Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt Renewed Season 4 Netflix

Kimmy Schmidt Renewed for Season 4

It’s alive, dammit: Netflix has renewed Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt for a fourth season, the streaming service announced on Tuesday.

Kimmy stars Ellie Kemper as the naive survivor of a doomsday cult who moves to New York to start her life after 15 years stuck in an underground bunker. The supporting cast includes Tituss Burgess as Kimmy’s aspiring-actor roommate Titus, Jane Krakowski as her filthy rich former employer Jacqueline, and Carol Kane as her wacky landlord Lillian.

Season 3 of Kimmy debuted on Netflix last month, with all 13 episodes dropping on May 19. The series, co-created by Tina Fey and 30 Rock alum Robert Carlock, was originally developed at NBC, but moved over to Netflix before it made it to air. Since then, it’s racked up a total of eleven Emmy nominations, including two for Outstanding Comedy Series.

The show is also a haven for celebrity guest stars: Season 3 included turns from Jon Hamm, Josh Charles, Ray Liotta, Maya Rudolph, Daveed Diggs and Laura Dern.

Are you excited to see more of Kimmy and Titus? Drop your thoughts on the renewal in a comment below.

1. Eric7740 says:

“But Females are strong as HELL!!!”

2. Vani says:

Nbc goofs again

• Ann says:

I don’t think so. It probably would have been cancelled due to low ratings by now if it had aired on NBC. The show is too quirky, the humor isn’t broad enough to capture a large audience. Netflix is a good spot for it, they don’t care about ratings.

• GregJ. says:

I agree. That’s why I wish, “Crazy Ex-Girlfriend” was on Netflix. I think that would’ve been the perfect home for it.

• abz says:

Given that they just cancelled Sense8 without even a wrap up special or anything ☹️😭, it seems like Netflix is probably gonna start caring about ratings.

• Billy Bob Johnson says:

Agreed. It never would have lasted this long on a broadcast network. Then again, I said the same thing about Two Broke Girls after watching the first episode of Season 1.

3. Tribal Mischief says:

I’m aware its a complete Apples to Butternut Squash comparison but Season 3 of unbreakable was virtually unwatchable and I say that as someone who has rewatched seasons 1 & 2 at least six times. Meanwhile Sense8 which had some of the most amazing television moments of the year is cancelled. That being said I get that Sense8 was probably well over four times the cost per episode but even so…. damn.

• Sharon says:

I’ve only watched episode 1&2 of season 3 so far but I just didn’t find them as good. I had a hard time paying attention.

• Jared says:

Me too. I really loved the first 2 seasons but the schtick is getting kind of old. I only watched the first few episodes on season 3 and needless to say I’m underwhelmed.

• Billy Bob Johnson says:

Something in the tone of the show has changed between seasons 2 and 3. I realize the premise of the show is “a fish out of water”, but she should be swimming just fine by now.

• DV says:

Sense8 was terrible in my opinion and I love genre shows like that. It’s annoying and rather old now for people to come in and trash others shows simply because something they liked didn’t make it.

• Tribal Mischief says:

DV, I’m not trashing unbreakable because of Sense8. I did relate the two after acknowledging they were entirely different things. Unbreakable was awful this year. It just was and this site along with virtually every reviewing group out there agrees with me.

We’ll leave Sense8 out of it – although I question your reasoning if you think that show is terrible.

• Joey says:

I don’t think that’s true. If you look at AV Club, for example, only one episode this season was given less than a B+ rating (“Kimmy is a Feminist!” earned a C grade). I, for one, thought the season was highly entertaining, and I thought the same thing for Sense8 S2.

• Winter says:

I thought it was really good in it’s 3rd season. I never watched Sense8 but I feel your pain. It’s just like you said expensive and doesn’t have nearly the same amount of viewers or cultural impact.

• abz says:

I just don’t see why Netflix is unwilling to even do a Sense8 wrap up special or something to resolve the storylines. I understand that the cost was a huge reason given how many countries they film in, but with the season 2 finale and [SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER] the sensates ending up in the same location, so wouldn’t filming in one, maybe two countries lower the cost? Plus a wrap up special or movie isn’t 13 episodes so that would be less costly too. It was a really good quality show and it’s such a shame that they can’t even resolve the cliffhangers they left. Hopefully they change their minds or the writers can publish an online comic or short story or something to resolve it.

