes to categories, though? That was amazing and mind-blowing and deserves a whole lot of awards. It would be really deserved if Carrie Coon got nominations for BOTH shows.

• Juke says:

I went to check and Leftovers is apparently in the Drama Series category, not Limited Series. That means Carrie Coon can get two nominations in different categories and The Leftover doesn’t have to compete in the stacked Limited Series category. Best Drama isn’t that much better, but maybe The Leftovers has a shot. Maybe.

10. Brian says:

Are there 6 nominees in this category? There were only 5 the last 2 years and Gold Derby’s prediction lists only have 5 for this year.

11. kirads09 says:

Agree with The Night Of – exceptional
    I MUST put in a word for Emerald City. Really great performances from main cast throughout. Especially Vincent D’Onofrio’s “Wizard” and Ana Ularu – WEST – stole the entire show in my opinion.

12. People, especially those at TVLine need to accept the fact that GG A Year in the Life was just not that good

• Jennifer says:

I am so with you on that. I know that Michael has a soft spot for GG, but IMO the revival was horrible. I did not like what they did to Rory or to Emily. It shined a light on the series that I hadn’t seen before. There is nothing redeeming about any of the characters. I can no longer watch the original series.

• april-ann says:

I agree. I have just recently been able to watch the original series again, with hesitation. Funny the episodes I keep rewatching are all in season 7, which I really like now. The more I watch the more I can forget a year in the life ever happened. It should not be nominated for anything. I think the TV Line team knows how horrible it was (they’d have to) and more and more I’m thinking it must be a running in-joke to them to always have to praise it. Though they did manage a little dig with “a revival that not only meets are expectations but surpasses them…”. Lol.

13. Morgan says:

I’ll probably be going to my grave insisting that Gilmore Girls’s legacy began to be tarnished with season six, not seven. ASP does bear some responsibility for what happened back then. Also, I think you missed the core theme of Big Little Lies in your reasons for why it was so spellbinding. It took the stereotype of backstabbing women (which there legitimately was in the series), but instead put the importance on female friendships. That wasn’t just riveting, but refreshing as well.

14. The Beach says:

Hmmm, I though this was the weakest of the three season of ACS. Huffman was great but the writing was totally out of sync. I’ve never watched Gilmore Girls so no opinion. Big Little Lies, Feud and The Night Of were all terrific and I would be happy with any of those three winning.

15. Mr. Myxzlpltzk says:

Big Little Lies!!!

16. MrMank says:

I actually enjoyed AHS: Roanoke more than previous seasons, but it is kind of refreshing to see it not on this list. I hope the academy puts as much thought into their picks as TVLine did.

17. Kyle says:

A close race but surely it can only go to Big Little Lies? – it was a tremendous series from start to finish, brilliant twists, excellent chemistry between the cast and well, it was perfect

18. Riley says:

All the awards in all the land to Big Little Lies. To me it was storytelling and casting perfection. This and Stranger Things have been my favorite two things on TV in the last year.

19. Gilmore Girls ain’t happening. I love the show as much as the next guy, and the revival was barely watchable. On the other hand American Crime definetely deserves the nomination

20. N says:

The Night of…. was great

21. Cate says:

Every year American Horror Story gets nominated, even when it has been a huge mess a lot’of times. I thought Roanoke was the best since Asylum and the twist half way really worked for me.

Feud was brilliantly made and acted but not sure it had enough through plot for the entire run. Ditto The Night Of that for me ended weakly

Big Little Lies should win this category I think. What looks like it would be a whiny rich people show, ended up being so much more complex. Witherspoon and Kidman have never been better, even when winning Oscars!

22. Lyndy says:

I agree with every actress except for Gilmore Girls…it was a good revival but definitely nowhere near Emmy worthy…and I’m surprised the show would even submit themselves for Emmy consideration.

23. John036 says:

Arent’ tv movies also included in this category? If so, it’s weird that they weren’t included

24. Gail says:

NOPE NOPE NOPE on AYITL. Nice try pimping for your friends in GGLand, but that revival was one of the worst pieces of crap I have ever seen. And I’ve seen A LOT of bad tv in my day. The story lines and plot points were idiotic, the ASP trademark “witty banter” was dull and forced, the dialogue was cringe-worthy, the acting was largely meh and the character “development” – are you KIDDING me? Come ON, TVLIne, try to have some journalistic integrity here. Really? AYITL exceeded your expectations? You mean as connoisseurs of quality tv, or as die-hard GG junkies? Either way, you must have some pretty, pretty, pretty low expectations. Or maybe you’re just not being that impartial in this case?

25. Erin says:

Why the Gilmore girls hate lol. Y’all are nuts the revival was perfect.

• Hannah says:

Perfect? Lmao some of my friends are the biggest Gilmore Girls fans alive, and every single one of them talked about how poorly done the revival was. Just a mess.

• Gail says:

It’s not so much hate as it it NOT blind love. Looking at it impartially, the revival was awful all around, period, and while I get that some die-hard fans will just never be able to see or accept that, I would hope that the professionals here at TVLine would see past their personal biases and alliances in their postings. Speaking of which, I see you guys actually deleted my previous comment, urging you to show some journalistic integrity and impartiality in the case of AYITL. How’s that for irony?? Point made, I guess. I hope you don’t remove this post too, TvLIne. I didn’t curse or talk about my relatives’ income or anything! I’m ready to “talk smart about TV” if you are, even if it hurts your friends’ feelings (or emmy nom chances).

26. Mark says:

Where is Katherine Langford as Hannah Baker in 13 Reasons Why if any one show has had the planet talking its this one or arent the Emmys ready for Netflix shows yet