Emmys

Emmys 2017: Supporting Actor, Comedy — Our 6 Dream Nominees

Fact: Alec Baldwin’s sendup of President Trump on Saturday Night Live this season was often uproarious. Fact: Alec Baldwin is not one of our Dream Emmy picks for Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series.

How we were able to reconcile both of those statements? Easy. We scanned the #PeakTV landscape and rounded up six performances that we believe were more nuanced, varied and consistent than Emmy frontrunner Baldwin’s relatively one-note POTUS shtick (as funny as that one note was).

Flip through the gallery to the right — or click here for direct access — to view our picks, and then weigh in with your own nominations below.

For the record, Emmy voting is currently underway and will wrap up on June 26. The nominations themselves will be unveiled on July 13. Meanwhile, the 69th Primetime Emmy Awards ceremony, hosted by Late Show frontman Stephen Colbert, is set to air on Sunday, Sept. 17 on CBS.

Scroll down for links to our previous Dream Emmy categories:

Outstanding Drama Series — Our 7 Dream Emmy Picks
Outstanding Lead Actress, Drama — Our 6 Dream Emmy Picks
Outstanding Lead Actor, Drama — Our 6 Dream Emmy Picks
Outstanding Supporting Actress, Drama — Our 6 Dream Emmy Picks
Outstanding Supporting Actor, Drama — Our 6 Dream Emmy Picks
Outstanding Comedy Series — Our 7 Dream Emmy Picks
Outstanding Lead Actress, Comedy — Our 7 Dream Emmy Picks
Outstanding Lead Actor, Comedy — Our 7 Dream Emmy Picks
Outstanding Supporting Actress — Our 6 Dream Picks

1. nhogan47 says:

I’d be happy with anyone from Silicon Valley in this category, but especially Zach Woods and/or TJ Miller.

And of course, the only one omitted that I would love to see nominated is Andre Braugher.

2. Brian says:

No Alec Baldwin?

3. So many great Ensembles in comedy that picking just one from shows like VEEP, Silicon Valley, Brooklyn 99 and others is almost impossible. I would love to see Zach Woods or Timothy Simons win, knowing that TJ Miller or Matt Walsh are equally deserving. Also, Andrew Rannells and Titus Burress would be deserving as well. Gosh, this is definitely going to suck for a lot of great actors that gave outstanding performances this year.

4. Tenney says:

I would love to see Mark McKinney from Superstore get a nod. He is hilarious as Glenn.

5. Bob says:

i would like to see Charlie McDermott be nominated. this season was the year of axl and McDermott has given him many layers to his character.

6. Mr. Myxzlpltzk says:

Titus for the win!

7. Kristina says:

YES TITUS!!!

8. matty says:

Love the mentions for Timothy Simons and Andrew Rannells, they are among my dream nominees too.

My dream nominees are:

Timothy Simons, VEEP
    Andrew Rannels, Girls
    Simon Helberg, The Big Bang Theory
    Reed Scott, VEEP
    Garrett Dillahunt, The Mindy Project
    Alex Karpovsky, Girls

9. Jenna says:

I feel like it’s a longshot, but I would love to see some love for Lakeith Stanfield or Brian Tyree Henry for Atlanta.

10. Charles says:

After today, I believe his portrayal should be shunned, not accepted and not celebrated.
    Dehumanizing the president as a caricature led to the shooting today. especially what Bernie Sanders said not two days ago. this has got to stop

• Ron says:

Your comment is hyperbolic. The shooting is, of course, atrocious. But SNL has satirically portrayed presidents since the show began. Dehumanizing is not Alec Baldwin impersonating Trump in a ridiculous (though not really far off) manner. Dehumanizing is people transforming Obama’s image into an ape for 8 years, hanging him in effigy and setting him on fire. Let’s gain perspective. Satire doesn’t need to stop because of a deranged lunatic.

11. ndixit says:

Andre Braugher(B99) should never be excluded from this list. I’d include Terry Crews this season too.

12. LAwoman says:

So many good potential nominees! My faves–
    Louie Anderson
    Timothy Simons
    Andrew Rannells
    Any of the guys from Silicon Valley getting nominated would make me happy.

13. richard says:

I would not be surprised if Micah Fowler (JJ on “Speechless”) received a nomination.

14. The Beach says:

Timothy Simon’s Jonah keeps me laughing while shaking my head at everything he says so he would get my vote. But Titus was pretty hilarious in the Lemonade and cruise ship episodes.

15. Patty Stamps says:

Zach Woods and Timothy Simons make Sunday nights my favorite!

16. jeanna says:

I feel like this has to be Titus’s year! He’s just brilliant. He can make you laugh out loud and then tear up in the same episode. Go Tituss!