• A fan of TV says:

I agree it wasn’t as strong but I definitely didn’t find them unwatchable, myself. I thought we’d get more Jon Hamm, for one thing, and was sad to lose David Cross, but I still think the show has tons of potential, and I hope Mikey picks Titus!

• Raftrap says:

I’m on the other side of the spectrum, I was waiting for patiently to fall in love with UKS for two seasons (I laughed to some episodes more than others), but I just loved season three, to me the show finally found its tone, I laughed so hard at the “Hold your horses…cherish them” joke, and I can’t wait for more Kimmy Schmidt now as a real fan.

4. Ted says:

This news calls for some serious Lemonading.

5. Kristina says:

YESSSS MY FAVORITE!!!!

6. Jay says:

More Jane Krakowski and less of the landlady (don’t think I’ve laughed once at any of her storylines in three years)!

• Kay says:

Yeah I agree. Maybe it takes a particular brand of humor to enjoy her? I find her super annoying. But gosh Jane Krakowski needs more screentime!

• Ann says:

More Jane! Jane and Titus are great together. The land lady is overbearing at times. She needs less screen time. More Kimmy goes to college! I kind of like having Jane’s college daughter going to college with her, I wanted to see more of that aspect. They can switch out that old lady with Jane’s step daughter (I can’t remember that character’s name because she had so little screen time and was totally absent in season 2).

7. GK says:

Yay for more Kimmy!

Nay for no more Sense8! Those females were strong as hell too. :(

8. Bill says:

YES! More boobs in california

9. Ray says:

I’m glad. I just hope the writing is more even in season 4 than it was this year. Some episodes really dragged.

10. M says:

I enjoyed S3, especially the episodes with Daveed Diggs. Hope he returns. However, my Netflix subscription is going to be periodic only now after the Sense8 mess – a month here or there for one or two shows.

11. MOjo says:

Sweet! I loved Season 3. For me, it was the best season yet. Re: Sense8 … still reeling. Sob.

12. carolyn scardino says:

i love love love this show…..

13. Carolina says:

I want more and more adventures of Kimmy Schmidt its hilarius my favorite Titus love it makes me laugh a lot!! I hope continues for 8 seasons¡ makes me great company.

14. Debbie Matthew says:

Love the show!! Can’t wait for season 4! Wish it was only on once a week though cuz I binge watch it then it’s over and I have to wait sooooo long for next season!!!!

15. Stacy Maloney says:

So excited….. I love that they can make a hysterical comedy with out dropping curse words every 5 seconds. Writing and casting are brilliant and the topics are fantastic! Binge watched the first 3 seasons so don’t keep us waiting too long for #4. Cheers!! 👏

16. Xandra Dean says:

I CAN’T wait for season 4!!!! I love this show!!!! I’m on the last episode of season 3. I re-watched sessions 1&2 and now I’m sad that it’s over lol 😭 #bestshow

17. SD says:

Can’t wait for season 4, for sure. I’m a new viewer that’s been recommended to KS since it started and binged it all in a week. I definitely agree that S3 included say more storylines that included Lillian (&a her man), and the weird Redskins/Rusty’s fam, as well as lots of Titus (which is fine but can be overkill) – sometimes I want more Kimmy. I’ll keep watching. I agree with the person that said Crazy Ex Gf’s home should for sure be Netflix. What’s cool is that now they release the season pretty soon after it airs (they did that for season 2). Haven’t seen sense8. Just started ‘friends from college’, obvi diff from kimmy as kimmy is like someone said super quirky / but worth a try! I have pretty much binged that one in a day! And yes too much time on my hands right now! Watched GLOW too. Diff than all the other ones (and I’m super picky about shows) and I watched it all. If it doesn’t pick up a bit a may drop it but it was definitely interesting.

18. Shannon Rands says:

Yay!!! I’m addicted! This show is hilarious. I have gotten others to binge watch!

19. Den57 says: