Tony Awards Ratings 2017

Ratings: Tony Awards Drop vs. 2016's Hamilton-Fueled 15-Year High

CBS’ broadcast of the 71st Tony Awards on Sunday night drew 6 million total viewers and a 0.9 demo rating, down 31 and 44 percent from last year’s fast nationals.

TVLine readers gave the telecast an average grade of “B-,” while host Kevin Spacey earned a “B+.’

NBC’s broadcast of the Stanley Cup Finals (6.5 mil/2.1) dominated the night in the demo, up a good 30 percent from last year’s Game 6. Leading into that, Sunday Night With Megyn Kelly (4.4 mil/0.9) lost some viewers yet ticked up in the demo vs. its premiere.

Elsewhere….

ABC | Celebrity Family Feud returned to 6.9 mil/1.5 — drawing the night’s biggest audience while placing second in the demo — followed by Steve Harvey’s Funderdome‘s 6.1 mil/1.4 and $100,000 Pyramid‘s 5.6 mil/1.2.

FOX | American Grit returned to 1.1 mil and a 0.4.

1. mabesny says:

IMO, Kevin Spacey is the worst host in recent memory. I will admit he had big shoes to fill following Neil Patrick Harris, Hugh Jackman, and James Corden but he really was bad. The opening number was awful and sounded flat–I couldn’t wait for it to end. It would be nice to have a woman host next year. Bette Midler!

• Ann says:

I don’t think he did that bad. He did a good job. The show really had terrible sound problems, that’s not his fault. He actually sings real well.

2. Kevin Tran says:

Congrats to the Pittsburgh Penguins to repeat as Stanley Cup champions. Really hope they’re not thinking about going 3 for 3 next year.

3. kmw says:

No surprise with the hockey nor the Tony Awards. Megyn Kelly going up even a tenth is surprising. ABC sure has a good combination for summer for its game shows but FOX doesn’t. a 0.4 for American Grit? Yikes. Congrats to Pens I thought it would go to seven games

4. Iakovos says:

Kevin Spacey was a failure as Tonys host. It is 2017 not 1997! And the impasse between DOLLY producers and Tony folks to get Midler in a number disappoints. I would have been happy with Elegance ft the four featured players than the Vandergelder number. Nominally the male lead, the character is not who you remember. Tonys need to be current and capitalize on the the HAMILTON and GLEE residual effect. I would lave liked to see more marquees, numbers from long-running shows. Maybe a brief video of designers’ work. Telecast just did not seem sophisticated or glittery enough for me.

5. LVCJC says:

“Tony’s So White.” WTH? Plays are generally diversified and I was surprised by the lack of that in the productions, the nominees and the winners. I found the choice of clips from the musicals weak. Normally, those moments can carry the show and get you excited to go to Broadway. I’ve never been so dissapointed in this annual award show as I was this year. Not putting the blame on Kevin Spacey, he’s not responsible for the overall poor production, etc.

6. A fan of TV says:

Come From Away and the Preds were who I rooted for in last night’s TV. Big losses for me. :( TonysSoWhite, indeed, and treating DEH like the second coming of Hamilton will not age well. Should have spread the awards around a bit more, and shut Bette’s mic off, sheesh! Talk about self-importance.

• TheDuck0 says:

You do know that the Tony winners are determined by a vote, right? How would you suggest they “spread the awards” around?

And please don’t start with the “Tonys So White” nonsense. Last year’s big winner was a play that featured actors of color in all the leading roles, and it’s still the hottest ticket on Broadway. Stop looking to be offended.

7. Tom says:

I feel bad for all those Predator fans, even the bandwagon ones. Though if it had been most any other team, save maybe for the Maple Leafs or Capitals, I would probably have been rooting for the Predators too. But, the Penguins are my top favorite pro team of any sport, so of course I was going to root for them.

8. No ratings for last night’s new episode of Bob’s Burgers?

9. Jake L. says:

Since it was obvious that the show’s ratings would be down from the Hamilton-juiced show last year, I am more curious how this year’s show compared to the show from 2 years ago, when the winner was Fun Home.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

About the same vs. 2015 (which marked the lowest-rated, second-least-watched Tonys — opposite the NBA Finals).

• Kimberly Mlejnek says:

Jake that was my exact question… Nothing was going to draw as much as last year. Thank you for asking the questioned that really matter…. And for the record – Spacey did so much better than I thought he would. Those were HUGE SHOES TO FULL but nothing was the excitement that Linn created