Emmys

Emmys 2017: Supporting Actress in a Comedy — Our 6 Dream Nominees

Live from New York, this is… Kate McKinnon’s Emmy to lose.

The Saturday Night Live vet — who scored her first golden girl last year on the strength of her Hillary Clinton impersonation — will undoubtedly snag a Supporting Actress in a Comedy nomination this year. And she’s the odds-on favorite to win again.

But our Dream Emmy nods aren’t about who we think will be nominated. They’re about who should be nominated. And, while McKinnon once again made our short list, she is surrounded by five extremely formidable funny ladies, all of whom could easily pull off an upset win (assuming, you know, that Emmy voters do the right thing and nominate them).

Flip through the gallery to the right — or click here for direct access — to view out picks, and then weigh in with your own nominations below.

For the record, Emmy voting is currently underway and will wrap up on June 26. The nominations themselves will be unveiled on July 13. Meanwhile, the 69th Primetime Emmy Awards ceremony, hosted by Late Show frontman Stephen Colbert, is set to air on Sunday, Sept. 17 on CBS.

Scroll down for links to our previous Dream Emmy categories:

Outstanding Drama Series — Our 7 Dream Emmy Picks
Outstanding Lead Actress, Drama — Our 6 Dream Emmy Picks
Outstanding Lead Actor, Drama — Our 6 Dream Emmy Picks
Outstanding Supporting Actress, Drama — Our 6 Dream Emmy Picks
Outstanding Supporting Actor, Drama — Our 6 Dream Emmy Picks
Outstanding Comedy Series — Our 7 Dream Emmy Picks
Outstanding Lead Actress, Comedy — Our 7 Dream Emmy Picks
Outstanding Lead Actor, Comedy — Our 7 Dream Emmy Picks

1. ladyluck527 says:

No Rita Moreno from One Day at a Time?

2. Kevin Tran says:

I’m already on the Kate McKinnon bandwagon.

3. dan says:

I agree that Kate McKinnon is the front runner and probably deserves the win again. I’d add Rita Moreno for One Day At a Time and Mayim Bialik for TBBT to the list. Although I’m an Andrea Martin fan usually, I think she is too over-the-top on Great News. I’m also not a fan of the woman on The Good Place (but then again, I didn’t love the show and stopped watching after a few episodes). I think this is a tough category with lots of potential nominees.

4. Ken says:

I like Andrea Martin, but no the performance is just ok and the show is just plain bad. How it got renewed is beyond me. There are other more deserving actresses who could fill in that slot.

5. LT says:

I love Donna Lynne…but this should be a repeat for McKinnon, no question!

6. sporcleqlh27 says:

I love these nominees! I wish you would have had room for Rita Moreno and one of the supporting ladies from Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. My favorite supporting performance is Andrea Martin, I’m hoping she can get a nomination.

7. xwiseguyx says:

Thanks for including Andrea Martin. She was the first person to come to mind, but usually critics and I have opposite views.

8. LizWebberFan says:

I’m rooting for Kate and Alec at the Emmys this year.

9. Marissa says:

I want Carden to win for two specific reasons:

1) cacti
    2) her “death” scene

10. spindae2 says:

Donna Lynne Chmplin deserves a nod so much. Sh was simply brillint in this season of CeG. I really hope the academy gets over theirCW bias and gets her nd Rachel nominted. Comedic gold

11. LMF says:

kate Mckinnon great actresses but is wasting it on Killary. Great news terrible show but martin could be ok. Watch good place cuz ted is in it but not crazy about it but better than some. Mayim good.. none exciting tho

12. matty says:

My Dream Nominees:

Kate McKinnon, Saturday Night Live
    Jennifer Lewis, Black-Ish
    Allison Williams, Girls
    Aidy Bryant, Saturday Night Live
    Vanessa Bayer, Saturday Night Live
    Jane Krakowski, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

13. Brent says:

I can’t believe Rita Moreno didn’t make this list! She was a great part of a great show.

And I know neither of these are anywhere close, but I’d LOVE to see Lauren Ash or Nichole Bloom from Superstore get recognized as well.

14. LMP says:

Hmm if Andrea Martin is nominated, it should be for “Difficult People” – she was a supreme scene-stealer this season. That episode where she had her OCD patient cleaning her house as “therapy” after losing her housekeeper had me on the floor. And god, I love Tina Fey, but her cameo was upstaged by Martin’s crazy “video will.” Martin is phenomenal in this role.

15. R says:

Melissa McCarthy as Spicey has to get a nomination! The emmy rules state that only cameo/single episode appearances can not be submitted in the supporting category. She appeared as Spicey four times this season.